• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do they make flavored vodka?

mbanu

I was wondering if anyone here knew how they typically make commercial flavored vodkas?

Do they soak the botanicals in the vodka and then redistill it like with gin? Do they soak the botanicals in the vodka and then filter it to remove the color like with Puerto Rican rum? Do they just add essential oils and additives to regular vodka? All of the above? None of the above?

Any help would be appreiciated.

Edited by mbanu (log)

Not 100% sure about commercial but if you wanted to make sloe gin you just fill the bottle with pricked sloes 2/3 full then cover with Gin and leave for several months! Then decant cant imagine it's much different though is it not possible that the base alcohol is made using the other ingredients if its clear? If its got colour though I reckon distilation would remove it though not sure.

When do those sloes come out? :smile:

Stef

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!

I assume it varies from maker to maker.

Craft distillers like Charbay and St. George Spirits (Hangar One), use a process similar to the one they use for their eau de vies. Macerate whole fruit and re-distill.

Other larger companies just add food grade coloring and flavoring to vodka.

Here's an article from the San Francisco Chronicle about this very subject.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...WIGBFCN76G1.DTL

Personally, I'm curious about the manuka honey vodka.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

But this isn't a question about how to make an infusion or flavored vodka at home, it's about how commercial flavored vodkas are made.

Alright, fine....The good ones are made with a process not unlike that detailed in the threads. The rest are chemical like any other flavoured product.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog