• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ Farmers Markets 2005

lafayette was smaller but a bit better today as the first veg are starting to come in. :biggrin:

Bear Creek Berry Patch had the first of their raspberries. Ren(who i have know for 20+ years from here in Jefferson when he owned a pizza joint) said they were only able to pick about 20 pints between the ladybugs and the weather. also picked up a bottle of raspberry honey from their farm.

picked up a blueberry crumb pie from Windy Brow Farms. they had cherries and raspberries as well as their crullers.

got a chance to talk to the owners of danaray farm about their pasture raised pork and chickens as well as the new winter csa they are starting. they had eggs, herbs and the first broccoli, garlic and cauliflower.

popped across the way to the usual supplier of most of my veg(sorry have forgotten the name) a pint of strawberries and a pint of purple green beans here. they also had the first lettuce, vibrant yellow squash as well as zucchini and 8 ball (round) squash. beets and turnips but since john won't eat beets - any beets including golden - i skipped them.

unfortunately the cheese guy and the goat cheese lady gave today a skip - guess it was busier on the farms themselves.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I'm of the feeling that Farmer's Markets should only have vendors who sell things that grow in the ground, that they grew themselves.  Jams are a very questionable item for a Farm Market, IMHO.  [...]

I agree. Jersey City has at least 3 farmers' markets. The two I visited in the last 2 weeks specifically for tomatoes were not home grown. I was told they weren't in season yet, at least in these parts. Granted, they had nice stuff, but $5/lb. for tomatoes that aren't even home grown is ridiculous. I'm of the opinion they shouldn't sell it if they aren't home grown.

Rutherford market opened this week. Hooray!

Snap peas & beans looked pretty bad, the climate has not been kind to them, I fear. Bought some beans, haven't tried them yet.

Fabulous red lettuce & peaches. Omigod peaches. At last.

And corn. Not very sweet yet, but the freshness..... Still the best so far this year. And it's only gonna get better.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

well, the pickings are getting better-

raspberries and blackberries - with some blueberries from home this became a steamed pudding

fresh carrots - cooked then added shallot and dill and vinaigrette

radishes - some mixed with some cukes in a vinaigrette; others made into a

radish soup

bi- color corn - this will be for dinner tonight, edited to say eh...i should have waited

aged cheddar

yellow and green squash - sauteed with some garlic and onion

can't wait to see what will come in next week

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Went to Hasbrock Heights because I'd run out of produce & it's not that far. It's really just two farmers set up along a street there. But good looking corn, & one farmer had much better beans than were available in Rutherford last week. Got some more peaches & sugar plums.

All in all, worth the trip. Particularly since I'd just come from Whole Foods, where all they had were California peaches. Man, that's just so depressing. Thank God for farmers' markets, large & small.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

According to the NJ website, River Vale begins July 7th. Oh! and they just called me back, so that confirms it. Is it Rivervale or River Vale? I see it both ways on the various websites.

Actually to be precise it is River Vale (but some folks mis-spell it) or if you're in doubt zip code 07675 (which encompasses River Vale, Old Tappan and Westwood NJ) I only know because I live here.

I love the PA dutch truck they have great cookies and pies and breads and stuff. Also all the fresh veggies and fruits some are very reasonably priced. They are always there on Thursdays from Mid July more or less until around/about Thanksgiving or Halloween time - I always forget which. (usually first snow or frost or so...)

They are on Mark Lane? in River Vale which is if you're heading north on River Vale Road from Westwood ave it's a left before the country club, if you're heading south it's the right (NOT the left or you'll make a heck of a splash) after the country club. They usually have signs. (You can always follow the bike-path signs too)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

The Hasbrouck Heights beans were decent, the corn exceptional. Not quite at season's peak but very close. Decidedly worth the detour.

Well, I got to go to the River Vale farmers' market today and it is an improvement over last year's for the most part. They had a few new additions, including a seafood/pasta vendor named Panzarella's and a pickle vendor, Paul's Pickles. Panzarella's had some very interesting stuff, including crab cakes, frozen shrimp, and fresh pastas and raviolis in addiiton to mozzarella and fresh breads. I bought a small mozzarella, but I may buy some more stuff the next time. It was a bit expensive, but it all looked so good! The gentleman manning the pickle booth, whom I'm assuming was Paul, told me he used to work for Picklelicious in Teaneck and then left to start his own company. He has a store in Ridgefield Park and hopes to open a store in Fair Lawn. His pickles are nearly identical to the Picklelicious pickles, although he told me his were not kosher. (That's OK with me as long as they taste good, which they do, just like Picklelicious.) The Amish group is once again selling baked goods and they are selling cheeses as well this year. They had a few different kinds for $3.25 for blocks that look like they're about 12 oz. or so. (Very cheap!) I bought a cajun cheddar, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. The produce vendors were OK, but there was nothing real special. One vendor was selling ferns, which a lot of people seemed to like. I bought a few things, such as grape tomatoes, white peaches, a couple of yukon gold potatoes, and a bunch of basil. The produce vendors in Ridgewood are much better though, and cheaper. Overall, it was a good trip, and I will most likely return, but overall I find the Ridgewood market to be the superior of the two. I do want to go back to get some more cheese and perhaps some fresh pasta and shrimp and River Vale though!

One other warning about the River Vale market: parking is brutal, so get there early. (They hold the market on Thursdays from 1pm-6pm.) The vendors are now set up over a large section of the lot, eliminating about half of the parking spaces from an area with inadequate parking to begin with. I had no problem getting a spot when I arrived at about 12:45, but when I left at about 1:15 it took me about five minutes to back my car out between all the traffic and people walking.

Edited by zhelder (log)

The Amish group is once again selling baked goods and they are selling cheeses as well this year. They had a few different kinds for $3.25 for blocks that look like they're about 12 oz. or so. (Very cheap!) I bought a cajun cheddar, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.  I do want to go back to get some more cheese and perhaps some fresh pasta and shrimp and River Vale though!

One other warning about the River Vale market: parking is brutal, so get there early. (They hold the market on Thursdays from 1pm-6pm.) The vendors are now set up over a large section of the lot, eliminating about half of the parking spaces from an area with inadequate parking to begin with. I had no problem getting a spot when I arrived at about 12:45, but when I left at about 1:15 it took me about five minutes to back my car out between all the traffic and people walking.

Yup that's the PA Dutch/Amish that I mentioned... I like their mixxed cookies, homemade breads and jams/jellies, hubby liked their strawberry rhubarb pie. They always have such wonderful things that all the good stuff sells out in the first hour or two sometimes. I need to go check out that panz' guy. I figure best thing is to get there at 12:30, listen to some tunes or read a book until they open up that way I can park nearby. Just a suggestion! Enjoy... you have to love my town. :wub:

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

• 2 weeks later...

So far this year, I'm finding that the best farmers' market corn is to be had from the Von Thun Farms stand.

Their page of "Tailgate Markets" at the above site seems to be last year's, since this year I found them at the little Hasbrock Heights market on Tuesdays. I hate to diss my own town's market, but Von Thun's corn has proven to be worth the extra few miles.

Though I'm still finding better peaches & lettuce at the Rutherford market. Shopping around is part of the fun of summertime.

So far this year, I'm finding that the best farmers' market corn is to be had from the Von Thun Farms stand.

Their page of "Tailgate Markets" at the above site seems to be last year's, since this year I found them at the little Hasbrock Heights market on Tuesdays.  I hate to diss my own town's market, but Von Thun's corn has proven to be worth the extra few miles.

After reading this I located their farm and took a drive there today. Got some nice tomatoes, peaches, corn, and more. My only issue was that the gal at the register didn't really know what she was doing. She was going to charge me $2.50/lb for peaches instead of $1.50 and 99 cents a lb for tomatoes (the price of the ones in the "imperfect" bin) instead of $2.49/lb. I should have let her.

She also couldn't really answer any of my questions.

It wasn't worth the trip, but it was nice out and we were up for a drive. Next time I will head over to the Metuchen farm market on Saturday and get my produce there.

Our favorite farm markets are on route 206...but...too far for a special trip.

P.S. the bi-color corn from Von Thun's was way better than the white. (they had both)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

I picked up a couple of eight ball zucchinis at the Montclair FM at the Walnut Street train station yesterday. For those unfamiliar with them (I was until last year), picture a zuke the size and shape of a grapefruit. I also picked up a piece of Colby with chives, some new pickles from the Pickleicious stand, and a couple of pieces of bi-color corn. Haven't tried any of it yet since I was on the run all weekend, but the stuff I tasted there was delicious.

My bro and SIL are part of one of the organic CSAs in Montclair, and they had a crazy amount of peaches this week, so I didn't buy any fruit from the FM since I knew I'd be getting a bunch of them. The peaches are WONDERFUL. So fuzzy. :wub: And SO sweet! I made a peach and blueberry gallette with some of them last night...a perfect summer dessert, if I do say so myself! :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I picked up a couple of eight ball zucchinis at the Montclair FM at the Walnut Street train station yesterday.  ........ I also picked up a piece of Colby with chives,

The Colby with chives is from the Stoney Croft Farm in Lafayette NJ. The Bechtold family also makes a wonderful aged Cheddar (2.5 years) from its closed herd farm of Jersey (!) cattle.

I think the Cheddar works out to about $12 a pound, a bargain compared with some other artisanal cheeses.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

TUESDAY

Camden: 9-3, Walter Rand Transportation Center

East Orange: 9:30-5, 192 Halstedt Street, Lot D (at Central Avenue, behind AutoZone)

Elizabeth: 11-6, Union Square Plaza, Elizabeth Ave & High St

Hasbrouck Heights: 12-6, Boulevard & Washington Pl.

Hoboken: 3-7:30, Newark St & Washington St

Jersey City: 11-7, Pavonia East Street; 3-6, St. Patrick’s church, Bramhall & Ocean Ave.

Millburn: 8-2, Essex and Main St.

Pilesgrove: 8-4, Cowtown Farmers Market, 780 Route 40

West Cape May: 3-8, 732 Broadway, Borough Hall parking lot

The Hasbrouck Heights market shut down at 5:00 today, I barely made it.

I didn't think to ask whether this was due to the extreme heat or a permanent change. It was too hot to hang around & converse.

P.S. the bi-color corn from Von Thun's was way better than the white. (they had both)

Agreed. Before this week the white had been better - larger kernels and sweeter, it must develop earlier - but there always comes a point in the season where the bi-color becomes the better.

• 4 weeks later...

The bicolor corn I got at the Rutherford market on Weds seems to be at season's peak, just so full of sweet freshness & flavor.

The white corn I got the previous week was over teh hill, a disappointment. I blame that week's murderous heat for making me addle-brained.

Summer's waning always saddens me, I want to hang onto those peaches & corn & tomatoes forever.

oh, JUST GREAT!!!!! the last sunday i can get to lafayette (unless it is seriously raining) and it was the best visit.

Windybrow had the first apples, peaches and seriously good plums. got my eggs from Danarae but skipped the fresh herbs this time. didn't need cheese. scored the first heirloom tomatoes of the year: brandywines, oxhearts, and two or three other kinds along with purple potatoes and beans, zucchini and leeks.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I stopped by the Livingston Mall today, but didn't see any market set up.  Was this a one time deal or does it not exist anymore?

Livingston has a market on Thurs. at "Fire House Commons" (Livingston Ave near Mt. Pleasant) from 2 p.m. to 6?

Dont' know if they still have the one at the mall, although I do know when they did they started noon or later.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

• 2 months later...

FYI, the Montclair FM will be open for the next two Saturdays (11/12 and 11/19); then they close for the season. Snif...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 4 months later...
Here is a link to information on the NJ Farmers Markets.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/farmersmarkets/States/NewJersey.htm

We were at the one in Montclair last Saturday and bought some beautiful lettuce, tomatoes, radishes, beets and cucumbers. Let us know where you go and about the produce.

Note: Click here to page down to a list of NJ Farmers Markets by days of the week. Rachel

Is it June yet? I can't wait for the Farmer's Market Season to begin.

That makes two of us! In the off season I go to the Appletree Farmers Market (indoors) at the top of Kinderkamack Road in Montvale. They sometimes have some good fruit and vegetable bargains as well as a small fresh salad bar and small deli/sushi bar in the back of the store and a florist with cut flowers in the front.

I wonder whether the River Vale FM will go back to its old format of being in the field rather in the parking lot. But I guess it was killing the grass?

As for the Appletree market, I frequented it years ago when it first opened up. I wasn't too impressed with the quality of the produce because I found a lot of the stuff was shriveled up or starting to decompose here and there. =( I kept going trying to figure out if there were a pattern or if they were working out kinks but it seemed to almost become standard. I'm supposing that's not the case anymore? That was one of the reasons I stopped going. The other was that it didn't seem to be a farmer's market per se but just another typical produce store that are often owned by Koreans (from what I've seen around northern NJ). Should I give em another chance?

I'm hoping to go to the Trenton farmers market today - haven't been there in a year. Has anyone been there lately?

A little late in replying but I go to the Trenton Farmers market regularly. In season they can't be beat for tomatos, lima beans, brussel sprouts and squash.

Beside that, the Polish specialty meat shop has the absolute best double smoked garlic kielbasa on the planet. Down the aisle a bit is a little specialty Italian that has Zabar's hearth baked breads and nice imported risotto, great stuff.