• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sourtoe Cocktail's Failure To Catch On

Holly Moore

From today's New York Times Dawson Journal there is mention of the Sourtoe Cocktail whose popularity, surprisingly, has yet to have spread from a lone hotel in Dawson, Yukon Territory, Canada.

One hotel in town is rumored to be haunted and another follows an old tradition by serving drinks mixed with pickled human toes (the establishment says they are dehydrated and preserved in salt) donated by people in their wills or by the unfortunate who suffer frostbite in the winter. (Those who imbibe are installed in the "Sourtoe Cocktail Club.")

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

From todays New York Times Dawson Journal there is mention of the Sourtoe Cocktail whose popularity, surprisingly, has yet to have spread from a lone hotel in Dawson, Yukon Territory, Canada. 
One hotel in town is rumored to be haunted and another follows an old tradition by serving drinks mixed with pickled human toes (the establishment says they are dehydrated and preserved in salt) donated by people in their wills or by the unfortunate who suffer frostbite in the winter. (Those who imbibe are installed in the "Sourtoe Cocktail Club.")

Didn't I read about that one in Dr. Cocktail's Vintage Cocktails and Forgotten Spirits? Ummm, on second thought, maybe not... :wink:

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake