• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Luke

Luke

For those interested, I have attached my Guanciale workbook (Excel).

I use the EQ method.

1. Weigh each Jowell and record weight. Measure salt and spices per weight, add to bag and remove air, seal ( I like 2.25% salt, but really you can use 2% to 3.5% depending on your taste and blood pressure)

2. Turn daily in fridge for desired time

3. Remove from bag, wash in white wine, removing spices and brine, then reapply your prefered dry spice mix - i normally use pepper and chilli, sometimes fennel and bay leaf (this is not recorded on my workbook)

4. Hang to cure in cellar or garage in winter, or if temps and humidity not suitable, cure in umai charcuterie bag on bottom shelf of fridge. 

5. Aim for 25% moisture loss, about 35 days for me.

Guanciale Worksheet 050621.xlsx

Luke

Luke

For those interested, I have attached my Guanciale workbook (Excel).

I use the EQ method.

1. Weigh each Jowell and record weight. Measure salt and spices per weight, add to bag and remove air, seal ( I like 2.25% salt, but really you can use 2% to 3.5% depending on your taste and blood pressure)

2. Turn daily in fridge for desired time

3. Remove from bag, wash in white wine, removing spices and brine, then reapply your prefered dry spice mix - i normally use pepper and chilli, sometimes fennel and bay leaf (this is not recorded on my workbook)

4. Hang to cure in cellar or garage in winter, or if temps and humidity not suitable, cure in umai charcuterie bag. 

5. Aim for 25% moisture loss, about 35 days for me.

Guanciale Worksheet 050621.xlsx