• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Latin American or Caribbean in Cleveland

torakris

Cory, Thanks! the menu looks great.

Momocho

We've been there once and the food was excellent. We had a three guac sampler - I think they literally smash those to order! They were so fresh and delicious, and each style was unique. We shared the tuna appetizer and the chile relleno, and they were very good - the chile relleno was truly outstanding. Bob had the chicken mole with corn fungus dumplings - while the latter weren't exactly my favorite flavor, it was the best, most complex mole I 've ever tasted. I had snapper, which was slightly underdone, but otherwise delicious, and our other companion had the tuna entree, which was also quite good.

PM or email if you want company when you check it out - we need to go again!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Momocho

We've been there once and the food was excellent. We had a three guac sampler - I think they literally smash those to order! They were so fresh and delicious, and each style was unique. We shared the tuna appetizer and the chile relleno, and they were very good - the chile relleno was truly outstanding. Bob had the chicken mole with corn fungus dumplings - while the latter weren't exactly my favorite flavor, it was the best, most complex mole I 've ever tasted. I had snapper, which was slightly underdone, but otherwise delicious, and our other companion had the tuna entree, which was also quite good.

That sounds great! Mexican is one of the foods I really miss living in Japan, it just isn't that popular over here.

We may be seeing a lot of each other on this trip. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 weeks later...

Momocho

We have a dinner at Momocho coming up, click here for details.

We have a dinner at Momocho coming up, click here for details.

Well, since my car wouldn't start, I missed out on Momocho/VTR. Did you guys have fun while I was fuming? :angry::sad::biggrin:

Edsel, we had the most wonderful time! Momocho was great and I highly recommend it. I will give more of a report later as I need to get over to Chuck E Cheese for dinner :hmmm: , but don't worry about missing VTR as we will be there again this Friday!

You were missed, sorry about the car trouble. DH and I had a very yummy chorizo app and the others all split a guac sampler which they said was awesome. Some had rellenos which also got a big thumbs up. DH had the pork chop entree and I had an enchilada which came with 3 different sauces on the 3 different "sides" of it, everything was v. tasty. I thought their margaritas were too heavy on the sweet & sour mix but hubby liked them, I stuck with mexican beer which went down very well.

Edsel - we missed you! We started with a 3 Guacamole Sampler: jicama, pineapple, habanero & mint (my favorite!), roasted garlic, bleu cheese & green chiles, and smoked trout, bacon & chile poblano - served with freshly fried chips.

Bob had the adobo lamb chops with jalapeno mustard crema, goat cheese mashed avocado and spinach, which was delicious. I sampled the trout pepita, with sofrito green beans and the jalapeno mustard crema. The trout was a perfect piece of fish, crusted with nuts - it took me back to New Orleans's Mandina's for a few moments! Two others sampled the Tilapia Taquitos and pronounced them delicious.

We finished our evening with cocktails at the Velvet Tango Room. We sampled a variety of fine cocktails while enjoying first the piano standards, then the jazzy piano and bass duo, while lounging on a comfy couch. Old Cuban, Apple Brandy Sour, Amaretto Sour for me, Ramos Gin Fizz for Shannon and Kris (yes, you read that correctly), Rob Roy and Manhattan for Bob. As always, Paulius made us feel spoiled and special - he had us sample a new drink concoction that was wonderful:

THE PISCO SOUR: “Pisco” is a clear grape brandy that is Peru’s national drink, and the Pisco Sour is the traditional method of consumption. The complexity of the fresh lemon with our boutique bitters made this cocktail a hit with all of us.

Paulius also let us sample a bunch of their house-made marshiano cherries, which are good enough to eat on their own (no red dye or soupy corn syrup here). And the chocolate truffles were heavenly!

Edited by NancyH (log)

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food