• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Delicatessens

Ken,

Do you mean the kind of Italian delis found on the east coast, who sell amazing meatball sandwiches, muffaleta, canolli, anchovies in salt by the piece, not just fresh mozzarella but curd as well, aged, ager and agest (?) reggiano, strong olives cured in the house, hard crust bread with that soft to die for crumb, green olive oils from Tuscany to fruity ones from Calabria and anything else a hungry person could want?

Sorry, nothing like that here....Just kidding!

But you won't find it all in one place. One must travel to all the aforementioned stores (salumi, delaurente...) to buy what they do best. Hope you have a car.

Where are you from anyway?

Wendy,

PFI will sell in less than pound units if they have it cut already, and sometimes on the more expensive cheeses if you ask nice.

Also, take your own containers if you want olive or feta brine with your goods.

dave

Olivina ... Originally Boston and you described what I was looking for exactly!!!

It is the stuff of my dreams..

Italian-american is good, no? Does Boston have those storefronts packed floor to ceiling with Italian foods, little wood counter with a cash register, walk thru the store into a little restaurant? I want one of those here.

I'm having major nostalgia :sad:

The secret to getting less than a pound at PFI is to ask for a "small chunk" of whatever you're after, and not care whether it's 1/4 or 3/4 pound. You'll find some way to use it, and they probably won't be irritated with you, especially if you're there buying other stuff.

Wendy,

PFI will sell in less than pound  units if they have it cut already, and sometimes on the more expensive cheeses if you ask nice.

Also, take your own containers if you want olive or feta brine with your goods.

dave

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please