• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dallas Dining Suggestions

rasputin1072

Richard thank you for the recommendations, we're honestly only planning on 2-3 meals the entire week we're there, because we'll be staying with family and my girlfriends mom is an awesome cook. Far as type of cuisine goes, I'd like to eat some good mexican food, definitely some great bbq and a good japanese restaurant. Price range roughly no more than $40-$60 per person. Thanks again

Sometimes visitors are not really aware of the distances here. Austin is probably not practical, unless you have 2 - 3 days and you are not trying to get only one meal (barbecue) into the trip. You could pack sandwiches, start at 5 am and get back at 2 am the next day, I guess, but not my idea of fun. You'll need to get out of Austin to find the best stuff.

Check out the post Jeff mentioned above for some barbecue suggestions within a couple of hours drive. I would focus on the top 3 - 5 or so on their list. Not that I have tried them, but I have tried some of those lower down that they recommend...but I can't.

If you do barbecue and good Mexican like Mia's (but not high end), you'll spend so little that you can easily do Tei-An if you stay away from the high-price sake.

Thanks for all the great info everyone, we do plan on going to Austin for 2-3 days, but just not a 100% sure, we'll have to see when we get there. But I definitely would like to check out Tei-an or Tei Tei and mia's the menu looks good, jsmeeker I'll have to check out that mag about the bbq. Once again Thanks everyone for your input.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"

Oscar Wilde

I'm really not familiar with good dining options up in the McKinney area, sorry to say.

You didn't miss them -- there aren't any, pretty much. For an area of 100k+ high-income people the place is remarkably barren.

However, you might be able to try:

Gregory's just moved there last week from Plano. Plano's loss as this chef-driven French/New American bistro serves carefully prepared locally sourced food. Their web site describes them as "permanently closed". This conflicts with the note on the door of the closed Plano location and I don't know the truth of the matter.

For Tex Mex Chitos is in Plano but just a couple of exits down the freeway at Legacy (see map). Unpretentious family-run Mexican with homemade salsa and great huaraches for those who like to eat sandals. BYOB.

Don't waste your time going to Mia's. It's 30+ miles each way for a mediocre place resting on its laurels that Oak Lawn locals won't walk down the street for.

Almost opposite Chito's is Little Szechuan a good Szechuan restaurant. Try the tongue. BYOB but the food is HOT!

This is just based on a quick visit to Dallas back in 2004, but the Cabrito at El Ranchito was spectacular. If it hasn't changed too much (the description at the time was kitschy which accounted for the mariachi music, but the food was anything but) this is worth the trip.

That Gregory's looks pretty decent for french food in Texas, I might have to check it out when I go in April. I'm excited to try out Tei-Tei robata grill, that looks amazing and right up my ally. Thanks for all the replies, keep them comming.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"

Oscar Wilde

• 8 months later...

Bump... LOML and I will be in Plano for Thanksgiving. Any new suggestions out there?

Thanks!

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

We are going to Dallas to visit family and will have one night out with some friends sans kiddos. My aunt, who lives in Dallas has suggested Hibiscus. I trust her, she sent us to Abacus in the past, but I wanted to hear what my fellow egulleters had to say - both opinions on Hibiscus and other suggestions.

I think there are much more interesting places you could go than Hibiscus, which is fine but essentially a steak place.

Depending on what you like- Lucia, Nonna, Tei An, Stephen Pyles, Samar, Charlie Palmer, or Smoke would all be better choices, for me at least.

If you want Lucia, call now for a reservation. I hear it's great, but I only hear that, since I'm on the wait list for Tuesday, April 12 ... a weekend reservation might be a long shot.

But then again, I'm no one important.

I think there are much more interesting places you could go than Hibiscus, which is fine but essentially a steak place.

Depending on what you like- Lucia, Nonna, Tei An, Stephen Pyles, Samar, Charlie Palmer, or Smoke would all be better choices, for me at least.

Thank you I will take them all into consideration. After looking at the menu for Hibiscus, that was my thought. DOn't get me wrong, I love a good steak, but I can cook them at home.

Now off to Google...

Dinner on Saturday. Smoke looks interesting. The others look good, Stephen Pyles and Palmer have been on my short list on previous Dallas trips. I do not think Lucia, Tei An, and Samar are what I am looking for. They all look good, but I am visiting Texas and want something more local than Italian, India, or Sushi.

One other issue, is that I am not sure what a comfortable cost point is for the folks we are going with. It is an old friend of my wife and I have never met these folks.

One other issue, is that I am not sure what a comfortable cost point is for the folks we are going with. It is an old friend of my wife and I have never met these folks.

This exact issue is a troublesome one for Dallas (and the subject of a lot of snarky debate among dallas food bloggers). Basically, the problem is, Dallas doesn't do any "Texas" stuff well; for the most part (and maybe changing) the Barbecue and Tex-Mex just aren't that great. Maybe the one exception is Babe's for fried chicken and CFS.

A lot of the best restaurants (Lucia, Nonna, formerly York Street) are basically using local ingredients but not in a Texas representative style. It's always hard to know what to suggest for people because it's either great adapted regional Italian or mediocre something else.

Based on your description, probably Smoke, Stephan Pyle, or Fearings are the best bet (with Smoke being a good deal more casual than the other two).

Based on my previous Dallas trips, I am fully aware of the lack of good Tex-Mex and Que. We usually wind up at Chuy's with the kids.

Both Lucia and Nonna look good. I am not totally against Italian. Maybe I will have my DW send a short list to her friend to see what they would like.

I am leaning toward Smoke though - casual , fun and good food.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have not been to Lucia (although I have eaten David Uygur's food at Lola and at other events); in addition to it being hard to get into, my wife and I had a baby right when it opened.

I think Smoke is a good choice; Tim Byres has been getting a lot of recognition lately (Food and Wine best new chef Southwest, had one of food and wine's top 10 dishes of 2010 I think) and they do good food. Really nice brunch as well saturday and sunday.

Based on my previous Dallas trips, I am fully aware of the lack of good Tex-Mex and Que. We usually wind up at Chuy's with the kids.

Both Lucia and Nonna look good. I am not totally against Italian. Maybe I will have my DW send a short list to her friend to see what they would like.

I am leaning toward Smoke though - casual , fun and good food.

Things are changing on the BBQ front in Dallas. Really, they are.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 3 weeks later...

More info. Leaving in 2 days. Still have not picked a place. GRRRRR. Turns out the friend of DW lives in Murphy. We were all leaning toward smoke then I realized how far of a drive it would be for them and I felt bad. So we have now been going back and forth. THey say they do not mind driving but have since pitched Urban Crust, Asian Mint, and La Duni. Thoughts? Based on menu I am leaning toward La Duni.

Been to Urban Crust once. It was pertty good. But if you want pizza, I think Cane Rosso in Deep Ellum is the place to go. I like La Duni a lot, but that has a lot to do with their desserts. Really awesome cakes. Especially the quattro leches cake. It's killer. Not familiar with Whiskey Cake, so can't comment on that.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 5 months later...

And bump again....I'm in Dallas this weekend. A group of us have reservations at Al Biernat's. I wasn't famliar with it, googled, looked at the menu, and it looks fabulous. Comments? Suggestions? Reviews?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com