• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Father's Day in NJ

Rosie

• 1 year later...

I'm BUMPING this thread back up because it's that time of year again! Anyone taking their special father/father-in-law/father-like person out anywhere good?

I'd love any ideas or suggestions... I'm considering perhaps going to a restaurant mentioned in the NJ thread, that is newer. Maybe I'll change my mind! Rosie? Anyone?? Idea's, suggestions for Father's Day Dinner in/near Bergen County NJ (or anywhere up north, but for ME... Bergen County area!) Thanks! :cool:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

We had breakfast at Janice in HoHoKus...had never been there before, and I had heard good things about it so I thought I would like to try it. We're usually a diner kinda bunch on Sundays(Coach House, Tom Sawyer, or "Pancakes as Big as Your Head" in Ridgewood) All in all it wasn't bad...relatively resonably priced, but not as kid friendly as I would have expected, given the area (only high chairs, no boosters; and no kids menu. It frightens me that these are now things I think about when evaluating a restaurant)

The food was good, but not spectacular, and that made me sad because it's exactly the type of place that I root for to have great food. For example, my wife's French Toast was tasty, but it was just the standard thin slice of white bread. In their defense, however, they did also offer Cinnamon Raisin FT (which in my experience is usually thicker), and they had a special of "Texas French Toast," indicating that they do have the thicker available. But I would like to see a place like that have a better standard item, and then really wow me with their special. Also, my Eggs Beney were properly and well (though not expertly) prepared. But I was very disappointed that they weren't using home-made hollandaise.

On a bright note, the oatmeal has a good presentation. It's the bowl (a rather HUGE bowl at that - see my comment about kids portions) and then served along side it is a platter with small bowls of brown sugar, walnuts, raisins,, and craisins - thus allowing you to do quite a bit of doctoring yourself.

We'll probably hit there again, just to try another round of options. And I'd be interested to check out their dinner service. Anyone ever been there and care to share their experience?

Oh - for dinner I spent a few hours in the kitchen, which is something I don't get to do nearly enough of any more. Basic stuff, but oh so good - grilled some steaks, grilled some veg, made some German Potato Salad, marinated some fresh mozz and hit it with some basil puree, made a rasp-blueberry trifle (watched a little soccer). Papa was a happy man.

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

We went to Fortunato's in Lyndhurst... the food was tasty, the service superb however the staff was a bit over-attentive (we were the only ones there for the first 30 minutes maybe that's why?!) it was freaking my MIL out a wee bit.

I got the braised short ribs, hubby got the osso buco, his father got the steak special and his mother got the chicken w/spinach - we shared 2 appetizers the mozzarella one and the eggplant one.

Aaron our waiter was wonderful and if you didn't mind the staff hovering often everything was great!

The tab was a tiny bit on the pricy side for 4 adults (appx. $200.) but all in all it was very good for a Sunday/holiday supper and everyone enjoyed their food and desserts.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

We'll probably hit there again, just to try another round of options.  And I'd be interested to check out their dinner service.  Anyone ever been there and care to share their experience?

every time i go i think it's going to be a really great experience and every time i leave i wonder why i returned. can't they do better?

Wound up at Rajin Cajin in Belmar, yesterday with some relatives who were celebrating their anniversary, as well as Father's Day.

A very causaul place, and a wee bit dark inside, but, I was pleasantly surprised with the food. My cousin's family once owned a seafood restaurant, so he is very picky when it comes to eating seafood. He's been dining here for years.

We all had mussels to start with and they were served in a lite tomatoey broth that had a little kick to it. A bowl of rolls came out to sop up the nice juices. The rolls were the crusty bake & serve type, but they were steaming hot out of the oven. Who could resist these? They also placed two heads of roasted garlic on the table, too. YUM.

Some of the entrees our table had were Blackened Catfish, Shrimp Etoufee, Shrimp Jambalaya, and Garlic Shrimp and Vegetables over angelhair pasta. All was very fresh and excellently prepared with just the right heat.

I would definitely put this on my list if you are in the area.

Took my dad to The Jefferson (Hoboken). Outstanding as always -- Mussels and Sausage (great broth) appetizer split by the table. Entrees:

Dad - Pepper crusted tuna (perfectly seared on the outside, cool and rare inside)

Mom - Rack of Lamb (a special) with mashed potatoes and greens

Sis - Hangar Steak and mushroom Calzone (could feed a small army with this)

Me - Short Ribs -- perfectly tender and wonderfully seasoned.

Desserts: Chocolate 3 ways and Bread Pudding "Bruschetta" -- both yummy.

Great atmosphere -- great food. Too hot to eat in the garden, however...

Edited by jon777 (log)

I tried, really....we took my Dad to Famous Dave's in Mountainside. It's where he wanted to go! It wasn't bad, but it could have been so much better. The ribs are decent, and so's the pulled pork.

Otoh, we had excellent apple strudel & ice cream at the house after, from the bakery in Clifton that we went to when I was a kid. With Kona on the side. :smile:

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

My uncle was in town from (of all places) Louisville KY, and said he would love to have some "real Jersey Italian food," so we ended up at Nauna's Bella Casa on Valley Road in Montclair. I have to say that if you're in the mood for 'red sauce' Italian, they really do know what they're doing!

We shared a string bean/mozz/olives/red onion/tomato salad with a delicious balsamic vinaigrette and a plate of zucchini sticks (fake fries). Entrees were Chicken and Sausage Murphy (EXCELLENT), Chicken Nauna (leftovers currently warming), which has spinach, mozz, red peppers and sausage in a brown sauce (VERY GOOD), the chicken escarole soup, an eggplant dish without the meat for mom, and a whole wheat pasta dish for my uncle, who also did a good job of sampling everything else. :laugh: Needless to say, we left full, and the craving was hit! Their pizza's pretty good too... :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

We'll probably hit there again, just to try another round of options.  And I'd be interested to check out their dinner service.  Anyone ever been there and care to share their experience?

every time i go i think it's going to be a really great experience and every time i leave i wonder why i returned. can't they do better?

That's my gut feeling about this place, but I'll give it it's fair shot.

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami