• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Culinary Schools

tasty

I've also asked about 1-shot private group lessons for anyone who is interested (Van.Lee and CdnBkn), as well as a "short" run 2-3 class custom series. Minimum 12 participants, all hands-on. Maybe we could do the first two fundamentals classes of Foodie? Updates to follow.

PS - I too would be taking the courses just for personal interest/experience. Props to y'all with the chops, but me in a pro kitchen? To quote Mike Meyers, "Cha right, and monkeys might fly outta my butt."

Thanks for looking into this. That would be great!

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I went to Dubrulle in 2001. I had Chef Tony and Chef Ian as instructors. Most of the time it was Chef Tony. (Also had Chef Christophe do a handful of lectures at that time.) (As mentioned in previous posts, the 3 are now at Northwest.) I did the Basic Culinary Program and I really loved it. I liked every single day that I was at school. This is, of course, due to the excellent chef instructors I had.

As for the school (Dubrulle) itself, of course they just want your money. I also went to Pacific for a tour, but discounted them right away and chose Dubrulle instead. PICA was too slick; I mean, they're *really* obvious about just wanting your money. I know someone who took the Pastry Program there and heard that students weren't satisfied with the school, in general. With Dubrulle being part of AI now, then perhaps they've become more like PICA. I don't really know. re VCC: I had the impression, or was given the impression, that they were gearing people for more industrial-type kitchens. But mostly I chose Dubrulle because it was a shorter program.

If anybody wants to go to culinary school, I would recommend choosing Northwest. You must understand, Chef Tony, Chef Christophe and Chef Ian are *really* *really* *really* good instructors. (And from their website, it seems that their program is cheaper too!)

http://www.nwcav.com/index.html

That's all. =)

Tiffanie

Chef Fowke and I were talking a few months about a butchery course, but it just sort of dropped to the side....Hmmmm...Brian, any thoughts?

There are precious few skilled butchers around these days. Stepping into a new job about a year ago, where minor-league butchery skills were important, I took it upon myself to get a bit of education.

Having only a little of the most common butchery skills in my background, I phoned a local, and recommended butcher shop, to see if I could "drop in" for a couple days with the butcher.

A couple of rounds of phone tag later, they were happy to take me in to break down a front, then hind quarter of beef. It's one thing to clean a striploin, tenderloin, or a prime rib, and to read about it in a text book and have an understanding of what goes where. It's another to put that side of beef on a table and cut it up.

Big ups to Slater's in Victoria.

Butchery, as a trade, seems to be becoming a niche market. What do you think the grocery chains are doing about this? Do they still employ ticketed butchers?

-- Matt.

Chef Fowke and I were talking a few months about a butchery course, but it just sort of dropped to the side....Hmmmm...Brian, any thoughts?

There are precious few skilled butchers around these days. Stepping into a new job about a year ago, where minor-league butchery skills were important, I took it upon myself to get a bit of education.

Having only a little of the most common butchery skills in my background, I phoned a local, and recommended butcher shop, to see if I could "drop in" for a couple days with the butcher.

A couple of rounds of phone tag later, they were happy to take me in to break down a front, then hind quarter of beef. It's one thing to clean a striploin, tenderloin, or a prime rib, and to read about it in a text book and have an understanding of what goes where. It's another to put that side of beef on a table and cut it up.

Big ups to Slater's in Victoria.

Butchery, as a trade, seems to be becoming a niche market. What do you think the grocery chains are doing about this? Do they still employ ticketed butchers?

-- Matt.

I know that the Nesters in Vancouver and Surrey locations both have excellent butchers, I only buy from them. :biggrin:

Fish is the only food that is considered spoiled once it smells like what it is. - P. J. O'Rourke

• 2 weeks later...
I believe I have a lock on the Serious Foodie course as my birthday present (actually, I should check if they even have space, I suppose!) and would like to encourage fellow Gulleters to sign up too!

Yay!

:biggrin:

That will make three eGulleteers, Deborah. Joie and I are in for the course starting in September.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

I believe I have a lock on the Serious Foodie course as my birthday present (actually, I should check if they even have space, I suppose!) and would like to encourage fellow Gulleters to sign up too!

Yay!

That will make three eGulleteers, Deborah. Joie and I are in for the course starting in September.

Oh, good, that will be fun. :smile:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

This is my first post so please be kind..so..I did go to Dubrelle ..many many years ago..July of 1987..with Pierre himself and legions of others. It was a great time..I was a slightly older student than some ..and very very keen.I was also working for the airlines at the time so it was hectic times..going to school in the morning then working 4pm till midnight.

I agree with some that there were parts of the schooling that did not prepare one for the intense real world of a fast paced kitchen...but I believe that comes with time and experience. What I learned ..especially from Chef Dubrelle was integrity,love and passion. And as we all know ..some people have it and some people do not no matter what school they go to or what training they have recieved.

In my cafe and catering business I have hired people that have gone to cooking school and some who have not gone to cooking school. I think it depends on the person and their degree of passion and also the fit in the kitchen. I have been blessed at the moment with some incredibly talented people ...with various backrounds and schooling..or lack of ..but the bottom line is our devotion to fresh,seasonal, and innovative.

We love what we do and it shows..so it dosen't really matter what school you choose or even if you don't go to school..have passion and integrity.

IN FOOD, CHEF LYNN FROM ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS FOODS CAFE AND CATERING

Yay!

Four and counting. I met Marla and Chef Christophe on Thursday and am wishing the course started tonight. Plus I got a sweeeet deal on a Henckles chef's knife at the Bay on Canada Day. 50% off. Now I'm set.

On a related note, I also talked to them about private courses and focused regional courses. We can do a private group (minimum 12, or cover the minimum cost of $900 with however many people we can get) and get instruction on whatever we want - be it fundamental techniques like knife skills or whatever. (Note: knife skills will be a part of the Serious Foodie course, so some may not want to do this twice in a row.) Or we can do regional cuisine, say one region of France.

Focused regional courses open to the public will also take place in the new year. Chef Christophe says that he usually does an 8-week course, but may split these into shorter committments. News will follow on the website.

Finally, they will also be offering amateur baking and pastry courses. Similar short courses will probably be available, again check the website.

What I suggest is, if you are interested in taking a private eG course, PM me and I will start compiling a list of parties, along with how long you are willing to commit to (1-2-or-3 classes), and what you would like to learn. Like I mentioned above, most fundamental techniques will be covered in Serious Foodie so it is more likely that we will be able to get group consensus on regional cuisine rather than another course on knife skills.

Cheers,

Brian

Yay!

Four and counting.

Maybe 5 ... considering it as a birthday gift. Any idea how many places are left?My only concern is how much (or how little) work we'll get done. We're not exactly a quiet group.

A.

Yay!

Four and counting.

Maybe 5 ... considering it as a birthday gift. Any idea how many places are left?My only concern is how much (or how little) work we'll get done. We're not exactly a quiet group.

A.

Chef will whack you if you don't behave :angry:

And you are partnered with two other people each class, rotating, so no little cliquey giggly groups.

innocent.gif

Ahem. Just as well, really.

ETA: "A few spots left" according to Marla.

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Arne: as of last week, I believe there were about 12 spaces filled (max 24). Don't know if this number includes Lee, Joie and Deborah though. It does seems like this site has once again generated buzz with something food related.

I was just thinking that a class half-filled with eG's would be potentially, I don't know, weird? for other "civillians". But it sounds like they encourage mingling and not clique-ing, so it should be good.

It's nice to hear that there will be eG's present; since I have to miss the first two classes, at least I will know the class keeners in advance, so I can photocopy your notes... :raz:

ETA: Oops, didn't see Deborah's note on spaces.

Edited by BCinBC (log)

Now, before I get all excited and sign up, is the Serious Foodie course just being offered on Monday evenings this fall, or will they be running multiple evenings during the week as they did in the spring?

No matter what anyone says, "lite" speed internet is a total fallacy. Still waiting on my ADSL connection here at the cabin. :angry:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Now, before I get all excited and sign up, is the Serious Foodie course just being offered on Monday evenings this fall, or will they be running multiple evenings during the week as they did in the spring?

No matter what anyone says, "lite" speed internet is a total fallacy.  Still waiting on my ADSL connection here at the cabin.  :angry:

8 consecutive Mondays! Sept 19-Nov 14 excluding Thanksgiving one supposes as that would make 9 weeks.

Yay!

Agenda-free since 1966.

8 consecutive Mondays! Sept 19-Nov 14 excluding Thanksgiving one supposes as that would make 9 weeks.

Yay!

Gracias chica!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

[host]

Time to bring this one back on topic. Discussing the contents of the "Foodie" programme are fair game. Planning who's coming is not. (Yes, I've just slapped my own wrist ... )

[/host]

Are you provided with knives for this class?

A.

You guys are so lucky!! I so wish I could come this fall too but I can't see how I could get the money together in time. Oh well, you'll have to let us know all about it and I'll live vicariously through you until maybe next fall when hopefully I'll be able to experience it myself. I'm really interested in the baking & pastry courses as well so I'll have to keep my eye on their site.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Are you provided with knives for this class? 

A.

There are some knives at the chef's station you can borrow in a pinch, but you should bring your own. Buy a 8" or 10" Victorinox Chef's knife at the VCC downtown bookstore (or Ming Wo during a sale) if you want a cheap but good one. The Foodie class doesn't go into great detail on knife technique. You learn the proper way to hold a knife and do some basic cuts, but there's a limit to how much they can teach in the time allotted.

If I was back in Van. I'd be happy to teach anyone knife basics in return for Martinis... and it's already been proven that I'll sharpen knives in return for kolachys.

Chef Tony usually runs the Foodie class, and everyone in the classes I was assisting at last winter seemed to have a blast. He can handle a group of eGulleters, don't worry about that! If you want to get some people together to get specific training on knife skills, any of the Chefs could teach it, but I'd ask if Chef Ian is available to do a seminar. He's the 'technician' of the 3 instructors.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

If I was back in Van. I'd be happy to teach anyone knife basics in return for Martinis...  and it's already been proven that I'll sharpen knives in return for kolachys.

And a damn fine job you did too! If you'll remember, the day after you sharpened my chef's knife, I sliced the tip of my finger. But it was so sharp there was very little bleeding :unsure::laugh:

Not sure if I'd want anyone teacing me knife skills after a martini.

Good tip on the Victorinox at VCC. I've already got a Wuestof set going ... time to keep my eyes peeled for a sale.

A.

Presumably if one already has a decent set of knives, one needn't go buy more? :unsure:

Do you think I can count on the Chef or someone to help me sharpen? I have a steel, but I fear I'm not exactly...skilled in its use.

(Glad to hear from you, Dave! we miss you round these parts.)

Agenda-free since 1966.

I'm so happy to hear some of you will be attending the Serious Foodie course at Northwest. Money well spent. Just wait till you meet Chef Tony...like HK Dave said, he will have no problem handling the likes of e-gulleters. I wish I could be a fly on the wall during your classes. You are going to have so much fun!

Do you think I can count on the Chef or someone to help me sharpen? I have a steel, but I fear I'm not exactly...skilled in its use.

This reminded me of my first day at cooking school, the first lesson on steeling. We are all strangers, the room is quiet, we are asked to begin aligning our knives so a slow, off beat scratching sound begins, and suddenly, there is one person who breaks the rhythm with fast, beautiful sliding sounds. Everyone stops, looks up to see who the show off is. It's obvious we have a pro among us. He graduated with top honours of our class and is now at Aurora Bistro.

The angle is more important than the speed.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Arne, any knife lessons would have to be pre-Martini!

Deborah, the school has an (excellent) Chef's Choice electric sharpener, and if your knife is dull, you can get someone to run it through that. Steeling doesn't really sharpen a knife (unless you have a diamond steel) but it does keep it from getting dull. I can't remember for sure, but I'm pretty sure Chef Tony shows you how to steel on the first day of Foodie, and I bet if you bat your eyelashes at one of the hunky assistants, they would be happy to give a more personal demo.

The only knife you need for Foodie class is a basic chef's knife, around 8-10". If you have a paring knife and a steel, it wouldn't hurt. No need to buy anything else.

(I miss you guys, too... Life back in HK is good, despite the fact that I'm not in a kitchen. Did a quick cooking course in Bali a few weeks ago, and here's what I was up to last week: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=70383 )

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Just received this email from Marla at NWCAV:

There are still a few spots left (9 to be exact) in the Serious Foodie class, however, it is very popular and people seem to be looking ahead and planning their schedules – we have had 5 people sign up for it this week.  So, I would suggest to your friends that they register earlier rather than later to avoid disappointment.  They can call me anytime at 604.876.7653 and either pay the full amount now or at least put a deposit of $100 to hold a place.

I'll start a new thread in the Cooking forum once the class starts where we can post our comments ... a "Serious Foodie" Class Blog of sorts. I wonder how Chef Tony will handle a room full of cameras :rolleyes:

A.