• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Szechuan Tasty House

philadining

And in Portugal they don't let you out of the house unsupervised until you know how to fillet a fish. Not safe.

I suppose. But Chinese like to serve fish whole. More fish flavor.

Plus a lot of people, can de-bone it (assuming the only bones are the skeleton/spine bones and not little bones throughout) at tableside. It's not too hard.

You can do it with a spoon.

First separate the head and tail from the body of the fish.

Slice down the middle where the skeleton is.

Flip the two halves outward.

Lift the skeleton out of the fish.

Flip the two halves back on top.

Yeah, wise guy. Try that on a sardine!

Amateurs. Feh.

:wink:

Goddamn, that looks like a good dinner. Wow.

STH seems like a good test case for seeing how deep a menu can go; lots of dishes that, while they might not look so interesting on the page, turn out to be really good. Y'all should continue your research: arteries be damned!

One of the problems with the STH is that there's not THAT many full-on Szechuan dishes on their menu, so by the time you sidestep the more pedestrian offerings and pick out the ones that look or sound good, and ask advice from the server, it's probably not too hard to end up eating the same stuff as anybody else doing the same thing.

That being said, I am harboring some suspicions that Charlie might in fact BE Lauren McCutcheon. I mean, have you ever seen the two of them together? Can she play the accordion? Has she ever marched up Broad Street in feathers? Don't let that mustache fool you!

It would explain why so many of our dishes were in the review.... let's forget about copy deadlines for a minute, we've got a good conspiracy theory going here, we don't need facts cluttering up the place!!!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

That being said, I am harboring some suspicions that Charlie might in fact BE Lauren McCutcheon. I mean, have you ever seen the two of them together? Can she play the accordion? Has she ever marched up Broad Street in feathers? Don't let that mustache fool you!

Have you noticed that the anagram of "Lauren" without the u and n and adding c,h and i spells "Charlie"? :huh: Sneaky devil but I think you are onto something here PhilA......

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

I finally remembered to make it to the STH for one of my typical 4:30 lunches. Didn't remember the address though and was searching Race Street. No luck so I phoned eGullet PA Board Tech Support. Katie even knew the exact street number, which is good because it's not easy to find by name.

At Katie's insistance I started with the spicy dumplings. First dumpling and I knew these were the best dumplings I recall ever biting into. Probably more the sauce than the dumpling itself.

To etch the moment forever into my subconscious, I happened to look up and out the window after that first bite. What to my wonderous eyes should appear but one of those open air tourist trolley's arolling up Arch Street - its rear half jam packed with a bevy of nuns dressed in their traditional, pure-as-snow whites from ankle to top of head. A moment of splendor.

I had tried to order the dumplings and tell the waitress to come back in a few minutes for the rest of my order. She nodded and stood there waiting. I tried again. Another smiling nod, and she still stood over me, pen poised and pad ready. Unable to handle the pressure I ordered the first dish that struck my eye, shrimp with garlic sauce. Quite good, and plenty of perfectly cooked large shrimp. I'll be more adventurous next time.

Great place. I just need to make one thing perfectly clear. It was eGullet and not the Philly Weekly that got me there.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I finally remembered to make it to the STH for one of my typical 4:30 lunches.  Didn't remember the address though and was searching Race Street.  No luck so I phoned eGullet PA Board Tech Support.  Katie even knew the exact street number, which is good because it's not easy to find by name.

At Katie's insistance I started with the spicy dumplings.  First dumpling and I knew these were the best dumplings I recall ever biting into.  Probably more the sauce than the dumpling itself. 

To etch the moment forever into my subconscious, I happened to look up and out the window after that first bite.  What to my wonderous eyes should appear but one of those open air tourist trolley's arolling up Arch Street - its rear half jam packed with a bevy of nuns dressed in their traditional, pure-as-snow whites from ankle to top of head.  A moment of splendor.

I had tried to order the dumplings and tell the waitress to come back in a few minutes for the rest of my order.  She nodded and stood there waiting.  I tried again.  Another smiling nod, and she still stood over me, pen poised and pad ready.  Unable to handle the pressure I ordered the first dish that struck my eye, shrimp with garlic sauce.  Quite good, and plenty of perfectly cooked large shrimp. I'll be more adventurous next time.

Great place.  I just need to make one thing perfectly clear.  It was eGullet and not the Philly Weekly that got me there.

Hmmmm....

Nuns and spicy food. Not necessarily an association I would have made.

But whatever works for you... :biggrin:

Glad I could help.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I finally remembered to make it to the STH for one of my typical 4:30 lunches.  Didn't remember the address though and was searching Race Street.  No luck so I phoned eGullet PA Board Tech Support.  Katie even knew the exact street number, which is good because it's not easy to find by name.

At Katie's insistance I started with the spicy dumplings.  First dumpling and I knew these were the best dumplings I recall ever biting into.  Probably more the sauce than the dumpling itself. 

Katie, to her credit, is not *exactly* wrong.

:raz:

But I will go to my grave maintaining that Yue Kee's version of the same dish is vastly superior.

She nodded and stood there waiting. 

Yeah, the younger waitress there has pretty spotty English, but I've found everyone to be very friendly and accommodating. The other one, who seems to act more like a manager, speaks very well and has come to the rescue a few times. Even if not, with a little flailing and pointing I've usually been able to get what I wanted!

Glad you liked it Holly, and I agree, those dumplings are terrific. One of these days I'll get to the Yue Kee truck to try their version, as Capaneus recommends.

Percyn knows a place in Princeton that makes what he considers the ultimate version, and I still haven't had any that compare to the rendition at Grand Sichuan Int'l in NY, but the ones at Szechuan Tasty House are still fine by me!

Edited by philadining (log)

philadining.com

• 2 months later...

The STH dumpling are growing on me. I like the hint of sweetness in the spicy sauce, along with sesame oil.

This is their version

gallery_21049_162_72378.jpg

and this is the version I am used to

gallery_21049_162_408338.jpg

I also tried their Dan Dan noodles, which were good, but it got a LOT better when I mixed in the left over sauce from the dumplings

gallery_21049_162_71615.jpg

To etch the moment forever into my subconscious, I happened to look up and out the window after that first bite.  What to my wonderous eyes should appear but one of those open air tourist trolley's arolling up Arch Street - its rear half jam packed with a bevy of nuns dressed in their traditional, pure-as-snow whites from ankle to top of head.  A moment of splendor.

I had tried to order the dumplings and tell the waitress to come back in a few minutes for the rest of my order.  She nodded and stood there waiting.  I tried again.  Another smiling nod, and she still stood over me, pen poised and pad ready.  Unable to handle the pressure I ordered the first dish that struck my eye, shrimp with garlic sauce.  Quite good, and plenty of perfectly cooked large shrimp. I'll be more adventurous next time.

Great place.  I just need to make one thing perfectly clear.  It was eGullet and not the Philly Weekly that got me there.

Hmmmm....

Nuns and spicy food. Not necessarily an association I would have made.

But whatever works for you... :biggrin:

Glad I could help.

Holly, with such a penance, I'm not even gonna ask.

nuns.jpg

DUCK!

• 1 month later...

We had lunch yesterday at STH and found it be quite a nice departure from most chinese food out here in the burbs and even those found in most places in Philly.

There were three of us and we shared an order of the wonderful dumplings in spicy sauce. I agree with some comments here that while they were quite tasty, they were difficult to eat.

We then ordered the following entrees:

Braised beef szechuan style- This was one of the tastiest chinese dishes I have had anywhere. It also came with a good 1/4 cup of red pepper flakes on top. It was a hot dish to say the least.

Three pepper chicken- very well prepared but unremarkable dish. Peppers had a delayed fire to them, kind of snuck up on you.

Golden Coins- Highlight of the entire meal. These perfectly made, lightly battered eggplant discs were so amazing, I'm still craving them. They were made even tastier with the accompanying sauce that was served with them.

I was surprised by how nice and clean the place was. I was even more surprised that it was almost as cold inside as it was outside. They have 2 portable space heaters and no other apparent heat going on. I guess they feel that after all that hot food, most people are warmed up pretty good by meals end!

Thanks to all posting here so I knew what to order and what to stay away from.

We skipped desserrt and opted instead to head over to Copigiro. My sister and her friend thought it was too cold for gelato until they started indulging in one. It is nice turning people on to that place!

• 2 months later...

LaBan has very nice things to say about my new favorite Chinese in tomorrow's Inky. Really nice review of what I think is a stand out in an already great Chinatown.

He gives high praise to a lot of dishes such as three pepper chicken and pork in garlic sauce and gives a thumbs up to the "golden coins" that are so wonderful there. I must go back and try the fried banana based on his comment that "at last the burn has subsided"

It is true that the food is quite fiery ( I mean this in the most positive way possible!) and I wish I'd seen the fried banana on the menu cause I left with my mouth on fire.

Congrats to the chefs

Edited by Jeff L (log)

LaBan has very nice things to say about my new favorite Chinese in tomorrow's Inky. Really nice review of what I think is a stand out in an already great Chinatown.

He gives high praise to a lot of dishes such as three pepper chicken and pork in garlic sauce and gives a thumbs up to the "golden coins" that are so wonderful there. I must go back and try the fried banana based on his comment that "at last the burn has subsided"

It is true that the food is quite fiery ( I mean this in the most positive way possible!) and I wish I'd seen the fried banana on the menu cause I left with my mouth on fire.

Congrats to the chefs

I don't know man, I think I'd give them 4 Bells just for the Golden Coins!

But seriously, glad to see them more recognition. Every time I walk by, the place still usually looks empty! Hope this helps change that for them.

Edited by philadining (log)

philadining.com

Here's a link to the review (may require registration.)

It's a good review, but it's kind of surprising that he doesn't mention the spicy dumplings, one of the faves with everyone I've gone with. His description of the spicy wontons makes them sound good too, but I think the dumplings seem more interesting... And the cold chicken in spicy sauce is pretty remarkable too, and different enough that I'm surprised he wouldn't have tried it.

But then, there's only a finite amount of room in one's stomach, or one's review, so I can see it...

philadining.com

One wonders if Laban submitted to the fiery inferno of the Tasty House's kitchen as penitence for Django's double debelling. That might also explain his abstaining from their incredible spicy dumplings

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

One wonders if Laban submitted to the fiery inferno of the Tasty House's kitchen as penitence for Django's double debelling. That might also explain his abstaining from their incredible spicy dumplings

Actually, I thought the dish he described as "Szechuan wontons" were the fiery dumplings we all love so much.

I could be wrong...maybe.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Went with a friend last night and it was packed. With the news out, I won't be getting a good seat anymore. The menu is great, but it's tough for me to order anything besides the Twice Cooked Pork. And while the fried bananas sound great, Capogiro is a natural for dessert!

• 2 months later...

After all the incredible reviews of STH, I HAD to give it the ol' college try. Without this board, and without an address, I never would have found the joint. Moreover, if on the off chance the bland store front happened to catch my eye, the fact that there were a grand total of four patrons in the restaurant at 8:30 on a Saturday evening would have been quite the deterrent (granted, it was a rainy night).

We were nevertheless filled with anticipation and overjoyed when upon seating a pot of hot tea was immediately served. Great way to escape from the rain, and a great start to a meal! Because I had piled through this thread previously, my party of four "forced" me to order for the table.

No surprise then that the spicy dumplings and golden coins came out as apps, with a bowl of egg drop soup for my wife who was feeling a little under the weather. I did not partake in the soup, but the phrase really good was used quite a few times to describe it. I was not able to say much myself from the fact that I could not stop stuffing my mouth with either the dumplings or the golden coins. The above descriptions for both are spot on. Personally, I can't imagine a much better dumpling/sauce combo than these, but am ready to take the Yuu Kee challenge.

Our next plate was the crispy salt and pepper shrimp. "Fry master" expertly describes the skill of the chef: both the golden coins and the shrimp were perfectly cooked and extremely pleasurable to eat from a taste/texture standpoint. Although I often find battered sea creatures to be quite bland primarily due to battering, I enjoyed the shrimp which has a nice salt and pepper balance.

So the table was on a roll: three hit plates (and a soup) with the star braised beef and a Kung Pao dish yet to come. When the beef arrived, I paid no attention to the half inch five pepper dry flake coating on top (okay, maybe it was more like 1/8th of an inch) and dug right in. In retrospect, I wish I had paid more attention to the words fiery, inferno, burn, grenade, etc repeated throughout this thread. We didn't go in naive about Szechwan cooking, but the five pepper coating was really much more potent than imagined. So much so that the two ladies of our venture were unable to eat more than one mouthful of the beef, and that singular bite ended any hope they had of eating the Kung Pao dish that followed. As for the gents in the group, we did our best to finish both dishes but the damage was done: whether the braised beef was also salty, tangy, sweet and bitter was beyond the reach of my dulled taste buds. As were the flavors of the Kung Pao, which I suspect would have been enjoyable to experience.

I’m not by any means knocking the use of heat, or even STH. Although I’m not a chili head, I really do love hot food and consider myself as having a high tolerance for capsaicin. But damn if the five pepper blend didn’t steal the thunder from the other dishes! Either the majority of you have an extraordinary tolerance for pain, or our table just happened to draw the pepper placenta/seed lottery. I’m looking forward to a return visit to sample something other than a five pepper dish… but I fear I may be returning alone! Of course, the golden coins and dumplings were huge crowd favorites, so maybe I won’t have as tough a time as I think getting my wife back in the STH saddle. Besides, our total bill came to $45ish before tip and she certainly appreciates a great deal. But with so few people in the restaurant on a Sat. night, I wonder if this deal will last?

As a side, we brought the obligatory Riesling to pair with the food, but I also threw caution to the wind and brought a nice medium bodied pinot noir to celebrate an evening out with visiting friends. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the pinot worked to quell the fire, and although our taste buds were dulled, we even found the pairing to work quite well. Next time we joked that we would bring our own stems, however, as it was challenging aerating the pinot in a wide water glass. I have a feeling STH would be game with just about anything we wanted to bring. :biggrin:

[edited for spelling]

Edited by jwjon1 (log)

• 1 month later...

A little while ago on the Chung King thread I mentioned that Szechuan Tasty House delivers, I ordered, and the food was terrible.

Well, my wife and I ordered again and when I gave my order I severely admonished the poor woman on the phone that this was their last chance.

The food was MUCH much better. I very carefully selected dishes that had been recommended before and everything was very good to superb. Spicy dumplings, dang dang noodles, braised beef, three pepper chicken, and pork with garlic sauce (the last I liked the least and it was still very good) made for an authentic and fabulous meal.