• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dallas Dining Suggestions

rasputin1072

I think I'll hit Fireside Pies here in Grapevine tonight, and I may check out Angelo's BBQ in Ft. Worth for dinner tomorrow (unless there is another BBQ place I ought to check out instead). I could use a lunch suggestion for tomorrow: any other voices in favor of Urban Taco?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 7 months later...

My family and I are going to be in Dallas in mid Feb. and I am looking for one high end night (sans kids), some good Tex-Mex and BBQ.

We have been to Abacus and had a great meal, but would like to try someplace else. Is Fearings worth going or are there better suggestions. Palmer's? Lola? Though my wife and I are certainly carnivores, steak houses do not appeal to me as I regularly cook prime and even dry aged beef at home.

I have read that Dallas BBQ is not that great, especially when compared to other areas of the state, but it has to be better than I can get readily in New Orleans.

As for Tex-Mex, Mia's?

My family and I are going to be in Dallas in mid Feb. and I am looking for one high end night (sans kids), some good Tex-Mex and BBQ.

We have been to Abacus and had a great meal, but would like to try someplace else. Is Fearings worth going or are there better suggestions. Palmer's? Lola? Though my wife and I are certainly carnivores, steak houses do not appeal to me as I regularly cook prime and even dry aged beef at home.

I have read that Dallas BBQ is not that great, especially when compared to other areas of the state, but it has to be better than I can get readily in New Orleans.

As for Tex-Mex, Mia's?

For high-end, I think it's hard to miss with Charlie Palmer, but something a bit more local might be York Street or Stephen Pyle's. I have never been blown away by Fearing's, especially for the price. Stephen Pyle's new Mediterranean small plates spot Samar is good too, but more casual. We had my wife's b-day dinner at Wolfgang Puck's new restaurant, Five Sixty, at the top of reunion tower last night. The food is very good (maybe not as good as Abacus, York Street, or Pyles, but very good) and the view/experience is probably the most fun in Dallas. I thought service was a bit hit or miss though. Lola is unfortunately defunct. The new chef at the Mansion (Bruno Davaillon from Ducasse's Michelin Starred Mix in Vegas) seems to be getting good initial reviews, but I haven't been.

Tex-mex there are a lot of good options. I'd probably go to Mia's or Avila's myself, or Cafe San Miguel for more of a mex-mex meal.

The BBQ is just thoroughly mediocre. If I was going to go anywhere, it'd either be baby back shak or Baker's ribs, but I'd just as soon have another tex-mex meal. Smoke gets amazingly mixed reviews, but is a new upscale barbecue restaurant. My one visit was pretty mixed as well, but I have seen word that it's evening out.

Good suggestions. I very much like York Street and would add Tei-An for Japanese in the Arts District. Just order one of the two Chef's Table options and let them feed you.

Also Manny's Alta Cocina in Ft. Worth, based on reviews and reports here, though I have not been.

I really suggest forgetting barbecue. You have so many better, more interesting options.

Good suggestions. I very much like York Street and would add Tei-An for Japanese in the Arts District. Just order one of the two Chef's Table options and let them feed you.

Also Manny's Alta Cocina in Ft. Worth, based on reviews and reports here, though I have not been.

I really suggest forgetting barbecue. You have so many better, more interesting options.

I forgot about Tei-An; I second this if you are interested in Japanese food (and having a chance to taste excellent, handmade soba).

That is what I assumed on the BBQ. Upscale Que does not entice me at all. I want a joint on the side of the road somewhere.

I am sure there will be plenty of tex mex to be had for lunch with the fam. I read that Lola was closed right after I posted - that is unfortunate. York Street or Stephen Pyle's sound like the right direction.

Thanks.

Charlie Palmer is great. Just had a very nice meal there the weekend before Christmas. However, Charlie Palmer isn't a Dallas chef. But Dean Fearing is, and I've had two very good meals at Fearing's. (one dinner, one lunch). Dean is a long time Dallas chef, so dining there is a good way to see how Dallasites dine. Another suggestion for a local place is, well, Local. Located in Deep Ellum Really nice.

I still like Mia's brisket tacos. Good stuff. BBQ? In Dallas? Best way to good BBQ in Dallas is Southwest Airlines to Austin. Then a rental car and on to 183 south to Lockhart. :)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Best way to good BBQ in Dallas is Southwest Airlines to Austin. Then a rental car and on to 183 south to Lockhart. :)

That is what I figured. I get to Austin and Houston often enough to skip BBQ in Dallas.

Currently I am leaning toward Stephen Pyle's, would you choose Local over SP?

Best way to good BBQ in Dallas is Southwest Airlines to Austin. Then a rental car and on to 183 south to Lockhart. :)

That is what I figured. I get to Austin and Houston often enough to skip BBQ in Dallas.

I wouldn't - it's the kind of place I wish I liked more than I do. Too many misses. I might choose York Street over it though, unless I had a Southwestern preference.

I've never been to Stephen Pyles. But he too is a long time Dallas chef and I usually hear good things about the place, so I would certainly consider it.

For what it is worth, here is my take. Currently, the most consistent and best gourmet food in town is Charlie Palmer's. There is a little western flare here (mostly in the desert offerings), but not much. If you are looking for "Texas" or "Southwestern" takes on cuisine then you should look to Pyles and Fearings. I think Pyles is a notch above Fearings, but many people disagree. My main problem with Fearings is I feel that things are taken too far down a "Southwetern" path just to say it is Southwestern or New Texas cuisine. I think Pyles shows a greater restraint, but the idea still shows through as an inspiration for the food. I also agree that York Street is a good spot if you are looking for a good solid meal. Note that it is small and has its occassional misses, but overall, we have been generally very happy with the meals served there.

I agree that I would skip BBQ in Dallas. Angelo's in Fort Worth has decent ribs, but you have to get to central Texas to get really good BBQ. It is a shame that this is true, but no one has stepped up yet.

• 2 weeks later...

No love for Craft? That place is quietly humming along, turning out some of the best food in town, IMO.

But you can't go wrong with any of the above suggestions. Don't know if Nonna has been mentioned, but I'd add it to the list.

Welcome to Dallas! I've only been here a few years and have formerly been spoiled by many years of great eating in Chicago. I'm not willing to say the BBQ is great here compared to what I've eaten on roadtrips further south, but I think the original Sonny Bryans on Inwood is a fun place to grab lunch and bring kids. The tiny shack, old wooden desks and decent ribs remind you that you're somewhere else. Around the corner is the less ambient but very good Mike Anderson's with solid brisket and ribs and buffet dishes of sides and good fried Okra. These are both near the hospital so only worth a stop if you're cruising in the car but not far from Hilton Anatole.

We ate at Pyles for our anniversary and I was very underwhelmed. A few dishes were fun but straight out of Thomas Keller's cookbook. When I tried to applaude the Keller compliment the waiter insisted that it was all Pyles invention. I didn't find much inventive at all. The "ceviche with citrus and popcorn" was just shrimp ceviche with a small side bowl that had about 10pieces of plain popcorn. The taste combo was interesting, but the description implied complexity that was lacking. We had very odd, pompous service that night but that might have been one person. Still, the menu itself had some solid cooking, some weak execution and nothing very innovative at prices nearing 100pp for food I'd expect a LOT more creativity and skill.

I've hear good things about Local and would love to hear more from the folks who dined there.

We had a tasting menu at Abbacus with the chef as guests of friends and some dishes were stellar but many were off and again I felt that aside from very modern stackings, they were mostly as complex as bistro food.

I think the most exciting unusual things in Dallas to eat are in the ethnic neighborhoods. I LOVE INO (http://www.dallasobserver.com/locations/ino-japanese-bistro-4670) which is about 20mins from the city and has the ambience of an office in a strip mall (which it basically is). My husband found it for my first birthday in town by searching for good udon on anime blogs (see why I love him!). The menu is full of foods I've never tried despite a few visits to Japan. It's like Japanese tapas. The Chawan mushi is perfect.

twisted root is a fun hotdog stand for the kids with good grub and you can park there and take the dart to fair park if you want to hit museums or events.

Chaat house in Irving is on the way from the airport and we always stop there for legit Indian vegetarian street food.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to Texas in April and I'm wondering where to eat? I want to know what is your favorite Mexican/tex-mex, Japanese/Asian restaurants that you would recomend for a foodie? Thanks in advance!

Chefb

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"

Oscar Wilde

I'll be there for a week. I'll be staying in a town called Mckinney which is 45 min north of Dallas. We do plan on trying to make it out to Austin if we have time, but Dallas for sure.

Oscar Wilde

Since it sounds like you are mostly in DFW, I'd definitely recommend Tei An for a spectacular Japanese experience. Tex-Mex you'll hear a lot of different opinions - in Dallas, I prefer Avila's and Mia's (and Cafe San Miguel for Mex-Mex).

For BBQ, best bet is if you go to Austin. If so, stop at Louie Muller's in Taylor on the way down, or go south to Lockhart to any of the main places there.

I wish I had some better McKinney recommendations - don't know the area very well.

I also can recommend Tei-An. Call ahead and ask them to do the Chef's Table for you. There are two versions at $50 and $80. We did the $50 version and everyone felt it was not only a great meal, but also plenty of food.

For high end Mexican, it may be worth the drive to Ft. Worth to Lanny's Alta Cocina Mexicana. Haven't been there, but it's high on my to-do list.

If you have two or three days, the barbecue trail through the Hill Country is a great thing to do, but this is not a day trip from McKinney. At least not for most of us.

If you firm things up a bit and can give us an idea of how many meals in what price range/type of food/in what geographic area, we can probably be of some additional assistance.

Richard thank you for the recommendations, we're honestly only planning on 2-3 meals the entire week we're there, because we'll be staying with family and my girlfriends mom is an awesome cook. Far as type of cuisine goes, I'd like to eat some good mexican food, definitely some great bbq and a good japanese restaurant. Price range roughly no more than $40-$60 per person. Thanks again

Oscar Wilde

Also in regards to my last reply for geographical area, we'll mostly be in Mckinney, TX which is 45min north of Dallas, but we plan on going to Dallas and possibly Austin.

Oscar Wilde

I'm really not familiar with good dining options up in the McKinney area, sorry to say.

For BBQ, check out the BBQ in DFW area topic. At the very end, I have added a post that links to a new D Magazine article that names 16 top places in the greater DFW area. I haven't had a chance to try any of the places, except one of them. ( a place I had been to well before the list came out)

For Tex-Mex, I still like Mia's and the brisket tacos. They are great. Its not in the McKinney area, but if you are going to venture into Dallas, you should consider it. They are opened for lunch, too.