• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dallas Dining Suggestions

rasputin1072

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I'm pretty sure you would be able to put together a nice meal at the bar at Abacus. The menu has lots of "small plates" in addition to the "big plates" (entrees). Sushi, too. They do a nice job with fish there. Which is great for a place in Dallas, IMHO.

Craft? I went shortly after it opened last year. had a nice meal. Was just there a few weeks a go. Food was still good (though not quite as good as the first trip) and service was good. But the place was DEAD. Also, there is no bar at the restaurant. There is a bar attached to the lobby of the hotel, but it's not the same atmosphere as the restaurant, and I am not sure if the same menu for food is offered (but getting a table for one should be a non-issue).

Of the two, I would pick Abacus.

Dallas has lots of steak joints, so if you like those, you are in luck. I would suggest Nick and Sam's

If you want a good, can't miss Tex-Mex, go to Mia's and get the brisket tacos. :)

Thanks for the additional info...

A few further questions, and for information purposes I will be at the Adams Mark in downtown.

I assume most of these places are within a short cab ride distance? For the dinners, I am not sure I am going to want to drive given I would like to have a glass of wine or two.

How does SP compare with Craft and Abacus? How do Lola and York Street fit in there?

I am thinking of probably one nice dinner and one more casual dinner, any suggestions for the more casual (and less expensive dinner)? Not too picky about type of food, price range maybe under $40? Would Sonny Bryans be a good choice? I know a lot of times BBQ places aren't a good choice for dinner because they run out/the meat suffers...

Can you tell me a little bit more about Mia's?

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

I haven't been to Stephen Pyles, but I would guess it would compare more to Abacus than craft, based soley on looking at the menu for SP and having been to Craft twice.

Craft has very simply prepared food. There really aren't elaborate, composed dishes with lots of components. If you like a more traditional composed dish, I think you may want to shy away from Craft and got to a place like Abacus. Personally, I think Craft woould work best with a group of 4-6 people who really like food.

Since you are staying downtown and don't want to drive, SP has the advantage of being located in the central downtown core of the city. So, it's not far from your hotel. Craft is at the W Hotel, next to the American Airlines Center (sports arena). It's just outside the edge of what is usually considered downtown, but it's not that far either.

Abacus is further north, in the Knox-Henderson area.. Just a few miles, though. So, really, not bad.

I don't think the original Sonny Bryan's is open for dinner. And yes, it's the type of place that will run out of meat before closing time.

Mia's is a basic, local Tex-Mex place. But it's a Dallas institution and the brisket tacos are to die for. An order of them is less than $10. Get a starter, the tacos, a beer or two, and you are out of there for well under $40. :)

can't comment on York Street or Lola, as I haven't diner there. Off the op of my head, I can't recall where Lola is. But York Street is east of downtown a few miles. I believe York Street is what they like to call "chef driven".

http://www.guidelive.com/portal/page?_page...L&item_id=14178

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Bumping this up in anticipation of a trip to Dallas in early November. I'm eager to try places that a conventioneer can reach without a car (I'll take public transit if need be and it exists) and that typify Dallas food for a New Englander: Tex-Mex, brisket, links, whatever you think. Low- to midrange prices -- and I'll eat anything. Thanks.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Bumping this up in anticipation of a trip to Dallas in early November. I'm eager to try places that a conventioneer can reach without a car (I'll take public transit if need be and it exists) and that typify Dallas food for a New Englander: Tex-Mex, brisket, links, whatever you think. Low- to midrange prices -- and I'll eat anything. Thanks.

Without a car? HA!! Good luck..

Seriously, though.. What part of town will you be in? You say you are a coventioneer. Does that mean the big convention center in downtown?

No car, no food, Chris. Public transportation is limiting unless you consider a taxi to be public. But we will not let you starve.

My take on this is that there are better than good, but not great places for Texas barbecue here, and many sub-good ones. The closest to down town probably is in the SMU area. My suggestion would be to focus on Tex-Mex, Mex-Tex and Mexican, as well as some from other Central and South American cuisines. We have a lot of that and a lot that is excellent in the low to mid-price range...as well as a few in the upper. Mexican, Salvadoran, Columbian, Peruvian, Venezuelan.

How many days, what days of the week, and how many meals away from the hotel? Breakfast? Lunch? Dinner?

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this thread. I will have three nights and three days in Dallas/Ft. Worth with car.

What are the hot (and, more importantly, GOOD) places in Dallas?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Dallas and ft. Worth have many, many options. If you can fill us in on what types of restaurants and food you are interested in and a price range, we will be able to be of more help. We have everything from inexpensive taquerias and Tex-Mex to $200 plus per person fine and adventuresome dining. Asian? SE Asian? Indian? Middle Eastern? French? Spanish? Central, South American? Mexican fine dining? Tasting menus? Looking for breakfast, lunch and dinner suggestions?

Dallas and ft. Worth have many, many options. If you can fill us in on what types of restaurants and food you are interested in and a price range, we will be able to be of more help. We have everything from inexpensive taquerias and Tex-Mex to $200 plus per person fine and adventuresome dining. Asian? SE Asian? Indian? Middle Eastern? French? Spanish? Central, South American? Mexican fine dining? Tasting menus? Looking for breakfast, lunch and dinner suggestions?

Context: meeting up with a good friend. Her level of adventure is much less than mine. That being said, my friend will go along with almost anything.

I am open to any cuisine, although I'd rather stick to those restaurants that are "particularly DFW" (i.e. I'm less likely to go to the outpost of Craft or Nobu, unless you all think they are truly superior to anything else in Dallas).

Has anyone heard of La Duni? My friend has suggested that as a brunch on Sunday.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Sunday brunch at La Duni is a great suggestion. I doubt you would ever regret it.

Okay, let me throw out some options and see if you think they should be axed:

Fearing's

Shinsei

Abacus

Stephen Pyle

Craft

Nobu

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Sunday brunch at La Duni is a great suggestion. I doubt you would ever regret it.

Okay, let me throw out some options and see if you think they should be axed:

Fearing's

Shinsei

Abacus

Stephen Pyle

Craft

Nobu

Nothing there that I would axe, but would emphasize some of the local talent: Abacus, Stephen Pyle's and Fearing's. Also consider the Tasting Room at Lola's; if you search this forum there should be quite a bit from the past on the Tasting Room - make reservations early or risk not getting a table.

La Duni is fantastic. Save room for cake. (really, save room for cake). I've only been to the location on McKinney off of Henderson.

If you want to make the trek to Ft. Worth, Lanny's Alta Cocina Mexicana should be worth it. Aurora is supposed to be fantastic. And has the distinction of being the most expensive place in town, supposedly.

Lately, I have been getting lots of emails from the Adolphus hotel with lots of talk about stuff going on at the French Room. I've been there once, a few years ago, and it was really nice. It's a FORMAL place, but I guess there is a new chef there and they want it to be known for a place you can go to to get great food without it being a really special occasion. (just a guess)

Thanks to everyone else on this forum.

I think I've concluded that the following is my best plan of attack:

Dinner: Tasting Room at Lola (note to self, get the salumi as an extra - will they let me do that in the Tasting Room?)

Dinner: Aurora or York Street

Dinner: Lanny's

Lunch: Fearing's

Lunch: ??? (A Saturday in Fort Worth)

Brunch: La Duni (note to self: save room for cake)

Other: Doughmonkey

Any objections, votes, suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Yes to York Street. I should have mentioned it earlier. Sharon Hage is a highly respected chef here and has won a great deal of recognition beyond the DFW area. I attended a food and tea pairing dinner at York Street earlier this year and can recommend a meal there.

No seating at Dough Monkey, but if you have the time you might enjoy picking up a few of their very fine pastries and some coffee and going down the street to the Meadows Museum at SMU, sitting outside on the benches among the sculpture and sipping and tasting.

Lunch in Forth Worth: you might consider the Split Rail for barbecue or the restaurant at the Modern Museum of Forth Worth...food is probably okay, but many consider the architecture worth the visit. Others may have other and better suggestions.

Yes to York Street. I should have mentioned it earlier. Sharon Hage is a highly respected chef here and has won a great deal of recognition beyond the DFW area. I attended a food and tea pairing dinner at York Street earlier this year and can recommend a meal there.

Over Aurora?

By the way, how is Brix in Ft. Worth?

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Over Aurora?

By the way, how is Brix in Ft. Worth?

I have not eaten at Aurora, so I can't make a comparison.

I strongly recommend making some room for Stephen Pyles. Our dinner there a couple months ago was one of the very best we've had in DFW in a very long time. Even if you don't do a full dinner, go for a great housemade cocktail and a sample of one of their ceviches. Plus it's also a very unique style and approach to food that you may not see elsewhere.

I've never had experience with Fearing's food, I think his old haunt the Mansion on Turtle creek has done and exceptional job of crafting a new identity for themselves after he left. The service is the best I've ever experienced (though I haven't had a depth of experience with 4 star places) anywhere. The food is maybe a pace behind service if you order from the menu though there seems to be a noticeable jump in offerings if you do one of their chef's tastings. It is steep, however. They have a bar menu as well that offers different choices from the restaurant (foie gras sliders?!) so that might be a nice candidate for lunch and then a leisurely afternoon on their patio.

ETA: I'd lock up Tasting Room reservations pretty quick. And I'm sure they'd be happy to sub in salumi at your request for one of the apps, or charge a supplemental or whatever. But they are so proud of their salumi I have a hard time believing you won't encounter it at some point in your meal. In fact I've done tasting room once and the main dining room twice and all three meals had a salumi component in one course or another.

Sorry, UE, I know this didn't help your scheduling much to throw those curveballs in there. :wacko:

ETA2: And I just remembered you don't drink, do you? Apologies.

Edited by Kevin72 (log)

• 1 month later...

Took a while to clarify -- sorry for the delay!

I think that I'll be taking my teachers out to dinner on Wednesday night. I'd love to have a Tex, Mex, or any combination place relatively nearby. (Lots of Central American places in RI, but most Mexican is crap and there's no Tex nothing nohow.) We'd be no more than four people and probably flexible in terms of time. Near public transportation (or the convention center itself) would be ideal.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I havent been to this site in a WHILE but

I will say for Mexican Place I cant reccomend this one enough

Urban Taco

Urban Taco

5331 E Mockingbird Lane

Dallas, TX 75206

Phone: 214-823-4723

It is next to the Mockingbird Train station and DART takes you right to it.

Tacos are more expensive than Taco bell, but are 110% worth it.

Meat is flavored all the way through and super delicious. The head chef knows his stuff and makes a simple plate of three tacos a tour of taste through the streets of Mexico.

And freshly made Churros cannot be beat.

The location is great and lots of shops and people watching make it fantastic too.

• 2 months later...