• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

3 hours ago, bonkboo said:

My first one.  I've never worked with duck before.  Should I roast?  Butcher it and confit the legs?  Cook the breasts?  What about the rest?  Help!

Thanks

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/12/24/255869249/hair-dryer-cooking-from-smores-to-crispy-duck

I made a version of Marcella Hazan's recipe some years back, and the results were exceptional.  Send me a PM if you'd like the recipe, or you can look on line for Marcella's. 

The recipe I used was modified from Hazan's 1978 More Classic Italian Cooking is simplicity itself in terms of ingredients, using only fresh herbs, salt and pepper to accent the duck's natural flavors. But it's way out there in terms of technique, achieving a remarkable, grease-free and glassy-crisp skin by a thoroughly non-traditional procedure: First the duck is simmered in boiling water for a few minutes, then prepped for roasting by blasting it all over with a standard home hair dryer.

Marcella's name for the dish is the simple, descriptive Italian "Anatra Arrosto" ("roast duck"), but for the past 30 years I've  lovingly nicknamed it "hair-dryer duck."

Shel_B

Shel_B

3 hours ago, bonkboo said:

My first one.  I've never worked with duck before.  Should I roast?  Butcher it and confit the legs?  Cook the breasts?  What about the rest?  Help!

Thanks

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/12/24/255869249/hair-dryer-cooking-from-smores-to-crispy-duck

I made a version of Marcella Hazan's recipe some years back, and the results were exceptional.  Send me a PM if you'd like the

recipe, or you can look on line for Marcella's. 

The recipe I used was modified from Hazan's 1978 More Classic Italian Cooking is simplicity itself in terms of ingredients, using only fresh herbs, salt and pepper to accent the duck's natural flavors. But it's way out there in terms of technique, achieving a remarkable, grease-free and glassy-crisp skin by a thoroughly non-traditional procedure: First the duck is simmered in boiling water for a few minutes, then prepped for roasting by blasting it all over with a standard home hair dryer.

Marcella's name for the dish is the simple, descriptive Italian "Anatra Arrosto" ("roast duck"), but for the past 30 years I've  lovingly nicknamed it "hair-dryer duck."