• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Convention Center in DC: where to eat?

MelissaH

We here at Poste, in the hotel Monaco, regularly handle convention groups with menus and prices that seem to fit your requirements. You can contact our Private Dining coordinator, Sean, at 202-783-6060 ext 162, for more information. Hope this helps, enjoy your visit to DC.

Poste

We here at Poste, in the hotel Monaco, regularly handle convention groups with menus and prices that seem to fit your requirements.  You can contact our Private Dining coordinator, Sean, at 202-783-6060 ext 162, for more information.  Hope this helps, enjoy your visit to DC.

Thanks for the info. Our arrangements for this meeting are already set, and in reality I can't do anything other than suggest places. The actual decisions are made by others, and if we're really lucky we have someone who lives in the area who can check it out and let the rest of us know whether to come hungry. (We had a couple of really bad restaurant experiences: in NYC at a Mars-themed place that was far more suited to the bday parties for 10-year-olds that were around us and served us food that tasted worse than prefab, and in Anaheim at a place that was pretty much a Denny's by another name. Those two, at back-to-back meetings, nearly caused a full-blown revolt.)

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• 2 years later...
I have a similar question to Melissa's years later but with a change: I'm looking for places within walking distance of the CC but for 2-3 persons rather than a dozen.

Would the same ones be recommended?

Thanks.

I've been lax on this because I keep thinking I'll get down to that neighborhood for some errand or another but it keeps not happening. I hesitate to recommend Brasserie Beck to someone who probably lives near 20 of them -- at least this one isn't owned by a chain :wink: -- but it offers a decent meal. And I'm not sure what you consider walking distance, but Rasika is a pleasant walk if you have time, and I like their Indian food quite a bit. I seem to recall that you've been to Cafe Atlantico, which can be hit or miss but always seems worth a gamble. Also by the same owner Jaleo and its small plates and Oyamel for upscale Mexican. Again, all these are a nice stroll away, but probably not if you only have an hour for lunch. There's not too much close to the Convention Center itself.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I have a similar question to Melissa's years later but with a change: I'm looking for places within walking distance of the CC but for 2-3 persons rather than a dozen.Would the same ones be recommended?Thanks.

I've been lax on this because I keep thinking I'll get down to that neighborhood for some errand or another but it keeps not happening. I hesitate to recommend Brasserie Beck to someone who probably lives near 20 of them -- at least this one isn't owned by a chain :wink: -- but it offers a decent meal. And I'm not sure what you consider walking distance, but Rasika is a pleasant walk if you have time, and I like their Indian food quite a bit. I seem to recall that you've been to Cafe Atlantico, which can be hit or miss but always seems worth a gamble. Also by the same owner Jaleo and its small plates and Oyamel for upscale Mexican. Again, all these are a nice stroll away, but probably not if you only have an hour for lunch. There's not too much close to the Convention Center itself.

I hesitate to recommend Brasserie Beck to someone who probably lives near 20 of them
Not so much as to turn me off.
I seem to recall that you've been to Cafe Atlantico
Love it as well as Jaleo.

Thanks much Charles.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 1 month later...

Here are the results:

I arrived on a wonderfully sunny warm (70º F.) day and there was a walk for breast cancer around the CC and convention hotels that added a festive air. As I walked to the CC, I noticed that one resto I’d considered, Acadiana, was closed during the meeting for a “private function” held by the company that translated, published and disseminated the Spanish edition of a textbook I had something to do with, so I couldn’t feel too resentful.

However, I ate well elsewhere.

My final and best meal was at Zaytinya, a sister resto of Jose Andres’ Jaleo’s, Atlantico and Oyamel, featuring mezzes from the Mediterranean. I went a tad early, they had a nice outside area but I chose the inside with ample space between tables, etc. As everyone here knows, Zaytinya means olive oil in Turkish, but Turkish food does not impose itself, sharing top billing with (horrors) Greek, Lebanese and Israeli dishes. Andres is at his best here, setting up a staff (kitchen and front room) that is professional, diverse and informed. I started with two mezzes, (1) squash blossoms, hard to do correctly, quickly dead, heaven if proper and often overcooked – stuffed with tomato, feta and sitting on a bed of cusinarted kalamata olives – in a word – wonderful and (2) Cretan snails in an essence of garlic with unintrusive ouzo, topped with fried crisply parsley on a bed of potato puree – very very good (the only problem for a geezer – was too much salt). I was going to quit with that but the dessert/cheese menu arrived and the two Israeli cheeses spoke to me: I had the Tilton goat rather than the Tavor sheep d/t my Mexican waiter’s advice and I was not disappointed – it was quite good, albeit not blue-cheesy as he posited. I finished with the Turkish coffee (not Greek mind you, but you all know that war) that was also quite good. With the above and 2 glasses of wine one got out for $51. Oh yes, the pita, souffléd like the potatoes of yore, was good, the bathrooms and lavabos extraordinary and there were (gasp) towels not air-blowers.

The first night I ate with Colette and a friend from Geneva at an “old haunt,” the Café Atlantico, which is as good for dinner as it has been for Colette and I for their weekend Latin dim sums. The idea of several small plates that are super really appeals to me more than tons of food as mains. We had the octopus, soup special, foie gras and scallop starters and softshell crab main, only. The bill was $143.00 for three before tipping.

The second night I again ate with Colette and our Geneva colleague/friend at Tenpenh on the advice of a world-traveler buddy/Gym partner of Colette’s – a good rec. Again, we had small plates that were terrific – shrimp and chive dumplings, calamars not drenched in batter atop a mountain of fresh greens with a spicy sauce, and shrimp & pork spring rolls that Colette thought were flavorless with dipping sauces that Colette “did not find exciting at all” but I liked - as well as huge side dishes of friend spinach and wok’d beans and finally, a shared dessert. The bill was $84.60 for three with tip.

Ironically, the following day my “forced” group lunch was at Ceiba, a “Passion Food” sister of Acadiana, DC Coast and Tenpenh, where we were offered a choice of salad or Cuban black bean soup for firsts; salmon or chicken for mains; and flan or fresh fruit for dessert. I thought the choices of Jamaican jerk salmon or Argentinean chicken breast were ridiculous but suspected they had some Argentinean beef that would be good, if I could finagle a substitution, which I did; and the almost bloody rare beef with onion rings was a marvel. I liked the salmon and flan and fruit too. The pleasant surprise, though, was a coffee, pressed a la 1960; intense, dense and rich. The Malbec was pretty decent too. The bill, I have no idea, I wasn’t paying.

That night I supped at the Old Ebbitt Grill, an old fave that I hadn’t been to in 20 years but was located a comfortable walking distance between my reception venue and home. I know, I know, I know; it’s a tourist trap, like, for me, Lipp or the Tour d’Argent, but I couldn’t resist. I started with a half-dozen little necks, perfect product, perfectly chilled, perfectly served. Then something I recalled from the Mayflower’s café, the French dip, listed as “with au jus,” oh well. The beef was the very worst product imaginable, overcooked, with nice sliced red onion and an intriguing horseradish sauce but horrible jus and slaw. The meal was saved by the elegance of my beautiful Belorussian waitress, who I advised to find employment in a better, less touristy, more upscale place. The bill was a tad over $40 but the price-quality ratio was the worst of this trip.

Post Scriptum: Since folks always ask me where to stay in Paris and I’m clueless, I thought I would pass on good news about the Kimpton hotel I stayed at in DC, the Helix, where the staff was so genuinely friendly and kind and nice that I thought I’d time-travelled to Heaven. That combined with the wine hour, outside patio and reasonable price, made life much easier.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

An excellent choice near the new convention center is the newly reopened Corduroy. Chef Tom Power and staff have moved to a handsomely renovated former townhouse at 9th and K Sts NW. The menu hasn't changed for now, but expect Chef Power to start making some major menu changes once they settle in. Try any of the exquisite soups.

Corduroy

1122 9th Street NW

Washington, DC 20001

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

An excellent choice near the new convention center is the newly reopened Corduroy.  Chef Tom Power and staff have moved to a handsomely renovated former townhouse at 9th and K Sts NW.  The menu hasn't changed for now, but expect Chef Power to start making some major menu changes once they settle in.  Try any of the exquisite soups.

Corduroy

1122 9th Street NW

Washington, DC 20001

Ditto, I ate there Friday night and it is as good or better than before, which is saying something.

• 4 weeks later...

This looks like the most appropriate and recent thread to add an experience we had while in DC last weekend....

I scanned this board before leaving Kansas City, and for whatever reason (probably the fact that my sense of humor is like Beavis) New Big Wong was the one place that stuck out in my memory. So when we were in the Chinatown/Gallery area to see a movie, we went around the corner from the Metro to walk through Chinatown and there it was.....

We were ready for some lunch, and I have to say that while it's a typical "American" Chinese dish that you see on every carryout menu, their Mongolian Beef was without question the best I've ever had. I've always been used to the texture of the beef resemble something like a rawhide chew toy, but the beef in the New Big Wong version was nearly melt in your mouth tender. The look of the grain reminded me of slow cooked brisket point. Perfect amount of sauce, lots of onion, a deep smoky flavor.....more than enough food for us to share.

I also saw something on the menu that I've never seen in any of the Chinese restaurants in my hometown..."General Tso's Bean Curd". I may have to see if I can special order it around here. We did try an order at Charlie Chiang's one day at lunch, but I'm guessing it can be made with less oil than their version......

Edited by Zeemanb (log)

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

• 1 year later...

If you don't mind a ten-block walk up ninth street, you'll find yourself in Little Ethiopia, with Etete being the go-to joint. Corduroy (just got three stars from the Post) is right around the corner on 9th if you want to splurge, and Brasserie Beck is maybe three blocks away on K and 12th, if you've a hankering for Belgian beer or French/Belgian food (avoid the "choucroute," however).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

A lot of people rave about Proof, especially the charcuterie. We were there before the Springsteen show last Monday night, and I saw a couple of those platters go by - they looked damn good. Some house made stuff, some Fra Mani salumi; huge platter for $28 - easily sharable. And very good cocktails, with Adam behind the stick.

Jaleo is nearby as well. A number of the DC restaurants seem to offer nice happy hour deals as well - including cocktails, something that we rarely see here in NY at the high-end cocktail places (really, there is no need when you're always packed).

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?