• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Napa or Sonoma?

Lori_Russo

I'll stick my $.02 in.  My wife & I live part-time in Yountville, and have been visiting both valleys on a regular basis for the last 15 years.  I agree with everyone here about the character of the two valleys, but due to your time constraints, I think you're better off staying over on the Napa side this trip.

HTH, and have a GREAT time.

Hi, everyone. Just thought I would circle back and report on my trip to California. First, I have to commend you Californians for being the smartest people in the world. At every turn, I asked myself -- "Why don't I live here??? What am I DOING in Washington, DC?"

Anyway, I started the day at Chateau Montelena in Calistoga. The grounds were absolutely gorgeous and the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Tommy in the tasting room was especially nice. The wine was, of course, incredible -- I brought back several bottles of the '04 Potter Valley Reisling which I do not believe is available on the market. After Montelena was Sterling, which was a fantastic choice for the Nephew. He rode all the way to the top of the hill with his eyes and mouth wide open. The Reserve Room is a must if you want to try Sterling's better wines. Finally ended up at Cakebread, which was excellent, as well. I wish we could have seen more, but we had to make our 5:30 reservation at Bouchon.

Of course, prior to dinner, I took the obligatory lap around the French Laundry to absorb the essence of the place. Yountville has got to be one of the neatest little towns I have ever seen. Again -- why don't I live there??? Bouchon was fantastic -- the service was great (thank you, Casey) and the food was just wonderful.

I also had the once-in-a-lifetime pleasure of enjoying a lengthy dinner at Manresa with our friend Ya-Roo. I am still trying to figure out how to express that experience in words. It was unforgettable.

Hope to make it out to California again soon. Thank you all again for your guidance and advice.

Best,

Lori