• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sandwiches!

potsticker

My nearby cafe, Hope and Union does a chorizo and smoked gouda that takes me a day to eat.

It's a good two solid inches of paper-thin sliced chorizo, blanketed on both sides by the smoked gouda, served on a huge piece of house-made foccacia that's been slathered with roasted garlic mayo.

They serve it up with homeade coleslaw and potato salad.

Totally evil.

Drink maker, heart taker!

• 3 weeks later...

There is a whole chapter on the art of making sandwiches in a charming little English (very) book called “The Gentle Art of Cookery” , by Mrs C.F Leyel and Miss Olga Hartley. They give 38 recipes for sandwich fillings, and start off by suggesting that the proper accompaniment is champagne, and that:

“ … many hostesses who offer their friends indifferently cooked but pretentious lunches could, with far less trouble, gain an epicurean reputation if they were content with the simplicity of wine and sandwiches.

And as one of the "Best and least known" sandwich fillings they suggest:

Green Butter

Well wash and bone two ounces of anchovies. Boil a large handful of very green parsley, just cover it with water and leave the lid off the pan it boils in. Boil for about five minutes then immediately put the parsley under the cold water tap. Strip the parsley from the stalks and chop it very fine (a parsley cutter costs only a few pence and saves a lot of time). Beat the parsley, the anchovies and a quarter of a pound of butter together into a paste, and pot it. This will keep for a week.

I've been meaning to try it for ages. I guess it would work well with cream cheese too (low fat maybe, if it is an issue). I can imagine some gruesome little boys having great fun showing off their green butter too.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

• 3 months later...

My favorite sandwich is take two medium toasted pieces of sandwich sliced english muffin bread, put mayo on one slice and honey mustard on the other. put a piece of white cheddar cheese on each slice then a couple of thin slices of Boar's Head cajun turkey. assemble sandwich then microwave the sandwich just long enough to melt the cheese (or if you want to do it right heat it up in the toaster oven). It's wonderful.

Aside from my nearly-yearly giant muffaleta for the Super Bowl party or Mardi Gras, just dripping with olive relish, nothing beats a height-of-summer BLT with garden-fresh tomatoes, one nice leaf of lettuce, and a hearty smear of Mayo-naise....on toasted Wonder Bread.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

Right now my two most favoured are your Po'Boy but with a Kiwi twist as I cook the oysters in a beer batter and add lemon pepper mayo to the sandwich. It gets devoured quickly.

The other is chicken with a good mayo, lemon juice and zest, and capers. I cant get enough of it.

Simple stuff and Im happy!

mmmm gotta love sandwiches!

Gotta love the reubon done up right cant beat that! Im also big on a blt with nice wheat bread and two sunny side up eggs with melted cheese on them in the sandwich. Put it all together and eat, runny egg yolks and all! Im also huge on, Duck confit, wheat bread, swiss cheese. lettuce, tomatoe and some plum jelly. delicious!

Po'Boy but with a Kiwi twist as I cook the oysters in a beer batter

That sounds so good!

Recently I woke up to the "saba sando" - apparently a beachside standard in Japan, but I never go to the kind of beaches that sell food, so it was all new to me!

Basically...onion and tomato slices with deepfried mackerel fillets in a sub. Mackerel is one of those fish that taste good cold.

But alternatively, if you give it the south american treatment and include things like green beans, it can wait a few hours in a lunchbox and still taste good.

Since I have a gruesome middle-sized boy, I will certainly try the green butter, too!

P.S. Japanese-style potato salad (which is a bit like german potato salad) makes a good sandwich filling, and adding a slice of bacon does it no harm at all either.

Edited by helenjp (log)

One of my favorite sandwiches, that I haven't eaten in a long time:

1) Start with good bread. Good bread, in my opinion, is crucial to a good sandwich. Here in montreal we have a wonderful chain bakery called Premiere Moisson that makes a lovely sandwich loaf. It is light and airy, has a crunchy crust, and packs some great yeasty flavor.

2) Assemble ingredients: good bread, good charcuterie ( I am partial to smoked turkey), mustard (preferably a smooth dijon), mayonaise, pickles, red onions, tomatoes, a few shreds of lettuce, swiss cheese, pepper, and a ripe avocado if you have one handy.

3) Slice everything thinly, and i do mean thin. I usually go with a few shavings of red onion, one half to a whole pickle, a few thin slices of tomato, maybe a quarter of an avocado, and quite a bit of swiss cheese (melt the cheese for bonus points).

4) Toast bread, not too crispy but definitely add some crunch. Spread mayo as desired with a little bit of mustard on both sides, grind black pepper as desired and then layer in the following order from the bottom up: meat, cheese, half lettuce, pickles, tomato, red onions, avocado, and the other half lettuce.

Enjoy.

oh, and sometimes i add a few thin slices of jalapeno or serrano too, if i want it hot

No sandwich discussion can go by without mention of the Heartland's nearly exclusive deep fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. :biggrin: Seldom it seems are these made in the home but they can be found in just about every restaurant and bar/grill in Indiana and Iowa. I do make my own and have a recipe/tutorial photo essay page...

http://web.mac.com/davydd/iWeb/Site/BPT_Tutorial.html

Here is one of my home made sandwiches...

HolidayTenderloin.jpg

and here is one of six made in the pine forests of Minnesota in a campground...

MiniMinneTenderloinSandwich.jpg

and of course, my Avatar, that I call the "Hangover". :smile:

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

I love a cubano. Most of all I love it when the pork part is leftover from a roast suckling pig and there's lots of cracklin. The bread bit is tricky because it can't be too high-minded but also must be just right--lightish, not doughy, I find myself scooping out the insides with a spoon if there's too much thickness. The lube is schmeared garlic that has been poached slowly in olive oil, with lots of that olive oil spooned onto the bread. A thinly sliced new pickle. Lots of pepper. I like to use a young pecorino and the ham bit I haven't yet resolved. It needs to be a brined ham, juicy and salty. I find mine at Food Emporium. The sandwich is assembled and then cooked using a cast iron skillet as a weight with the sandwich in a non-stick pan. Heaven.

Lately I've been eating roast beef sandwiches with lots of pepper, cold butter sliced thinly and stone ground mustard. The roast beef has been leftovers from pan roasted rib chops.

Then there's a whole other canon with Balthazar brioche on either side. More on that layer.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

I remember as a child just loving a fried "baloney" sandwich.....you know, fried until crispy on the edges with ketchup and soft, white bread (like Wonder Bread). I would bet that I,as an adult, have had a craving for these and succumbed atleast every other year or so....and I remember enjoying them still.

More recently, have been really having fun with tuna salad sandwiches with things other than mayo, onion, celery, eggs. Adding things like artichokes, black olives, garlic, lemon, and/or capers. Very good.

Otherwise, I hate it ......BUT I am trying to stay away from breads ....so less sandwiches for me. :sad:

Donna