• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean food TV

I was channel suring last night and came across a food show. My cable has two channels that are korean. The Korean TV show I think is geared toward show casing different types of dishes served in different resturants in korea. The show's name roughly translated is called "delicious TV". My korean is not that great so I didn't understand much of what they were saying but the food looked great. As far as I can tell they picked 10 restaurants and showed various people eating the house specialty. The food looked great. Has anyone seen this show?

There was one dish that I saw that I had not thought about in a long time.

I don't know what it is called but it basically pork belly (boiled) and eaten rapped on a blanch napa cabbage leaf with a past made of GochuGaru, oysters, and other things. Anyone know what it is called and how to make it?

Soup

Boil pork belly

Blanch napa cabbage

Shred mu and season as for kimchi with the usual mix of gochugaru, garlic, etc.. add raw oysters.

I don't remember the name off the top of my head but it's probably Samgyupsal (pork belly) something. Maybe Samgyupsal ssagi (wrap). I've never ordered it in a restaurant , I've seen my SILs prepare it.

I was channel suring last night and came across a food show.  My cable has two channels that are korean.  The Korean TV show I think is geared toward show casing different types of dishes served in different resturants in korea.  The show's name roughly translated is called "delicious TV".  My korean is not that great so I didn't understand much of what they were saying but the food looked great.  As far as I can tell they picked 10 restaurants and showed various people eating the house specialty.  The food looked great.  Has anyone seen this show?
the flagship segment of the show is called "mat seven" or literally "taste 7" and thats where they feature a countdown of restaurants. they also have several other kinds of segments including a newer one which really irritates me: "legends of the kitchen". the actual content is wonderful, features experts (chefs, etc) talking about a particular dish for that week (like kimchi jjigae). the annoying thing is the host who wears a red coat. i cant stand the guy and ive been watching less bc of him (they started his segment about two or three months ago. ugh).

other segments without the guy are really nice... "celebrity eats" and "let eat! exploring side streets". there used to be two really cute dorks (one boy and one girl) who did a segment called the "map of eastern flavours" (daedong mat jido) but they got rid of them! a great loss! it was a fun segment where they traveled all over korea and explored the more rural areas, foods and peoples. i miss them sooo much.

another irritating fact about the show is that they dont want to give advertising to the restaurants that they feature, so the restaurants are identifed as "g restuarant", "k place" or "m house" and they do that pixelating effect over anything identifying. luckily they do give some of the <a href="http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/ent/delicious/tv_info/index.html">the information</a> on the <a href="http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/ent/delicious/index.html">delicious tv web site</a>. it would have been nice to include all info on the show, but i am grateful for the effort.

their celebrity guests (star-eh mat jib) are also usually pretty good. some folks are cool and dig in with a lot of gusto, but others are more concerned about keeping their lipstick unsmeared while digging into a bowl of yukgyejang. they are just as fun to watch as the pigs...

the main hosts are chipper, chatty with the celebrities and fun to watch. they have a great job.

the <a href="http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/ent/delicious/index.html">web site</a> is generous. they give you <a href="http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/ent/delicious/vod/index.html">a pretty good archive of back episodes</a> on video on demand for a fee.

looked for the samgyeopsal episode on imbcs content link for each episode (click on the clipboard image) and found your episode. it is <a href="javascript:openVOD('http://touch.imbc.com/Touchplayer.asp?id=ATCNT530&file=mms://pvod.imbc.com/pvod/TV/ENTER/ATCNT530/tv_ent_delicioustv_050423_174_c.wmv&type=ENTER&speed=300&image=&caption=');">april 23, 2005s episode</a> (<a href="http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/ent/delicious/1449822_1536.html">episode info</a> reproduced below) where the mat 7 is "ssam yori" or "wrapped dishes".<blockquote><i>음식 대격돌 맛 7 (쌈요리 편)

푸짐하고, 영양이 듬뿍~

한꺼번에 다양한 맛을 맛볼 수 있는 푸짐한 쌈요리~!!

현미 보리 쌈밥부터 정통 터키식 케밥까지~

각양각색~ 화려한 쌈요리 열전!!

음식대격돌 맛7!!</i></blockquote>i am 99% certain that the episode you watched is april 23rds since i watched parts of that episode last week. sounds like va/md/dc is on a similar schedule to that of los angeles'. about two months behind the original korean broadcasts.

i love the show. great ideas and a wonderfully dizzying pace. now if they could just get rid of the red coat guy id be pretty happy....

Edited by melonpan (log)
"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

IThere was one dish that I saw that I had not thought about in a long time.

I don't know what it is called but it basically pork belly (boiled) and eaten rapped on a blanch napa cabbage leaf with a past made of GochuGaru, oysters, and other things.  Anyone know what it is called and how to make it?

Soup

That is called " Bo-Ssam".

Bo-Ssam. That is the name. Thanks for the name and the recipe. Will try to make it real soon.

Melonpan,

Thanks for the links. I'm going on right now and to see what they got. Despite my inability to understand everything, I really like the show. I actually look for it again tonight but it must be a weekly thing.

Soup

^^ If you have a decent semi-large Korean market around you Soup, sometimes they sell bo ssam pre-made. My mom's bought it on a couple occasions and it wasn't half bad.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Ellencho,

thanks for the heads up but I want to try to make it. At the local super H (large korean grocery) they make Urgurie (I hope I got the name right. The fresh made kimchi that is not yet fermented) every weekend I've been there. I'm going buy a bag but ask them to keep the cabbage and the sauce mixture seperate. I'm going to add a pint of raw oysters to the sauce and boil the pork belly in salted water and there you have it. I'm a bit worried about using raw oysters because I'm planning to use the one that come in the platic can and not shuck them myself (maybe I'll skip the oysters).

Soup

Ellencho,

thanks for the heads up but I want to try to make it.  At the local super H (large korean grocery) they make Urgurie (I hope I got the name right.  The fresh made kimchi that is not yet fermented) every weekend I've been there.  I'm going buy a bag but ask them to keep the cabbage and the sauce mixture seperate.  I'm going to add a pint of raw oysters to the sauce and boil the pork belly in salted water and there you have it.  I'm a bit worried about using raw oysters because I'm planning to use the one that come in the platic can and not shuck them myself (maybe I'll skip the oysters). 

Soup

Sounds like a good game plan.

My SILs use frozen oysters. They're still alive.

I wrote upthread to blanch the cabbage. What was I thinking? It's brined.

(I should read my posts before clicking submit)

Isn't "ssam yori" "lettuce cuisine?" (or "leaf cuisine?")

Ssam seems to include lettuces, sheets of konbu (kelp), gaennip or shiso, or other such things, so maybe wrapped cuisine is as good a definition as anything, since that's what's most frequently done with ssam.

Ssam bap is very satisfying...

looked for the samgyeopsal episode on imbcs content link for each episode (click on the clipboard image) and found your episode.  it is <a href="javascript:openVOD('http://touch.imbc.com/Touchplayer.asp?id=ATCNT530&file=mms://pvod.imbc.com/pvod/TV/ENTER/ATCNT530/tv_ent_delicioustv_050423_174_c.wmv&type=ENTER&speed=300ℑ=&caption=');">april 23, 2005s episode</a> (<a href="http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/ent/delicious/1449822_1536.html">episode info</a> reproduced below) where the mat 7 is "ssam yori" or "wrapped dishes".

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Ssam seems to include lettuces, sheets of konbu (kelp), gaennip or shiso, or other such things, so maybe wrapped cuisine is as good a definition as anything, since that's what's most frequently done with ssam.

looked for the samgyeopsal episode on imbcs content link for each episode and found your episode.  it is <a href="javascript:openVOD('http://touch.imbc.com/Touchplayer.asp?id=ATCNT530&file=mms://pvod.imbc.com/pvod/TV/ENTER/ATCNT530/tv_ent_delicioustv_050423_174_c.wmv&type=ENTER&speed=300&image=&caption=');">april 23, 2005s episode</a> (<a href="http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/ent/delicious/1449822_1536.html">episode info</a> reproduced below) where the mat 7 is "ssam yori" or "wrapped dishes".
no, i think i did a good job translating it the first time. "ssam yori" means "wrapped dishes". "ssam" means "wrapped". it is the noun version of the verb "ssa da" which means "to wrap". if you add an "m" to a lot of verbs, you make it into a noun.

"sangchi" or "sangchu" means "lettuce". and sangchi is often used in ssam yori, so you may associate sangchi very tightly with ssamyori. lettuce wraps in korean is called "sanchi ssam". perilla wraps are called "ggaenip ssam". squash leaf wraps are called "hobaknip ssam" and vietnamese rice paper wraps (a more recent trend) is called "bo ssam", although i dont know what "bo" means.

in the episode, they featured some place that featured middle eastern cuisine. there are a number of muslim koreans who love meats etc wrapped in pita breads and that was included in the ssam yori countdown. made their own hummus. they showed how the restaurant baked their own pita breads. it all looked damn yummy.

looked for the samgyeopsal episode on imbcs content link for each episode and found your episode.  it is <a href="javascript:openVOD('http://touch.imbc.com/Touchplayer.asp?id=ATCNT530&file=mms://pvod.imbc.com/pvod/TV/ENTER/ATCNT530/tv_ent_delicioustv_050423_174_c.wmv&type=ENTER&speed=300ℑ=&caption=');">april 23, 2005s episode</a> (<a href="http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/ent/delicious/1449822_1536.html">episode info</a> reproduced below) where the mat 7 is "ssam yori" or "wrapped dishes".
no, i think i did a good job translating it the first time. "ssam yori" means "wrapped dishes". "ssam" means "wrapped". it is the noun version of the verb "ssa da" which means "to wrap". if you add an "m" to a lot of verbs, you make it into a noun.

"sangchi" or "sangchu" means "lettuce". and sangchi is often used in ssam yori, so you may associate sangchi very tightly with ssamyori. lettuce wraps in korean is called "sanchi ssam". perilla wraps are called "ggaenip ssam". squash leaf wraps are called "hobaknip ssam" and vietnamese rice paper wraps (a more recent trend) is called "bo ssam", although i dont know what "bo" means.

in the episode, they featured some place that featured middle eastern cuisine. there are a number of muslim koreans who love meats etc wrapped in pita breads and that was included in the ssam yori countdown. made their own hummus. they showed how the restaurant baked their own pita breads. it all looked damn yummy.

Could that "bo" be the same as the word for blanket or covering? I guess I'd have to see the Hanja if there is one....

Tkrup

"bo ssam", although i dont know what "bo" means.

I asked my dad, he says 'bo' is derived from bojagi (or pojagi)

Whoops, should have read all the way down. Guess your Dad would know better than I would!!

Ah, that's interesting. I guess I never thought of it that way, but it's probably because my Korean language skills are minimal.

A few of my friends in Korea used "ssam" in isolation. For example, one explained to me that "ssam" is expected on "bibimbap", and combined with limited knowledge of "ssam bap" or other ssam dishes, and maybe lack of correction by my Korean teacher :P I had just always thought ssam is a more general word for sangchi.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

got on the website.  Like some of the stuff but much of it, I couldn't figure out because my IE browser doesn't display korean.  Any hints?
im sorry, i dont think i understand what you want hints about... do you mean how to read korean on IE?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone see this week's episode? I only cought about 30 minutes of it. But here is what I think they were talking about.

Apprently in Seoul there is an area that specializes in SoonDae. The guy with the Ladle for a mike went around to different shops and sample the offerings. The food looked great. Few things of korean cooking that I haven't thought about in years. Gopchang (I think it small intestine of a pig). They were doing a stew and soup with it. I remember having it when i was 5. They also had what i think was stuffed gopchang. I'm not sure what its stuffed with but it looked good (made me think about the death scene in tampopo). It really made me want SoonDae Guk but I usually wait until cold weather for weather.

For folks who've not been to a SoonDae resturant, its an advanture.

BTW, SoonDae is a black susage made from blood, rice and noodles. It can go into a soup with other parts of the pig (mostly organs) or eaten by dipping into a season salt or shimp sauce.

In Seoul there are areas that specialize in specific dishes. My parents took me all over the city on eating excursions. Of course I never bothered to take notes on addresses and such.

There is a fantastic soon dae place in LA on Western, near 8th I think. They make it the old fashioned way It's a small place, run by a hard working couple.

Because my family immigrated before there were great Korean restaurants in LA, my parents made alot of stuff at home, including soon dae. If anyone wants to try it at home, I'll ask my mom for her recipe.

EDIT: I shouldn't post before my morning coffee

Edited by touaregsand (log)

Because my family immigrated before there were great Korean restaurants in LA, my parents made alot of stuff at home, including soon dae. If anyone wants to try it at home, I'll ask my mom for her recipe.

EDIT: I shouldn't post before my morning coffee

It must have been very long time ago.

As for the Soondae, I don't mind saying that I'm a little chicken about making it at home. I could see the blood just going everywhere.

t must have been very long time ago.

It was when Korea town in LA was basically a couple of Chinese-Korean restaurants serving hand pulled noodles and there was a supermarket called Cal's or Kal's (I think) that later became the first full fledged Korean supermarket.

There were a few Korean restaurants here and there.

I don't think the restaurant scene in Seoul and in Los Angeles really took off untill the Olympics.

EDIT: The stuffing mixture for soon dae is not that hard to make. The hard part is stuffing the casings without rupturing them. That's the time consuming part. Really if you have a good soon dae place nearby there's really no need to make it at home. It's not like people do it in Korea. My parents were always a bit extreme about making things at home.

Edited by touaregsand (log)

The show was on tonight. This was the 3rd time I had ever seen it and the first time I watch the whole thing. There are two problems with the show. First, I dislike all the on air personalities. Second, they don't seem to show the resturant's name (but I could be wrong since I think I'm catching about 40% of what they are saying). However, I still have to say that I am now a fan. I like the show. It really shows resturants I think average koreans patronize and that korean food is not just kimchi and BBQ.

Tonight show was broken into 3 segments. The first segment showed one resturant and how they make JoakBar (pig's feet). The food looked amazing. The second episode was a top 7 segment. Top seven lunch or takeout food (I'm really guessing here). But the food looked pretty interesting. 3rd segment was about a street in Seoul with resturants that specializes in Pajun.

The was entertaining and informative and it really made me hungry. It also made me think that I've not even scratch the food scene in Seoul on my last visit.

Soup