• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A little assistance please

Lan4Dawg

I am planning a display at the liquor store for next week in preparation of July 4th/Independence Day and need some ideas/receipts for cocktails that have some thing to do w/ that subject. I pored through a few books and have so far found:

American Rose

American Beauty

American Flyer

American Fizz

Americano

Continental Cocktail

Stars & Stripes

but know there must be some thing else out there. A "rocket's red glare", "George Washington", "Founding Fathers", or "Independence" cocktail or similar. Any help is, naturally, appreciated.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

a bit of Americana: cocktails appropriate to the day:

Blue Sky

Day in the Shade

Firecracker

Dale DeGroff's Betsy Ross Cocktail

Georgia Peach

Hawaiian Cocktail

Hurricane

Liberty Cocktail

Mint Julep

Raspberry Zinger

Sex on the Beach (Pitcher)

Simply Refreshing

Southern Sparkler

Washington Cocktail

cocktails for the day :wink:

from Bartender.com

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I am planning a display at the liquor store for next week in preparation of July 4th/Independence Day and need some ideas/receipts for cocktails that have some thing to do w/ that subject.  I pored through a few books and have so far found:

American Rose

American Beauty

American Flyer

American Fizz

Americano

Continental Cocktail

Stars & Stripes

but know there must be some thing else out there.  A "rocket's red glare", "George Washington", "Founding Fathers", or "Independence" cocktail or similar.  Any help is, naturally, appreciated.

Okay Lan4Dawg how about this one?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cooking/re...6_20327,00.html

The title's a bit of a stretch for what you're looking for. It's an Emeril Lagasse drink recipe. I know he's much maligned on eGullet, but I think this one's pretty tasty and uses three different types of liquor! :rolleyes:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I'd say don't worry about the name and go for straight (or, in this case, mixed) history instead, with Fish House Punch--the house drink of a Philadelphia social club founded in, IIRC, 1732. This, or something very much like it, is what they would've been drinking that sweltering day in 1776. Plus, it's potent and very, very tasty:

Fish House Punch

2 quarts dark, full-bodied rum (I generally use Gosling's)

1 quart VS-grade cognac

4 oz peach brandy (Marie Brizard makes an acceptable brand, but whatever you use, use it sparingly--it really penetrates)

1 quart lemon juice

3/4 lb (1 1/2 cups) superfine sugar

2 quarts water

In a large bowl, first dissolve the sugar in enough of the water to do the trick, then incorporate the lemon juice. Next, add the spirits and the rest of the water—or as much of it as you wish to contribute (less in summer, to allow for meltage). Slip in as large a block of ice as you can procure (use your imagination—if worst comes to worst, a mixing bowl full of water and frozen overnight will do the trick; run a little hot water on the outside of the bowl to unmold). Let it stand in a cool place for an hour or so before serving. Do not garnish with fruit, herb, vegetable or paper umbrella.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895