• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Houseware Stores in Montreal

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get the following items:

1. One of those diamond studded knife sharpners. They have long prong-like appendages that are studded with diamonds. You swipe you knife through them and it sharpens AND hones at the right angles automatically.

2. Hand-beaten (or simulated) copper serving pans similar to what you find in an Indian or Turkish restaurant. Ideally with contrasting tin/copper tones. These would be fairly small, suitable for a single-person serving for a main course. They are shallow pans traditionally used to cook AND serve but I only want it for serving.

3. Staub mini-cocottes, preferably round and in black

Is there a good houseware store I can get this stuff downtown?

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get the following items:

1. One of those diamond studded knife sharpners. They have long prong-like appendages that are studded with diamonds. You swipe you knife through them and it sharpens AND hones at the right angles automatically.

2. Hand-beaten (or simulated) copper serving pans similar to what you find in an Indian or Turkish restaurant. Ideally with contrasting tin/copper tones. These would be fairly small, suitable for a single-person serving for a main course. They are shallow pans traditionally used to cook AND serve but I only want it for serving.

3. Staub mini-cocottes, preferably round and in black

Is there a good houseware store I can get this stuff downtown?

Try the following-Les Touilleurs on Laurier, La Soupiere on Ste Catherine, Quincallerie Danté on Danté street in Little Italy, Ares kitchen supplies(unfortunately in West Island) and Monas on Park Avenue(for item number one) Good luck

Alida

Ares also has a second location in St. Hubert, but that's about equidistant from downtown as the one on Sources.

Trésors de ma cuisine is another interesting place, especially for the number of peppermills and mandolins they had on display earlier. It's small, but they sure know their stock. 3301 Fleury est, T: 514-321-4373, website here.

• 2 weeks later...
Caplan Duval will be carrying Staub if they don't already...Côte des Neiges, I think, www.caplanduval.com

The Plaza Côte-des-Neiges store closed years ago. Only the store in the Cavendish Mall in Côte-Saint-Luc remains, and it's a shade of its former self. Which doesn't mean that they don't carry Staub, I hasten to add.