• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday Cake

I have had some decent cake but I want to get something that will WOW the wife for her 40th. Any suggestions? Her party is next Saturday.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I have had some decent cake but I want to get something that will WOW the wife for her 40th. Any suggestions? Her party is next Saturday.

Don't know if they could do it on such short notice, especially with this being June and prime wedding season and all, but Ann's Cake Pan does the best specialty cakes I've ever seen. And they taste good too. Not inexpensive, but the WOW factor is huge.

Classic Cake Company does a serviceable job, albeit more along the "ordinary" lines than Ann's. Their cakes are also very tasty.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I don't know if you need a large one for a party, or just a nice one for a smaller dinner, but if it's a smaller-scale affair, a off-the shelf cake from Miel can be pretty impressive. They're sophisticated-looking, good-tasting, and pricey, but not insanely so.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I am being completely serious, so please don't think I'm being facetious...procure an excellent cake, and arrange for a wonderful piece of jewelry--it doesn't have to be expensive--to be nestled into a bit of the decor. Sentimental rocks.

Croquembouche could be a beautiful option. Traditionally a wedding cake, but rules are made to be broken, right?

Miel does them, but Aux petit Delices is much more reasonable.

"Love and cook with reckless abandon" - Dalai Lama

I guy I know in Paris was just telling me about Aux Petits Delices in Wayne.  He said they have amazing stuff.  The owner used to be the pastry chef at Le Bec Fin, so it must be good.

I'd forgotten about this one! Aux Petit Delices does fabulous work too. Owner is very talented pastry chef and their chocolates are to die for.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

If she's a chocolate nut, I posted a marquise recipe I've won more womens hearts with this recipe than anything else. Marquise :wub:

Dressed up with a few raspberries on top and a dusting of Cocoa and if you bold enough piped white chocolate on dark chocolate disc wishing happy B-day though if your handwriting is anything like mine, the counter willl be full of try outs before you go for it!

Easy to make as good as your chocolate!

Hope this helps

Stef

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!

Not sure if they're in session, but it might be a fun project for the Restaurant School's student run bakery.

The Pastry Shop

at The Restaurant School

at Walnut Hill College

Open daily Monday - Saturday

7:30am - 6:00pm

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I went with Aux Petits Delices. I ordered the Tahitian for 40-50 people. It is a white sponge with Strawberries, Raspberries, Mangos and Kiwi in a creme. It has fondant top and a white chocolate bottom.

I tried a slice before ordering.....the things I do for love.

This was one of the best pieces of cake I ever had. Thanks for all the tips.

--------------------

I must disagree with Roony and Eff about Petit 4's wedding cakes. We had one for a wedding I catered 3-5 years back and all the staff thought both taste and texture could have been better. Wish I remember more specifics otherwise.

That said, it's entirely possible they are significantly better now.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Well, the party was yesterday.

The cake AMAZING, sorry for the lack of picture camera has been missing for a few days.

The cake was light moist packed with fresh fruit and pastry cream. The absolute best cake I ever had.

We had ordered a cake for 40-50 people and had 34 in attendance. The cake was gone in under a 1/2 hour. None was left half eaten. Nothing but a ring of frosting left behind.

Thank you all for the tips. I will definately use Aux Petit Delices again. Sometimes living out here in Chester County isn't bad.

--------------------