• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Sirloin Roast

Basilgirl

Depending on the thickness I would broil them with minimal seasoning. If they are real thick I would sear then bake to temp.

Living hard will take its toll...

In my experience, pork sirloin doesn't respond well to dry- or high-heat methods, because it's a jumble of muscles and connective tissue.The only thing for it is a braise. A second count against it is that it doesn't have a lot of flavor, so you need to do whatever you can to boost the braising liquid -- tomatoes, mushrooms, something with soy sauce or worcestershire.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I get what are called pork sirloin cutlets. Pound, breadcrumb, brown, add tomato sauce simmer for a while, top with garlic jack and serve with pasta. It's a good meal for a good price, given the cost of other boneless things (veal, chicken).

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

The cooking style depends on the amount of marbling. "The other white meat" has almost no fat and needs special care to avoid drying out.

The best cooking method I've found came from the NY Times several years back:

- Take pork chops or cut the meat into chop-thickness pieces (3/4" or so).

- Pan fry 4 minutes on each side.

- Remove from heat, cover tightly and let sit for 12 minutes.

- An instant read thermometer should show 150 degrees.