• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seduction cuisine for both sexes

I dunno, whaddaya say we go somewhere and talk about it over a plate of oysters?  :hmmm:

Why merely limit oneself to oysters when there are apparently so many options for making l'amour flourish? :rolleyes:

Chocolate or figs or pine nuts, rosemary, and, of course, honey ..

From the Kama Sutra to the Perfumed Garden to the Bible, honey has been connected with love, sex and sensuality since the beginning of time. Hippocrates prescribed honey for sexual vigor. In India, tradition states that an offering of honey be presented to the bridegroom and hide out in seclusion drinking the honey potion until the first new moon of their marriage. Attila the Hun drank himself to death with honey on his honeymoon. The very word conjures up images of the dripping, sticky substance, of honeybees, and all things sweet.
source

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

My go to meal depended on who I was cooking for. Usually I tried to find out what their favourite foods were and would cook that for them. When I first started dating my hubby (who doesn't cook at all), I couldn't go wrong.

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

Heh. Like some others here, I've found that if I cook any kind of a meal at all for the object of my affections, it usually works.

Okay, there was the one time I tried fondue--it was an excellent fondue, but it just took too damned long to eat! By the time we finished chasing all that cheese around the li'l fondue pot, we kinda realized we were a little bored with each other ... though in hindsight, finding that out early rather than the morning after might have been a good thing after all.

Meanwhile, if anyone wants to seduce me with food, they should think raw. Like sushi or oysters. Or almost raw, like prime rib. Or flammable, like bourbon--that'll get the fires burning, alright. And a little dark chocolate never hurts.

The very first seduction dinner I ever made was for my then-boyfriend-now-husband. College, my parents were out of town, nice wine cellar... I made lemon chicken, asparagus, rice pilaf, and strawberries with whipped cream for dessert. I think we ate a two in the morning...

I still make that periodically, although it has improved. Still makes him smile nineteen years later. Never underestimate the power of a food memory. :wub:

I'm also in the 'What? You can cook?" dating pool, so anything I put on the table usually elicits appreciation. One of these days, I need to find a man that can cook.

But, I've also found that letting the object of my affection witness (or help) with the cooking process can be quite affective. Think about it... close quarters... all that heat... availability of interesting impliments (I kid!)... Just make sure you've got something that can live in the oven for awhile. Otherwise, hockey pucks for dinner. :unsure:

Anna

------

"I brought you a tuna sandwich. They say it's brain food. I guess because there's so much dolphin in it, and you know how smart they are." -- Marge Simpson

I don't know how I missed this thread when it started, but I just turn my back for one second and you kids start up the naughty talk again. My My.

A few weeks after Chris and I first met, he called and said he'd be in the area one night that week, and why didn't we drive into Memphis and have dinner. It was REALLY cold, and mid-afternoon of our date day, it started to snow---not just little old pee-diddly snow like we were accustomed to every couple of years, but a real live snowstorm, with flakes flying sideways and covering the cars in the parking lot at my office.

This was a couple of years before cell phones, and knowing that he'd be on the road, I called his answering service and left the message that it was too snowy to drive all that way, and would he just settle for fried chicken by the fire. The perky little voice on the phone said, "Where ARE you??? I WILL!!!!"

He came to visit, and we had the delicious chicken and mashed potatoes, then slices of lemon icebox pie. So, quite a few years later, he finally learned that I'd gotten one of those fancy double-wide electric skillets for Christmas, had never used it yet, and my daughter had fried the chicken whilst I had a bubble bath and got all primped up for the evening.

So would this be considered fraudulent enticement? We were married five months later, and he still LOVES fried chicken. :rolleyes:

In addition to the smoked pork butt (and I do bring with bed to me that slightly smoky porky/bacony smell; yes toss that Shalimar), there is a plate of food, on the dock, enjoyed by my honey and me, while skinny dipping underneat the northern lights while we are at The Cabin.

And, then there was that plate of smoked butt on the dock. Oh, wait. Let's call that one Heidi!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Meanwhile, if anyone wants to seduce me with food, they should think raw. Like sushi or oysters. Or almost raw, like prime rib.

Fleshy, it sounds like. Yes? Makes sense to me......

"Fleshy" ... that's definitely one way of putting it. Yep.

There are more explicit ways of putting it, to be sure, but I suspect they probably don't belong on this forum ... :wink:

• 2 months later...

Re: Cinnamon

Don't know how many of you have watched the fillm "A Touch of Spice," but it has wonderful references to the use of cinnamon...:) :)

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Veal vermouth over angel hair pasta was the first meal I ever prepared for my wife. Seven years later, she still claims it is her all-time favorite. Some hours after the meal I remember a carton of Ben & Jerry's "Chunky Monkey" coming into play. :raz:

"Be a simple kind of man. - ronnie vanzant

I've cooked for the purposes of seduction about a dozen times or so. Well, I didn't necessary consciously think, "I'm cooking so this guy will hop in the sack with me." But I did go a little overboard to prepare an elaborate meal because I was "enthusiastic" about the invitee.

They all had a similar set of courses:

Snacky treat hors d'oeuvres w/cocktails

Soup

Nice Champagne

Salad

Some sort roasted meat w/ appropriate starch and veggies and wine

A custardy dessert

Cognac or Port

To date, it's never failed. I ended up dating each one... one for close to three years.

• 2 weeks later...

Not me but......

I once had a welsh flatmate who lusted desperately after a welsh rugbyman, schoolfriend of her brothers. He (finally) invited her out - and asked her if she would like to come to dinner at his mum's house. His parents were away for the weekend and when she rang him mid afternoon he said he was just back from shopping for their meal.

Scene set for romantic dinner. She arrives at his house at eight. TV on, rugby replay blasting, boyfriend busy in kitchen.

Flatmate sits on sofa, legs arranged just so, sipping a beer from a can that he had cracked open as she crossed the threshold......

Boyfriend (from kitchen) "D'ya like ham?"

Flatmate "Yes"

Boyfriend (from kitchen) "D'ya like tomatoes?"

Flatmate "Yes"

Boyfriend "Bread?"

Flatmate "Yes"

Result - two plates - half a spam on his, half on hers, swimming in neatly halved tin of tomatoes, ditto five slices white bread.

She started dating a med student shortly afterwards.

Personally, I am now married to a Frenchman who knows how to woo a girl with a dozen shucked oysters and a bottle of cold Graves.

She started dating a med student shortly afterwards.

Personally, I am now married to a Frenchman who knows how to woo a girl with a dozen shucked oysters and a bottle of cold Graves.

Sounds like a classic win-win situation for both of you women! And the ham and tomato dude? comment triste!... :sad:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"