• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Removing Raspberry Seeds

celenes

I am wondering what's the easiest way to get rid of the seeds from raspberries?

I have a recipe that uses fresh raspberries in the batter and I would like it to be less crunchy but still have the raspberry. Do I just need to puree it better or is there another way?

I don't want to use seedless jam in replace of the fresh raspberries if I don't have to.

Believe, Laugh, Love

Lydia (aka celenes)

I make my own seedless raspberry puree all the time. I used to press it though a fine sieve... what a pain that is. It takes forever and is hard on the arm in my opinion. I'd had it with that method until finally I got a hand crank food mill. What a relief... very fast and easy so that's my recommendation. Or for more money there's probably some sort of electric type but I haven't seen one where I live. If you have a really high powered food processor like one of those vitamix blenders, I think that would actually break down the seeds thoroughly rather than having to strain the seeds out but I haven't tried that either.

The "trick" to straining seeded fruits in a chinois is to use a metal soup ladel and NOT a spatula to press down your puree.

Also if your going to make pureed raspberries it's cheaper to buy them frozen then to purchase and use fresh.

Last, I wouldn't suggest using raspberry preserves.........that would be too sweet and seem artifical compared to using a puree.

RLB recommends a Cuisinart Power Strainer, an attachment to the food processor. These have not been made for years. I remember deciding (when they were available) that I didn't want to spend the $x (? $30?) on one.

About two years ago, after MUCH frustration with trying to strain raspberries, I got on eBay and bought a power strainer. (And, it also needs the "power juicer" to be able to work.) The juicer wasn't bad--maybe $25. The power strainer was about $83. :blink:

Even though I'm embarrassed by how much I spent, I adore it. Made strawberry puree on Sunday in under five minutes, completely strained.

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

I am wondering what's the easiest way to get rid of the seeds from raspberries?

If you have an electric juicer, that works great too...strains all the seeds out.

How do you use a food mill? I bought a hand food mill several years ago and have never used it because I can't figure out how. LOL

Also, I tried making raspberry puree and it was hellish. I tried straining the puree through a sieve and the pulp just sat there along with the seeds. I was trying to make a raspberry puree to add to Swiss Meringue Buttercream...what a disaster. It was full of seeds.

Also, I tried making raspberry puree and it was hellish.  I tried straining the puree through a sieve and the pulp just sat there along with the seeds.  I was trying to make a raspberry puree to add to Swiss Meringue Buttercream...what a disaster.  It was full of seeds.

Did you push the puree through using a spatula? I made a raspberry buttercream just last weekend, and removing the seeds took no more than a few minutes. Best to do it in a few portions, so you can remove the seeds as they collect.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

If you get impatient like me, you can squeeze it through cheesecloth.

Sort of less work then running it through the strainer or sieve and moving the spatula

around. :smile:

Plus, you don't have to pick/poke out the seeds that end up wedged into the strainer mesh.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Did you push the puree through using a spatula? I made a raspberry buttercream just last weekend, and removing the seeds took no more than a few minutes. Best to do it in a few portions, so you can remove the seeds as they collect.

I've been looking for a raspberry buttercream recipe that used puree made at home. Would you be willing to share it?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I've been looking for a raspberry buttercream recipe that used puree made at home. Would you be willing to share it?

I simply used Rose Levy Beranbaum's Mousseline Buttercream recipe (from the Cake Bible, I'm sure you have it) and added the puree to taste at the end.

For the puree, I just whizzed the raspberries with a few teaspoons of sugar and a tiny squeeze of lemon.

I've found this buttercream stores well at room temperature for 2-3 days.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

How do you use a food mill?  I bought a hand food mill several years ago and have never used it because I can't figure out how. LOL

Also, I tried making raspberry puree and it was hellish.  I tried straining the puree through a sieve and the pulp just sat there along with the seeds.  I was trying to make a raspberry puree to add to Swiss Meringue Buttercream...what a disaster.  It was full of seeds.

Okay, my husband assembled my food mill the right way. :biggrin: and I figured out how to use it today.

I cooked down a 12 ounce bag of frozen raspberries (thawed in advance) until most of the liquid was gone. Then I poured the puree into my food mill and hand cranked that baby until most of the seeds were out. I rinsed the seeds out of the mill and ran the puree through it a second time. I'd say that I removed about 98% of the seeds. There's still one here or there, but it's a LOT better than my last effort. :)

Once I removed the seeds, it didn't seem like there was much puree left...maybe 1/3 cup or so. However I added it to a batch of Swiss Meringue Buttercream and the flavor of the raspberry puree really sparkled through. I guess it's so concentrated that you don't need much to flavor the buttercream.

Edited by Kris (log)

• 10 months later...

Does anyone have a better way to take the seeds out of fresh raspberries besides a big strainer and a spoon?????

Is there a machine I can buy to do this???

I bought a juicer thinking this would work but...NOT!!!!

Any help here really appreciated......oh besides buying them that way!

Does anyone have a better way to take the seeds out of fresh raspberries besides a big strainer and a spoon?????

Is there a machine I can buy to do this???

I bought a juicer thinking this would work but...NOT!!!!

Any help here really appreciated......oh besides buying them that way!

It's a thankless job no matter how you slice it. I puree the berries in the food processor and then force the pulp through a very fine sieve with a stiff plastic spatula. Good for toning the upper arms, but it is time-consuming. :wink:

I make a lot of raspberry sauce. I blend it up well while it is hot, then force it thru a chinois with a 2 oz ladle. Just pour enough sauce to fill the strainer, and pump quickly with the ladle. It works really quick. Just be careful not to splash. If you have a lot to do, dump the seeds out of the strainer between batches.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

Has anyone tried using cheesecloth to strain the seeds out?

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I tried cheesecloth once, with little success; either the seeds went through the cheesecloth (even when double-layered) or the non-seedy pulp got stuck and refused to go through. I ended up mostly with raspberry juice and a handful of tasty, but still seed-filled, raspberry solids.

I was thinking about trying it again, maybe using it more like a sieve and pressing the puree through with a spoon or something, but haven't had a chance yet. Let me know if you find a successful method!