• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck: The Topic

Trishiad

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@Anna N, best I can quantify, when I baked the leg in question there was no fat on the resulting meat and no fat left in the roasting pan.

Most peculiar is all I can say.  Perhaps @KennethT absconded with the fat for his special bread. 😂

Edited by Anna N
Remove repeated quote. (log)
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Most peculiar is all I can say.  Perhaps @KennethT absconded with the fat for his special bread. 😂

That is most peculiar. I haven't made any duck in a long time, but years ago, my father and I would have a competition on who could make the best whole roast duck.  We must have gone through 6 or 8 ducks - they were all Long Island ducks, which I believe are the pekin breed, and all of those had copious amounts of fat - especially between the leg and the body and in the armpits (wingpits?).  Years later, when I learned about how the Chinese ducks were much leaner, I wished I could have had access to one - I would have won the contest for sure!

Making roti prata with duck fat would be ridiculous.  Dipping that in a coconut curry????  Sigh.....

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KennethT said:

That is most peculiar. I haven't made any duck in a long time, but years ago, my father and I would have a competition on who could make the best whole roast duck.  We must have gone through 6 or 8 ducks - they were all Long Island ducks, which I believe are the pekin breed, and all of those had copious amounts of fat - especially between the leg and the body and in the armpits (wingpits?).  Years later, when I learned about how the Chinese ducks were much leaner, I wished I could have had access to one - I would have won the contest for sure!

Making roti prata with duck fat would be ridiculous.  Dipping that in a coconut curry????  Sigh.....

So now I am completely confused. Are you saying that the Pekin duck breed in North America differs from the Pekin duck breed in China?

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

So now I am completely confused. Are you saying that the Pekin duck breed in North America differs from the Pekin duck breed in China?

They originated in China. The American version sometimes referred to as Long Island is the line of breediing we did here. Europe took a different breeding program path so not identical. But all China originated. The Pekin/Peking similarity between breed and dish confuses some. They are big fat brilliant white ducks and the males particularly attractive with their tail curl. It is the common breed I find here for meat. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 2

there's another issue methinks . . . .

"crispy skin" - that requires high heat to surface-deep-fry the skin to 'crispy'

now....  high heat and really good prepped duck meat - two things that don't get along.

super known/controlled temps conditions, et. al., may result in a fatty leg with a crisp skin and tender meat -

but that's a stretch.

I just clicked n an Eater LA article about dry age fish and this refernce to Mary's chicken popped up suggesting to e perhapos re the duck flavor focus as sales [oint. I think @JoNorvelleWalker lamented lack of fat for her recipe but good flavor. of duck meat.

Adding “dry-aged fish” to a menu is becoming as eye-catching as saying a dish is made with Mary’s chicken or wagyu. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2022 at 4:14 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Great flavor, but it wouldn't work in any duck recipe I've ever read.

Wouldn't it work to confit the duck, then finish under a hot grill? Tender meat and crisp skin?

• Like 1

1331187005_BejingDuck.thumb.jpg.d9469d9a72b07941ddc2230032af7037.jpg

Peking duck and Pekin duck are only confused in English. In fact, they were originally both the same till some not-so-bright spark came up with Pekin for the breed in order to reduce the confusion. One of modern life's great success stories. Not.

645402793_BeijingDuck(1).thumb.jpg.133489858ec930ce097ed207ef94d789.jpg

Even worse is that neither the dish nor the breed originated in Beijing and certainly not anywhere called Peking. I wish I had a yuan for everytime I've been asked why and when the capital of China changed its name. It didn't. It has always been pronounced Beijing - all that changed was the transliteration system used in the west from the unreliable Wade-Giles to to the more accurate Pinyin. Peking was never officially accepted as the name, although Peking University is allowed to retain that name for use in English, due to its international fame. It is one of a handful of names not switched to Pinyin. Tsingtao Beer is actually Qingdao beer in China and Moutai, the strong spirit is Maotai in Pinyin.

The duck breed's exact origin is uncertain but almost certainly somewhere in south-east  Asia (perhaps China, but probably not), far from Beijing. It came to the atttention of the imperial court and slowly gained in popluarity.

The dish, Beijing duck originated in Nanjing, the Ming Dynasty capital, then migrated to Beijing when the emperors relocated, establishing Beijing as the new capital. In Beijing, the dish became more available to those outside the court and rapidly gained popularity. It was then it was given the Beijing name.

Regarding the lack of confusion in Chinese, the duck is called 北京鸭 (běi jīng yā), literally 'Beijing Duck' in Mandarin while the dish is always referred to as 北京烤鸭 (běi jīng kǎo yā ), literally Beijing Roast Duck.

1431398490_WalmartBeijingDuck.thumb.JPG.e9a15ef42805abe91a27cb8ed39a8af3.JPG

北京烤鸭 ("Peking Duck") in a Chinese Walmart store

Some Chinese ducks (10 hens and two drakes) were imported to the USA in 1872 and a breeding program put in place. This mostly took place on Long Island and gave rise to the American Pekin duck. At the same time ducks were imported to the UK. Some of the UK ducks found their way to Germany where they were bred. Today, nearly all Peking ducks in  Europe are German Pekin. They have even been reimported to the UK. Chinese, American and German Pekins vary due to the different breeding programs utilised.

The Chinese Pekins, as still used in Beijing's restaurants are, of course, the Chinese variety and are less fatty than the US and German types.

950719795_ducklegs.thumb.jpg.caa2a98c92ff22819b0d7b7378ed1d88.jpg

Chinese Pekin Duck  Legs

1157615824_ducks1.thumb.jpg.5393415bcd57952f89ea24f1f41f5304.jpg

My local shopkeeper with two live Pekin Ducks.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

30 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

The Chinese Pekins, as still used in Beijing's restaurants are, of course, the Chinese variety and are less fatty than the US and German types.

Thank you. This was all I was trying to ascertain.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

F1D4DB52-C731-4460-A24C-303A85740F7E.thumb.jpeg.06a9654024c15a69448e500382b577d8.jpeg

Came across this at the supermarket where I usually place my online food orders. I couldn’t resist posting it although I managed to resist ordering it.

Edited by Anna N
Typos (log)
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Heard this new-ish book recommended today by the owner of Omnivore Books in San Francisco and thought I’d mention it here:

The Whole Duck: Inspired Recipes from Chefs, Butchers, and the Family at Liberty Ducks (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Amazon's “Look Inside” view shows a good bit of the intro but no full recipes, which sound very tasty from the table of contents listing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Heard this new-ish book recommended today by the owner of Omnivore Books in San Francisco and thought I’d mention it here:

The Whole Duck: Inspired Recipes from Chefs, Butchers, and the Family at Liberty Ducks (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Amazon's “Look Inside” view shows a good bit of the intro but no full recipes, which sound very tasty from the table of contents listing. 

Thanks for this, b-d.   The kindle version of look-inside has an excellent and complete segment on butchering a duck.   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

There is an older book by James Peterson which is well worth chasing down. It was published in 2003 and is called The Duck Cookbook. You might be lucky enough to find it in a thrift store. It’s a bit pricey on amazon.ca.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Here are a few recipes from the book. 

• Thanks 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Bay Wolf (Oakland, CA) was a major player in California Cuisine.    Their menu was in many ways "duck-centric", their being said to always have had a caldron of duck stock on the back burner.    The cookbook, while dated, is a classic, with duck recipes that reflect a joyous culinary era.    Bay Wolf was an early supporter and client of Liberty Farms and is saluted in The Whole Duck.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

this morning @ MarketBasket

Remembered o check the ducks :

Fz , Maple Leaf , from Canada :

$ 7.49 //lbs  3.5lbs duck  :  $ 26 

12 % added Canadian salt water !

the salt water came to approx  $ 3.15

drunk.jpeg.de1541512a32598a6cba9590d3973478.jpeg

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

this morning @ MarketBasket

Remembered o check the ducks :

Fz , Maple Leaf , from Canada :

$ 7.49 //lbs  3.5lbs duck  :  $ 26 

12 % added Canadian salt water !

the salt water came to approx  $ 3.15

drunk.jpeg.de1541512a32598a6cba9590d3973478.jpeg

Huh. My local No Frills (the discount arm of Loblaw's, our largest grocery chain) has ducks for $3CDN/lb, up from $2/lb back in the spring. They're costlier at the main supermarkets, mind you.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

59 minutes ago, rotuts said:

and WF ?

Wild Fork (probably not the WF you had in mind) sells whole Pekin ducks from Culver Duck Farms @ $4.38/lb, about the same as Culver charges on their website. 

Aldi periodically has whole, frozen ducks from a Canadian supplier @ $2.49/lb, also with the 12% brine that @rotuts mentioned.  $2.49 Aldi salt water is a little less annoying than $7.49 Market Basket salt water 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I can buy Brome Lake frozen duck for $4.49/lb. No brine. Used to be closer to $2.99/lb. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I always think back to sending DH to my favorite Chinese market to buy 2 ducks for a dinner party.     Since few at the market spoke English, I sent him off with a 3x5 card on which I had drawn a duck head with neck, duck body and duck feet.   I instructed him to choose 2 ducks, put them in plastic bags, pay for them, then return to the butcher counter and hand the nice man the card.  Nice man cut up the ducks as shown and husband came home an accomplished shopper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

47 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I always think back to sending DH to my favorite Chinese market to buy 2 ducks for a dinner party.     Since few at the market spoke English, I sent him off with a 3x5 card on which I had drawn a duck head with neck, duck body and duck feet.   I instructed him to choose 2 ducks, put them in plastic bags, pay for them, then return to the butcher counter and hand the nice man the card.  Nice man cut up the ducks as shown and husband came home an accomplished shopper.

Must be hard to stuff a duck into a plastic bag.

Last night I cooked my last leg from Mary's Duck.  This time for nine hours at 72C followed by about five minutes at 250C.  Easier to eat than the other night, still not great.  And for some reason the flavor was not as good.

Today I ordered chicken thighs.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou