• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seduction cuisine for both sexes

Roasted beets, at least when served by a man to a woman is about as sure fire as any food I know.
detlechef, I roast beets and have never found them particularly "arousing" so, if I might inquire, are you using some sort of seductive sauce? Serving them in some erotic manner? :rolleyes:

Well, for starters, I did say "when served by a man to woman", so I can't speak of the effect in your case. I'll also say that I have eaten roasted beets on plenty of occasions that didn't result in any hanky panky. Certainly the intention to seduce must accompany the preparation, but the I think the basal and earthy richness helps remind us of our true instincts and purpose on this world. It reminds us that we are animals and, thus...

I'm totally not buying this. I don't think think any woman ever, who was not born in Russia or the Ukraine, slept with a man because he cooked her beets. Never, never, never. :laugh:

The one time I ever tried to seduce a woman through dinner, she broke off the drunken kiss and said "I just can't explain."

I'll never know if the steak with red wine pan sauce almost got a lesbian into my bed, or if my bad cooking sent her over the other team for good. :laugh:

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

This thread reminds me of John Guare's House of Blue Leaves, one of the characters has a monologue where she explains to her married lover that she will sleep with him freely but will not cook for him until after he gets a divorce and marries her, she keeps scrap books of the dishs she will cook for him when he gets a divorce, she seductively describes duck a l'orange (Christine Baranski was soo great in this role)

her rational is she's ok in bed but she's a fabulous cook.

I don't insist that they marry me but I do wait until they've bought me jewelry

:wink:

Edited by aliwaks (log)

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

I'm totally not buying this.  I don't think think any woman ever, who was not born in Russia or the Ukraine, slept with a man because he cooked her beets.  Never, never, never.  :laugh:

As a tennis fan I can say with absolute certainty that you could do worse than seduce a Russian woman. In fact, it's funny that beets get lumped in with them as both are victims of an undeserved poor rep. Thanks to cold war propoganda we were fed as children, Russian women inspire visions of coarse, manish beasts when in fact they are among the most beautiful women in the world. As for beets, we're led to believe that nobody likes them. However, I've yet to meet that person.

Oh, and for the record, one can't just simply serve a big pile of beets and hope to get in anyone's pants. But don't underestimate the power of the beet.

But don't underestimate the power of the beet.

I once tried this recipe for beets but remembered too late that their juices "bleed" over anything in which they are used ... the general recipe: the beets are roasted, then sliced, and finally cut into heart shaped sizes with a cookie cutter and placed in a Boston lettuce salad ... they make a definite romantic statement when served in this Heart Beet Salad. :wub:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I made a red and white meal at Valentines day.

Veuve with a raspberry heart

Carpaccio

lamb loin rare, heirloom beets, red radicchio

desert we enjoyed in bed - coeur a la creme with strawberries-some dipped in noir de noir...

it was a memorable weekend and 6 months...and then just like that

phhfft it was gone

theme meal, i should have known better! :hmmm:

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

phhfft it was gone

Six months, huh? Not bad but for that carpacchio and rare lamb loin plus the Veuve, it really should have lasted a bit longer ... :hmmm:

Years ago Mimi Sheraton wrote a cookbook entitled "The Seducers Cookbook". This is a real gem, and I was fortunate to have it given to me as a present very early on in life.

It contains a series of menus for different situations - and these are all delightful and reliable.

It's well worth searching your local used bookshops for one of these

My current relationship has been monté aux beurre for the last three years. I doubt we'd be so happy together if we weren't both lovers of food. Some Random and entirely lewd thoughts:

1. Getting first-degree burns while puréeing squash soup in the buff

2. Trying to prepare a multi-course South Indian feast after returning home from three months in Kerala, and in the rush and excitement of seeing my woman after the long hiatus subsequently ruining everything

3. Spending a fabulous weekend in Montreal and unanimously deciding that the baguette, cheese and olive assortment eaten in our hotel room was our favorite meal.

Food is comfort, food is romance, food is sex, it's whatever you want it to be. It hasn't failed me in any of these regards except too much raw garlic the odd time.

Years ago Mimi Sheraton wrote a cookbook entitled "The Seducers Cookbook". This is a real gem, and I was fortunate to have it given to me as a present very early on in life.

It contains a series of menus for different situations - and these are all delightful and reliable.

It's well worth searching your local used bookshops for one of these

I got a little book Called La Cuisine et L'Amour written in 1929, it a little battered(Like my heart) It got thrown in when I bought The Great Chefs of France

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!

Last night dinner:

She started with a Cuba Libre and I enjoyed some Caipirinha followed with Champagne accompanied with Nirvana blasting on the boxes.

The menue hand written on the inside of the silkish napkin with her name on the outside was:

- Asperges et Fraises sauce Balsamique.

- Pate de Foie Gras au poivre du Szechuan.

- Beef Carpacio et Champignon nature.

- Fajitas Spring Rolls with Guacamole Medley.

- Potatoe skins with sour cream and spicy tomato jam.

- Rondelles d'Ananas poivree au chocolat fondant.

Followed with a duo shower and wrapping in fluffy bathrobes.

And the rest was history...

Hmm. When I was younger and even stupider, I attempted a seduction meal. I made my unlikely "carbonara" with egg noodles, sauteed ground beef, chopped black olives, lots of black pepper, and the requisite raw eggs tossed in with and cooked onto the hot pasta/sauce. You can stop laughing now. The real story is when I went to set her plate down on her living room coffee table from which she had removed the glass. Carbonara on the carpet, yes ma'am. What did I get for my troubles? One very reluctant kiss. Never saw her again.

Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

I remember reading (and have subsequently found it to be nearly 100% true) that men are unstoppable when accosted by the scent of cinnamon. Might just be American men. No, I'll have to add British men too! :wink:

Anyone care to comment?

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

I remember reading (and have subsequently found it to be nearly 100% true) that men are unstoppable when accosted by the scent of cinnamon.  Might just be American men.  No, I'll have to add British men too!  :wink:

Anyone care to comment?

Women cook with cinnamon when they're trying to seduce?

Crap. I've been getting cooked for by the wrong women.

As for when I'm cooking and trying to seduce? I really like to use food that stimulates more than just the eyes, nose, and tongue. Drippy foods that are unctuously juicy like muskmelons or brie. Hot chocolate mounded with liquor-laced whipped cream.

Foods that need to be eaten using the digits primarily and then cleaned off carefully are always good. Halved large peaches are spectacular.

Unfortunately, the only things that work consistently seem to be hot chocolate and champagne. Everything else is nearly always a bust. :huh:

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

phhfft it was gone

Six months, huh? Not bad but for that carpacchio and rare lamb loin plus the Veuve, it really should have lasted a bit longer ... :hmmm:

Forgive me if I am incorrect, but was that a Hee Haw reference?

If so, I may be able to pinpoint your problem...

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

"Cooking and seduction are delicious arts that involve head, hand and heart. Great lovers are inspired by passion, as are great chefs." ~Diane Brown

No matter which sex you may be, at one time or another, have you ever cooked a meal with the inner sense that it would be one of your arsenal of seduction techniques for a possible lover? :rolleyes:

What did you prepare?

How was it received by the intended individual?

Did it go off smoothly or were there problems which arose? (this can be read on all possible levels! :laugh: )

Do you believe that this meal and the intent which it carried brought the intended even closer to you?

Confessions or even personal anecdotes gratefully accepted!

Years ago, I had been stood up, in the rain by a rotten boyfriend. I went to see a male friend of mine for comfort. He, being no culinary genius, prepared powdered hot cocoa with water to warm me. I was touched. Enough so, that he and I began a two year romance, which has turned into a ten year friendship. I guess the lesson is that any food or drink prepared in love will surely seduce.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."- Virginia Woolfe

I remember reading (and have subsequently found it to be nearly 100% true) that men are unstoppable when accosted by the scent of cinnamon.  Might just be American men.  No, I'll have to add British men too!  :wink:

Anyone care to comment?

Women cook with cinnamon when they're trying to seduce?

Crap. I've been getting cooked for by the wrong women.

Not cook. Bake. I should have made that distinction. Big difference.

Hasn't someone ever invited you over for Sunday breakfast? Makes for a wonderful Sunday afternoon!!!!! :wink:

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Forgive me if I am incorrect, but was that a Hee Haw reference?

Took me a few minutes to remember this but didn't it go something like this: (hillbilly twang helps here)

Where oh where are yew tonight?

Why did you leave me all alone?

I searched the world over

and thought I'd found true love

Yew found anuther and phfft yew were gone! :rolleyes:

I guess the lesson is that any food or drink prepared in love will surely seduce.

Well said. I agree.

In theory I'd agree, but there are all sorts of unloving men for whom I have prepared all sorts of loving foods (the roast chicken and potatoes aren't entirely foolproof, and the seared pork tenderloin with sour cherry-Nebbiolo reduction was a complete waste of time, aside from my enjoyment of it).

So you need to consider upon whose table you are setting your foods of love.

Didn't my mother tell me something like that once upon a time?

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

• 3 months later...

I dunno, whaddaya say we go somewhere and talk about it over a plate of oysters? :hmmm:

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

I made a Duke of Bragança cake from Jean Anderson's Food of Portugal (I think). Flourless; it was ground almonds, about a dozen eggs, and a ton of sugar.

It breathed steamy life into a flailing relationship at least for one night.

Then his roommate ate the leftovers (we'd each had a sliver and that was all) in one day, and got violently ill. Sigh.