• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sandwiches!

potsticker

ooh.. it's a tough one, sandwiches are so good

I like raspberry jam and strong cheddar cheese, on white bread.

toasted sandwich, would this count, if so apple puree with melted cheddar ir great.

bacon, fried egg, buttered white bread, ketchup if the mood is right, that is it, my favourite sandwich.

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

I wonder why there are not more fish mentioned? Divalasvegas' fried fish 'sammich' rings bells for me. Perhaps it may be that poorly fried fish is abysmal when room temp, or cold. I wish we could do a poll of the most mentioned foodstuff.

calimero, if I were ever to indulge in sandwiching in Rome, I would hope to have you for a guide.

toasted sourdough bread with homemade mayonnaise and heirloom tomatoes from the green market, sometimes with lettuce and/or bacon, sometimes just by themselves.

*drool*

:wub:

Green apples, brie cheese, honey mustard and a little salt and pepper on baguette will do too, as will a sandwich jambon/beurre....

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Two Favorites for June:

Taleggio and prosuitto grilled cheese.

Avocado, roasted red pepper and scallion on a cream cheese laden, toasted French roll.

"the only thing we knew for sure about henry porter was that his name wasn't henry porter" : bob

1. Lebanon bologna and swiss cheese on a potato roll with Zatarains Creole mustard.

2. A well made Reuben

3. Roast pork and brocoli rabe with sharp provolone, from Tony Luke's in Philadelphia

However, when I can go into my yard and pick a tomato and some basil and put it on Italian bread with some olive oil and sea salt and a couple turns of pepper all bets are off. That is the all time best

Edited by lancastermike (log)

7. A sloppy joe--God, I haven't had one of those in years.  If anyone can point me to or share a good recipe for this, it would be deeply appreciated

Search no further than here for the eGullet definitive Sloppy Joe topic.

Thanks so much snowangel. I clicked on the link but nothing happened. Probably my slower than a snail of a computer acting up. :angry: I'll try it again later.

And as an addendum to my earlier list of favorites, I should be tarred and feathered for leaving off the king/queen of sandwiches: THE NEW ENGLAND LOBSTER ROLL. That does qualify as a sandwhich, does it not? :hmmm:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

My favorite summer sandwich is shrimp (or crab), avocado, sprouts, and lots of mayo. It's easier to eat this in a pita, but I like the taste of good whole wheat bread better, even if it creates a huge mess.

In the winter, crispy grilled cheese.

I made this sandwich for dinner for my family last night:

Cut a round loaf of bread into 5 layers.

First layer: horseradish and roast beef

Second layer: mustard and turkey or ham, swiss cheese

Third layer: bacon and tomato

Fourth layer: onion and American cheese

Fifth layer: bread that tops the loaf

Brush melted butter with onion salt and sesame seeds over all and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Slice or wedge like a pie. Sloppy to eat but delicious, and it has something for everyone.

This is an old recipe from Taste of Home.

Maggie

7. A sloppy joe--God, I haven't had one of those in years.  If anyone can point me to or share a good recipe for this, it would be deeply appreciated

Thanks so much snowangel. I clicked on the link but nothing happened. Probably my slower than a snail of a computer acting up. :angry: I'll try it again later.

The link is bad. Try this one instead.

Regarding the question at hand, BLT with fresh tomatoes, thick bacon, lots of mayo, and maybe an egg, is hard to beat. A "hot brown" sandwich, with a thick slice of day-old turkey, parmesan/swiss cheese sauce, tomatoe and bacon on toasted bread, is also a contender for my favorite.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

1. Lebanon bologna and swiss cheese on a potato roll with Zatarains Creole mustard.

2. A well made Reuben

3. Roast pork and brocoli rabe with sharp provolone, from Tony Luke's in Philadelphia

However, when I can go into my yard and pick a tomato and some basil and put it on Italian bread with some olive oil and sea salt and a couple turns of pepper all bets are off.  That is the all time best

Being a p-dutch boy i can respect the lebanon bologna aka Summer Sausage.. As a child i would eat those on buttered white white bread with kettle cook potato chips smashed down in the sandwich..

The link is bad. Try this one instead.

Regarding the question at hand, BLT with fresh tomatoes, thick bacon, lots of mayo, and maybe an egg, is hard to beat. A "hot brown" sandwich, with a thick slice of day-old turkey, parmesan/swiss cheese sauce, tomatoe and bacon on toasted bread, is also a contender for my favorite.

Thanks PatrickS. I visited that thread and OMG it never ceases to amaze, enlighten and amuse me how even the humble Sloppy Joe can inspire such passionate exchanges between eGulleteers. Really quite extraordinary. And funny as shit. :laugh:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I have been having a variation on that theme lately, except with a grilled chicken breast in place of the pork. I don't know how Tony Luke's does theirs but I also like to drizzle my bread with olive oil first. And garlic in the rabe, but I think that goes without saying.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I love all kinds of sandwiches, but if I had to name just one favorite, it would have to be:

1. On a fresh, crusty, French baguette

2. Slathered with high-quality, slightly chilled, unsalted butter

3. Layered with peppery, young arugula, a thin slice of provolone and San Danielle prosciutto

This topic is making me hungry...

Megan Woo

IHEARTBACON.COM

OK, let's see

1) Media Noche (like a Cuban, but on a slightly sweet roll) no mustard.

2) Bacon (cooked only to the point where it has a little chew left to it) on white bread with ketchup (the ONLY time I use the stuff)

3) Leftover tomato-meat spaghetti sauce, sweetened slightly, open face over toast. Cheaters' sloppy joe.

4) Best aviailable roast beef sub; provolone cheese, RARE roast beef (if it's not rare, I won't buy it) lettuce, tomato, lots of onion, balsamic vinegar, decent olive oil, a little salt, maybe some mayo. :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I ate too many of those bread and meat things during the brown bag school days and would rather starve than eat what many people call a sandwich.

Let me add a few: sliced hard-boiled egg on cheese toast, cream cheese on toasted raisin bread, tuna melts, shrimp salad on anything, plus the aforementioned reubens, muffalettas, and anything with pastrami or corned beef.

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

After working in delis for almost 20yrs now, my first thought on hearing Sloppy Joe was a whole nuther thing.......Triple decker on rye with russian... turkey swiss corned beef and coleslaw. Except for the russian its a mighty fine sandwich :blink:

I am currently working in an Italian deli and all I eat all day is thin slices of semolina bread dipped into the bruschetta topping and topped with our handmade mozzerella :biggrin:

If I order a sandwich out its usually roast beef lettuce onions and OV....or Taylor ham and egg

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

A North Jersey Double Italian Hot Dog. Which is 2 deep fried all beef dogs stuffed in half a circular roll of Italian pizza bread and topped with mustard, peppers, (no onions for me), and thin sliced potatoes.

John the hot dog guy

A BLT during tomato season with good side bacon Miracle Whip :raz: , fresh country white bread and a little bit of lettuce (it's really about the BT) and I am in heaven :wub: .

Country Cook, so you're a connosieur of Miracle Whip too!? At least now I know I'm not alone. :biggrin:

Just saw Tyler Florence's Ultimate show on Sandwiches. The sandwich he made at the end of the show looked awesome. Roast turkey, avocado and fontina on slices of a nice boule which had been spread with an herb butter then grilled (pressed down with his foil-covered brick) and devoured, close-up, on camera.

I'm drooling. And not just for the sandwich, of course.

Mmmmm. Tyler. :wub:

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

I wonder why there are not more fish mentioned? Divalasvegas' fried fish 'sammich' rings bells for me. Perhaps it may be that poorly fried fish is abysmal when room temp, or cold. I wish we could do a poll of the most mentioned foodstuff.

Do fish tacos count as sandwiches? If they do, I'd add those to my list.

• 11 months later...

I'm coming into the time of year where my husband needs to take a lunch into work with him. Ham & Swiss; Roast beef & Cheddar; Egg or Tuna salad -- they quickly become routine.

So any ideas for some tasty sandwiches? Or spreads?

Thanks --

Laurie

I'm coming into the time of year where my husband needs to take a lunch into work with him.  Ham & Swiss; Roast beef & Cheddar; Egg or Tuna salad -- they quickly become routine. 

So any ideas for some tasty sandwiches?  Or spreads?

Thanks --

Laurie

Laurie, another place for ideas (not necessarily just sandwiches is the topic on Brown Bagging.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"