• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Conde Nast Traveler's 2005 Hot Lists

Mooshmouse

Judith Lane reports in The Georgia Straight (Hip, hip, we're hip) that:

Four Canadian restos—three from B.C.—are among the world’s 80 hot tables: Arbutus Grille and Wine Bar (Brentwood Bay), Fifty Two 80 Bistro (Whistler), and hometown honey Vintropolis Wine Bar & Bistro.

Over all the other restaurants that we have in this province? I reiterate: you have got to be kidding me. :hmmm:

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Ergo the list is total shit and should only be relied upon by flat footed nylon windbreaker wearing sloth like yokels from Iowa. Conde Naste is for a demographic that while moronic, can almost read.

Everytime I read ANY travel magazine regarding ANY destination I've ever been to, they miss almost everything good about a place, and manage to dig up a few obvious suggestions. Call it the Capilano Suspension Bridge effect.

Judith Lane reports in The Georgia Straight (Hip, hip, we're hip)  that:
Four Canadian restos—three from B.C.—are among the world’s 80 hot tables: Arbutus Grille and Wine Bar (Brentwood Bay), Fifty Two 80 Bistro (Whistler), and hometown honey Vintropolis Wine Bar & Bistro.

Over all the other restaurants that we have in this province? I reiterate: you have got to be kidding me. :hmmm:

Didn't you notice that when we were there? Scrawled on a couple of sign boards in chalk they were announcing the they were on the Conde Nast list. Umm...I should mention that I thought it was a great thing BEFORE I started eating.

I'm hoping they have an absolutely knock-your-socks-off wine list, but since it was lunch, I didn't even think to look at it.

Not to dump on Vintropolis but what was the rational behind the choice? I would love to here Jamie's take on this kind of thing as it happens often enough.

Is it : a lazy writer who called a contact in Vancouver for a recommendation and got the

publicist for Vintropolis?

: the desperate need to have a never before mentioned food establishment so as to

look cutting edge?

Granted Vintropolis has a decent wine selection with a nice little wine store attached but

the food is certainly not at a level that would elevate them to world status by any stretch of the imagination.

Not to dump on Vintropolis but what was the rational behind the choice? I would love to here Jamie's take on this kind of thing as it happens often enough.

Is it : a lazy writer who called a contact in Vancouver for a recommendation and got the

publicist for Vintropolis?

: the desperate need to have a never before mentioned food establishment so as to 

look cutting edge?

Granted Vintropolis has a decent wine selection with a nice little wine store attached but

the food is certainly not at a level that would elevate them to world status by any stretch of the imagination.

Sometimes these polls are reader driven, sometimes they parachute forwign writers in. The best pan-Canadian survey is EnRoute magazine, which canvasses food writers across the country to seek some common opinion, and then deploys its own writer to test each restaurant--a daunting task.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"