• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Latin American or Caribbean in Cleveland

torakris

On trips back to Cleveland I have often focused on Asian cuisines, this year I am hoping to branch out. :biggrin:

Any really good latin American/Caribbean places?

east side preferably but I will travel for good foo!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Unfortunately, the two best Central/South American restaurants are on the west side.

La Tortilla Feliz is near the Tremont neighborhood on the near west side of Cleveland. a really good and diverse menu. I've never had a bad meal there. Also, they have a good selection of Central/South American beers and wines.

While El Tango Taqueria sounds like a Mexican restaurant, it really features a broad range of Central/South American fare. Nothing fancy, but a good meal.

As for Caribbean, I'll admit that I haven't tried any of them. A new one, 83 Degrees, opened up about 6 months ago. Although, it's literally 1 minute from my house, I haven't popped in there yet. It got a decent review in the Palin Dealer, and its menu seems to focus on Puerto Rican cuisine. Which makes sense since Puerto Ricans make up a big chunk of the local neighborhoods.

In the Cleveland Ethnic Eats book (my new bible :biggrin: )

I notice quite a few shops that offer take out, I don't remember seeing these in the older edition I was using last summer.

I spent a week in Boston last summer and my sister's house was practically across the street from this great Cuban place, we would often stop in for a late snack of Cuban sandwiches and fried plantains.

Any chance of finding these in Cleveland?

Edit:

anyone ever been to any of the Dave's supermarkets?

Edited by torakris (log)

There's a Dave's Supermarket pretty close to where I live and one near where I work. I've been into both, but I try to stay clear of them. Although they do carry some ethnic groceries, the stores are a little seedy.

There's a Cuban Deli on Detroit Ave. in Cleveland. I've never been, but I hear the sandwiches are good. I believe they are take-out only.

Lelolai Bakery is near the West Side Market and is probably your best bet for a Cuban Sandwich. Although it's primarily a Puerto Rican take out restaurant, they do make a great Cubano. The sandwiches are huge and reasonably priced. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it :)

There's a Dave's Supermarket pretty close to where I live and one near where I work.  I've been into both, but I try to stay clear of them.  Although they do carry some ethnic groceries, the stores are a little seedy. 

Thanks!

this is sort of the information I am looking for :hmmm:

I was looking at some of the addresses of some of these places and they aren't really areas I would feel comfortable in alone.....

• 8 months later...

Going back and re-reading my first post, I realize I was only talking about SouthAmerican/Central American cuisine and failed to address my favorite: Mexican.

In my opionion there are three must visit Mexican restaurants in Cleveland:

1. Nuevo Acapulco. Located out in the Western suburb of North Olmsted, Nuevo is a great Mexican restaurant and offers some respite from all the McChains that dot N. Olmsted. If you go on Sunday afternoons (after church) I've seen them offer a special menu that is even more traditional than their regular menu. Unfortunately, they usually don't offer it to non-hispanics, so ask them (the special menu is all en espanol, so brush up on your menu spanish).

2. Mi Pueblo. This seems to be the favorite of the real mexicans in Cleveland. It has almost a cafeteria vibe to it, but the food is authentic and very tasty.

3. Luchita's. IMHO, the best mexican restaurant in town. There are several Luchita's scattered about town now, but the W. 117th location is the original and the best. Great mole. Great tacos. Great margaritas. The only bad thing I can say about them is that they don't carry Pacifico Beer (My favorite mexican beer which would make Luchita's just about perfect).

wasn't there are a good caribbean restaurant in the strip mall at cedar and warrensville, across from the demolished part?

Are you thinking of Rachel's Caribbean? It is on Cedar but farther down closer to Green Rd.

My aunt really enjoyed it when it first opened but she had said it has gone down hill and almost all of the reviews I found of it last summer weren't very good.

At Cedar Center I can't think of a caribbean place but there is is ZaZa'a (creole-cajun) that I really enjoyed. It was a lot more upscale than it looks from the outside with entrees in the $20+ range and appetizers around $8 to $12 but I will probably go back this summer as I really enjoyed all of the food.

RagallachMC,

Thanks for the Mexican place info, I may be spending more time over on the west side this year.....

Kristin --

If you really feel you must spend time on the West Side, then I would feel duty-bound to join you for a Margarita at Luchita's.

:biggrin:

I will keep you posted on my travel plans this summer, but I must warn you that I can make it down to E 9th but after that I am hopelessly lost....

I've not yet eaten at Sergio Abramof's new place, Sarava, but have heard only good things. Plus, he is going to be a guest chef on the PBS program I produce, WVIZ Cooks!, which is airing this Saturday, 11 March.

My "East Side Passport" is fully up-to-date -- just say the word. :wink::laugh:

Laurie

I've not yet eaten at Sergio Abramof's new place, Sarava, but have heard only good things.  Plus, he is going to be a guest chef on the PBS program I produce, WVIZ Cooks!, which is airing  this Saturday, 11 March.

My "East Side Passport" is fully up-to-date -- just say the word.  :wink:  :laugh:

Laurie

Looking forward to it... WVIZ Cooks is my favorite way to spend a Sunday morning. That little round guy cracks me up. :raz:

I've been dropping hints to my husband about Sarava but you know how that goes. I'm just going to have to get him in the car and start driving.

I also wanted to suggest Johnny Mango to you if you haven't been there. They have a fried plantain appetizer with fresh salsa on top that is v. good (I think they call it "Caribbean french fries" but it's large slices of plantain). The rest of their small menu is sort of a diverse offering of "world" cuisine - from Pad Thai to the Bangkok BBQ Chicken (which I recommend, it does take additional time however and is only available during dinner hours) to a great Flank Steak dinner with portobello and a thimble-full of good hot sauce on the side.

• 3 months later...
Not my area of town but looks interesting.  Have you got your trip mapped out yet?

that is what I am working on now :biggrin:

yayz, let us know how else we can help and any of your plans that include an open invite to the eG folks to join, it would be good to have some get-togethers, small or large. What are the dates?

Not my area of town but looks interesting.  Have you got your trip mapped out yet?

that is what I am working on now :biggrin:

yayz, let us know how else we can help and any of your plans that include an open invite to the eG folks to join, it would be good to have some get-togethers, small or large. What are the dates?

I just posted everything here. :biggrin: