• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Majolica in Phoenixville

nymerical2- don't you think your overreacting just a tad?

if you're in the business you could only be so lucky to have a customer like philadining. i can assure he can most certainly "read for content" as you put it. read his blog. it is well written and very fair to every place he writes about.

can't we all just get along? what happened to egullet? used to be a fun little sandbox where where opinions were respected and debated without so much angst. geeeez.......

Yo, Pensage!

From the free dictionary online:

wizened - lean and wrinkled by shrinkage as from age or illness; "the old woman's shriveled skin"; "he looked shriveled and ill"; "a shrunken old man"; "a lanky scarecrow of a man with withered face and lantern jaws"-W.F.Starkie; "he did well despite his withered arm"; "a wizened little man with frizzy grey hair"

Easy on the wizened stuff! While I take comfort in the "lean" part, I not at all pleased with the "wrinkled, shriveled, shrunken or ill aspects"! If you comprehended how much of my own meats and cheeses I consume, you would never use wizened as an adjective for me.

Next time, please use far more accurate terms such as: handsome, intelligent, muscular, Greek God, male perfection, divine benefactor of all things wholesome and good, or some other low-key, yet descriptive word-smithing.

I know enough to chalk this up as a simple, even if horrendous, error of judgment. However, to prove I'm not at all vengeful, why don't you come out to the farm and we can discuss how much of my products you should buy to make me feel better?

www.hendricksfarmsanddairy.com

Am I the only one to find it strange that someone who is, by their own assertion, not local, and who is an infrequent poster to this site generally, should choose to participate so... let's say emphatically *and* sustainedly in this particular thread?

By the way, what "content" has been missed, and by whom, exactly?

And is it not astonishing happenstance that they should be vehemently supported by another stranger-in-these-parts poster who, shockingly, shares said characteristics, or those that can be ascertained? Who, moreover, has a very similar rhetorical style?

Personally, I find the incident at issue, if it is in fact a publicity stunt, vaguely sad, in a tacky and threadbare, desperate-smelling kind of way.

But their food *is* delicious, even if their mushrooms often look like sweetbreads.

The new menu is up on their website, and it looks good. It's bistro-ish as promised, but as I had hoped, a few familiar favorites seem to have made that transition (like steak frites, and mussels.)

Somewhere in these recent posts it seems to have gotten lost that I've always been a huge fan of this restaurant and have often advocated for them here and in other media. So I wish them the best, and I'm thrilled that they'll still be open in Phoenixville.

I just felt the need to comment that announcing a closing, and then promptly reopening seemed a little cheesey.

Their new website describes the situation this way:

"In direct response to the economic times, Majolica took a short hiatus to reorganize our menu and remodel our space. Still a friendly B.Y.O.B, Majolica is a singular experience unlike anything else, anywhere."

Now THERE'S a straightforward statement.

Can't wait to go.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

• 4 months later...

Been back a few times since they reinvented the menu and a concept a bit. Last night's dinner was proof once again that this is a very very good restaurant, serving delicious food at a reasonable price, making it a top choice in the area.

Opted for the pre-fixe they offer on Wed, Thurs and Sundays and at $25 for 3 courses, it is a real bargain and had the combination I wanted to order anyway.

Amuse - Yellow watermelon w/30yr balsamic vinegar and micro cilantro (no pic)

1st comped course - Raw Oysters from Massachusetts, vibrantly briny and creamy

gallery_21049_162_34665.jpg

Wife's first course - Heirloom Tomato Salad, topped with a tomato sorbet

gallery_21049_162_7490.jpg

My first course - Corn soup w/Crayfish butter and popcorn

gallery_21049_162_14322.jpg

2nd comped course - Buffalo Veal Sweetbreads. The buffalo sauce may seem overpowering at first, but this is all about the texture - who needs buffalo wings when you can enjoy the super creamy goodness once you bite into the crispy outer texture.

gallery_21049_162_19111.jpg

Palate cleanser - Cantaloupe Sorbet w/crispy pancetta and cinnamon oil

gallery_21049_162_27301.jpg

Wife's entree - Steak frites - hanger steak & frites with a generous dab of truffle butter. Perfectly seared to medium rare and topped with fresh flat leaf parsley.

gallery_21049_162_24431.jpg

My entree - House Smoked Chicken, white corn and almonds. This was one of the best smoked chickens I have had in a long time. The skin was nice and crispy, while the meat was succulent with a not too overpowering smokiness.

gallery_21049_162_36471.jpg

Dessert - Pineapple Sorbet, Coconut tapioca, Macadamia nut brittle

gallery_21049_162_33286.jpg

Service was super friendly and attentive.

By 7pm the place was full with patrons who know that meals like this make a mid-week day special. I am just glad that Majolica is not far from me.