• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

More babies, young kids going hungry in US

you could have keller cooking for the whole trailer park for the rest of his life and the park would still have the same number of belligerant wife beating racists.

sigh. Site managers, feel free to edit for off-topic comments and apologies if so.

Every family Thanksgiving dinner of my life has at my aunt's home in a trailer park. Lots of delicious and nutritious food and not a wife beater or racist in sight. We do, however, argue about which is best, dark vs. light meat, and who ate the most pie last year.

If we could find a way to constructively discuss this issue here at home, perhaps focusing on some of the positive ways in which issues of hunger and nutrition are being addressed. I'm a huge fan of programs like Alice Water's "school garden project" which ties connects kids and their school lunch programs to community gardening, getting kids to eat fresh vs. fast food by getting them excited about helping to produce it. I have a plot in an urban community garden, and I see kids argue about who gets to pick the carrots and radishes. These plots are also very popular with recent immigrant families, who can grow native vegetables that are hard to find in local grocery stores--an affordable way to help feed a family.

Likewise, many of the vendors at my local farmers markets accept WIC vouchers or food stamps. Better than a grocery store and less expensive too. I can afford to shop at Whole Foods but even I refuse to pay their prices for some things. A healthy diet can be expensive!

Every family Thanksgiving dinner of my life has at my aunt's home in a trailer park. Lots of delicious and nutritious food and not a wife beater or racist in sight.  We do, however, argue about which is best, dark vs. light meat, and who ate the most pie last year.

sorry. didn't mean to offend. i was referring to my trailer park...

I wouldn't argue that some of the assistance ends up the way you describe. However in an expensive city like Los Angeles with ever increasing rents it is increasingly difficult for lower income working parents with say two children to make ends meet.

It's very much the same way for the San Francisco Bay area. There is an increasing number of lower middle class families who are barely squeaking by, and since they make too much for government aid, end up relying on food pantries.

There are many poor neighborhoods that have no easily accessible grocery store. This can be a real problem for families who have no car. Cab and bus fare can really eat a hole in your budget.

Cheryl