• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vacation bar

Dave the Cook

Well, whatever it's called, the zester is the tool I've always used for it. Every zester I've had has had two things on it: a set of little holes at the end for finely shredded whatever (which I use when making mojitos, but that could just be me), and a larger channel on the side for the ones you use as garnishes (like what you're calling a twist). I guess I could be losing my mind, though.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

This may be similiar to what Steven is talking about. This is one of my zesters. The end does the fine zesting and the middle hole does the twists

gallery_6080_1355_6143.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Okay, I'm a rank amateur at this, but I can't figure out why you would use one of those. The holes aren't very good at zesting. (This is why Microplanes gained popularity so rapidly). The center hole is, I think, actually a channel cutter, and will take much more of the pith than I care to use. I'm sticking with my peeler.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Each to his own, but it works for me. :wink:

Edited to add, you aren't seeing the cutting side, because I took the picture the wrong way. The sharp edges are on the other side.

Marlene

Channel knives are useful for certain decorative garnishes, such as a horse's neck, but not very good for actual twists. One reason is that they generally take too much pith, but more importantly, they don't tend to carry much citrus oil, and even more importantly, they're almost impossible to actually twist over the cocktail. The twisting action is important to express the citrus oils. A twist of lemon or orange is more than just a visual adornment. The oils that are expressed onto the surface of the drink (and often also rubbed around the rim of the glass) can make a huge impact on the aroma and flavor of the drink.

I used to use the channel cutter part of my zester to make cocktail garnishes, but ended up switching to a peeler because it not only results in a better twist but also is easier to use.

--

This isn't much better, because what you can't see in a picture is that the edge above the holes is actually pretty sharp. As is the edge in the middle part.

gallery_6080_1355_2411.jpg

Having said that, I love the microplane a lot better for doing a lot of zesting, but if I only need a bit, plus a twist piece, this little thing works just fine.

Marlene

Well Dave the Cook, thanks for opening up such a lively discussion!

I'll throw in my blasphemous 2c in here: We grab a little of this and a little of that and mix it up. If it tastes good, we serve it. If it doesn't we doctor it or chuck it. :biggrin:

Actually, my suggestion would be a pitcher. Make a pitcher of whatever drink the crowd wants to have on hand. I'm in the Arizona heat and I have a couple preferences for drinks to beat the heat.

First: Vodka Tonic. Its a classic and super simple

Next: It may have another name but I just throw this one together. I call it the Arizona Sunset because it looks like that. It may have a "real" name in the bar though. 2 parts orange juice, 1 part vanilla rum (depending on your taste and how bent you are to get jazzed) and a dash of grenadine. Stir it all up & serve over ice.

Also, I don't know how it works on your family vacations, but when we all get together there is never a shortage of hands on deck to peel & squeeze limes or chip ice. I would definitely recommend you have a book on hand especially if someone else wants to pitch in or make their own.

Oh, have fun!!

Okay, I have to know what you guys think zest is useful for when it comes to cocktails, unless, as Sam says, it's for infusions. In the meantime, get one of these. Between it and your microplane, you'll forget that unnatural mutant zester-knife.

Genny: the Arizona Sunset sounds good. Do you think I could infuse my own rum with vanilla beans?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

In the meantime, get one of these.

YES! Anything with the word MEISTER in it must be owned!! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Genny: the Arizona Sunset sounds good. Do you think I could infuse my own rum with vanilla beans?

I'm no expert, I buy the Bacardi Vanilla but I don't see why not. It would probably be even better! I'd split the pod and toss it into a bottle of good quality white rum and then keep topping that bottle off with more rum as you go so the vanilla bean isn't wasted on only one bottle. The pod and caviar would surely last through a few gallons I would think.

And it is quite good and very pretty. The girls like it! Does anyone know, does this have a "proper" bar name or did I really invent something new here?