• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dallas Dining Suggestions

rasputin1072

Agreed with bmdaniel, I think it's a perfectly suitable steakhouse.

American Airlines magazine said it was the best place to get a drink in Dallas, for what that's worth - I can name a few that I prefer, if you're interested.

How long are you here? How many meals out?

Edited to take out unnecessary commentary and edit some poor, poor grammar.

Edited by Rico (log)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mr Kilgore

Do you have any new suggestions for the Plano or Northern suburbs? We are back in town and are always looking for fun new places.

Thanks!

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Any new info on this topic?  I'll be in Dallas for the first 2 weeks in June.  Will be working, so can't take any day trips to Austin, etc.  Will eat anything (huitlacoche, tripe, etc.).  Prefer holes-in-the-wall!  Thanks in advance.

I live in Oklahoma but travel to Dallas at least twice yearly to eat and shop. There are still lots of restaurants on my "to try " list, but of those I have tried my favorites are:

Abacus - get the tasting menu with the upgraded wine pairings

Sushi Sake - the salmon sashimi is amazing, uni sushi and grilled hamachi collar also very good

Meddlesome Moth - extensive beer selection; the mussels in coconut broth were delicious

Kalachandjis - great vegetarian lunch buffet, wonderful setting

Royal China - get handmade noodles and dumplings

Tei-An - can't remember what it is called but the pieces of Kobe cooked on a hot rock are TDF, expense account would be helpful

Mughlai - the best Indian lunch buffet I have ever had; if you go for dinner or don't like buffets get murgh malai kebab, kadhai paneer, or dal makhani; have a Kingfisher with your meal

Alounak - the lamb shish kabob was great and I would go back just to have it again, the falafel was not good

First Emperor Barbecue - get the green beans with pork and the scallion pancakes, this is the only place on my list that approaches "hole-in-the-wall"

If you have access to a kitchen or are driving and can shop for things to take home get lamb rib chops at Sara's Market.

Jimmy's is another great place to shop and the sandwiches from the deli are really good (try the tuna).

• 1 year later...

When you live in Oklahoma, Dallas is a food mecca.

This trip I ate at:

Blue Sushi Sake Grill on Walnut Hill Lane

I had the good fortune to show up during happy hour and took full advantage!

The calamari was tender. I found it somewhat under seasoned and there was no salt on the table. I used soy sauce instead but would have preferred salt. I had one order of each of the speciality nigiri: blue balls - oddly sweet but still quite tasty; cherry bomb - good but not great; itchy salmon - excellant, I ordered a second helping; zuke maguro - good but not great. The service was good and I enjoyed sitting on the patio.

Pera Turkish Kitchen on Preston Rd.

I had the Adana, one of their "signature " dishes. It is well-seasoned grilled ground lamb. I found it delicious and also really enjoyed the cabbage salad served on the side. The baklava was also very good. Service was very good.

Mesomaya

The chicharrones appetizer was the best dish of the trip. I don't typically go back to a restaurant, preferring to try new places, but I will definitely go back for these. Very good service in spite of a crowd.

Oso on Preston is apparently closed. The website and recorded phone message both say they open at 5 so I was frustrated to find the door locked at 5:20, especially given the traffic I endured to get there. Fortunately, Mesomaya was right across the street.

• 11 months later...

Have you ever eaten at Mesa?  It is on E Jefferson.  Very close to the Texas theater where Lee Harvey Oswald went to after shooting President Kennedy.  The couple who own it are from Vera Cruz,  Order seafood and anything with Mole.  Oh, and don't miss the mojitos.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

cy, have you ever eaten at Tei An?  Order the omakasa and sit back and enjoy every course.  I do have another little place that I like but it is nothing fancy.  I'll be passing through friday before memorial day;  Are you there then?  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Larry, thanks for the recommendations. I'll be there 6/5 thru 6/8. I have eaten at Tei An and it was very good. Mesa looks good but I see it's not open for lunch. I'm traveling by myself and am not sure about that neighborhood at night. What is the other little place?