• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYT Articles on Food, Drink, Cooking, and Culinary Culture (2002–2005)

Just a quick clarification: the New York Times uses a four star system. The New York Times equivalent of three Michelin stars is four stars. You can search the database, but I'm pretty sure the current four star restaurants are Le Bernardin, Daniel, Jean Georges, Masa and Per Se.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Jay, you mean of course the EQUIVALENT of the Michelin 3 stars? Because the NYT "3 star" is more like a Michelin 1 or 2 star. A New York Times 4 star is probably more what you are looking for, and there are only 4.

Per Se, Le Bernardin, Daniel, Jean Georges, and Masa. ADNY used to have 4 but it was docked by Frank Bruni this year. Bouley was also previously a 4.

Crossposted with Fat Guy. Bastard.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jay, you mean of course the EQUIVALENT of the Michelin 3 stars? Because the NYT "3 star" is more like a Michelin 1 or 2 star. A New York Times 4 star is probably more what you are looking for, and there are only 4.

Per Se, Le Bernardin, Daniel, Jean Georges, and Masa. ADNY used to have 4 but it was docked by Frank Bruni this year. Bouley was also previously a 4.

Crossposted with Fat Guy. Bastard.

Thank you chaps. As my first post says, I already knew it was a four star system and which those four stars are but was having problems making the system work to show me which the three stars are (until mr Lynes took me by the hand). Just want to have them to hand to compare and contrast further down the Michelin rankings.

And I think that list of yours makes five four stars. Look at me show off: can't make the NYT site work but I can count up to five.

Jay

Right, five. My subconscious mind keeps telling me that Bruni was on drugs when he awarded four to Masa.

I think having only five NYT four stars is like some sort of cosmic constant, sort of like trying to go faster the speed of light. If you attempt to add a new four star, one must be docked -- ergo Per Se and Masa where Bouley and ADNY used to be (or if a four star closes, such as Lespinasse, you have to put one in its place)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t know how much sway the editors of the section and other higher-ups have over which restaurants the critic chooses to review. Can we assume that Mr. Bruni goes to the boroughs because he feels it is his mission to highlight them (well, Brooklyn, at least) as a destination for higher-end dining?

Ruth Reichl was forthcoming about her time at the Times in her recent memoir, Garlic and Sapphires, and she seems to have selected her diverse pool of restaurants without theese editors' input, to their chagrin, in some cases. It would be interesting to ask her about this when she joins us in late November for an eG Spotlight Discussion.

This topic continues with NYT Articles on Food, Drink, Cooking, and Culinary Culture (2005– )

Edited by Mjx
Note added. (log)