• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Harder-to-find rums (expanding my horizons)

I'm relative new to the world of rum, but I have tried most of the

easy-to-find rums from the local store. However, I am wondering if

there is place in DC, Northern VA, or MD that would carry the more

aged, vintage, or harder-to-find rums.

My personal taste tends away from the light rums and more towards the

fuller bodied, very dark rums. Of the ones I've tried, my favorite rums are the Gosling Black Seal 80 and Cruzan Black Strap, and Mount Gay Eclipse (and Appleton White or Cruzan 2-Year Light for my guests that liker light rums). I've a a bottle of Gosling Gold and Appleton Extra to try next. I just finished Lemon Hart & Son "Rhum Demarara Rum". (I still have a little left of the Mount Gay Extra Old.)

Whit Roberts

I'm also looking for a liquor store that recognizes that rum is more than Bacardi and Captian Morgan. In the mean time keep your eye out for Barbancourt 5 star, Barcelo Anejo, Pampero Anniversario and Santa Teresa 1796. All of these rums are coming to your area as well as some good rums from Martinique.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I'm relative new to the world of rum, but I have tried most of the easy-to-find rums from the local store. However, I am wondering if there is place in DC, Northern VA, or MD that would carry the more aged, vintage, or harder-to-find rums.

Whit Roberts

Not sure where in Metro D.C. you are, but most any liquor store should be able to order what you want from their distributor. I'm up here in redneck : ) Carroll County and the local store surprised me by actualy having a bottle of Gosling's Old rum in stock (after I'd ordered it from a different store).

The Rhum Barbancourt 5 Star Ed mentioned is very good, and I've seen it many stores. If you don't see it, I'm sure your store can get it.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

I'm in Montgomery Co., MD, and the State DLC (called ABC in VA and other states) seems have a tight control over the distribution. The local stores do have some of the nicer rums (El Dorado, Coyopa, Appleton, Mount Gay Extra Old, Cruzan Single). Most of what they have are Bacardi, Capt. Morgan, Castillo, etc. I did try Bacardi Black, but I liked it less than Gosling Black Seal.

Whit Roberts

Germantown, MD

<blockquote>Hi Whit, </blockquote>it's good to hear that you're becoming one of us: a rum <b>enthusiast</b>. Rum is such a great spirit to explore, and it's so much more than Bacardi and Coke. </blockquote> <blockquote>Don't misunderstand me, however. I myself enjoy a Cuba Libre from time to time. It's just that rum is like any other drink inasmuch as there are mass-market brands as well as brands which are more interesting. A decade ago, America discovered that there was more to beer than Budweiser, and now we're finding that Bacardi is only part of the rum equation.</blockquote> <blockquote>I've found that states with "state liquor stores" are often surprisingly easy to deal with, because they control both the wholesale and retail parts of distribution. It may be as easy as filling out a special order form. </blockquote> <blockquote>To give you my perspective, I'm an importer ans wholesaler in Arizona. Just this week I completed a request-for-quote from Wyoming's State Liquor apparat. I've had similar requests from the Pacific Northwest. In these cases, a customer walked into the state liquor store and asked for a special order. Maybe Virginia or Mariland are similar. </blockquote> <blockquote>[begin shameless plug] As the humble importer of Traveller's One Barrel Rum, I would recommend that you try my brand. Lots of people love One Barrel, including your's truely [end shameless plug] </blockquote> <blockquote><blockquote>Dan </blockquote></blockquote>

http://www.geocities.com/danimal_57/rum.htm

danimal has made a very good point! If you are looking for a particular rum that isn't sold in your local store, ask the manager to order it. It may not happen but if a couple of people ask for a brand, they will do it and that gets the ball rolling.

The three tier system of alcohol distribution certainly makes it harder for consumers to buy alcohol from importers but if there is a demand, distributors will do what is necessary to make it happen. And as danimal pointed out, control states can be tough but many states will special order if there is a case order and that helps get the ball rolling.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I'm in Montgomery Co., MD, and the State DLC (called ABC in VA and other states) seems have a tight control over the distribution.  The local stores do have some of the nicer rums (El Dorado, Coyopa, Appleton, Mount Gay Extra Old, Cruzan Single).  Most of what they have are Bacardi, Capt. Morgan, Castillo, etc.  I did try Bacardi Black, but I liked it less than Gosling Black Seal. 

Whit Roberts

Germantown, MD

Liquor in Montgomery Co. is actually controlled by the county and not the state. I've read it's the only county in the country to do this. The county liquor stores can order some things for you, but a ride up Rt 27 to Howard or Carroll County, or up 270 to Frederick are many liquor stores who can likely get stuff Mont. Co. may not be able to get.

If you haven't already seen it, the Mont. Co. stores have weekly liquor and wine specials and often have very good deals (link below).

Thanks,

Kevin

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/Apps/DLC...ts_specials.cfm

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

not a big fan of the santa teresa 1796, find it has no real length to it,

surprisingly though their standard santa teresa gran reserva is dirt cheap and one of my favourite sipping rums at the moment.

'the trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass'

If you live anywhere close to Laurel, MD, Corridor Wine is near the intersection of 198 and I95. They have St James Ambre and Extra Old Rhums. I have tried both and wasn't super impressed, but thought I would mention in case you are interested.

• 1 month later...

We are lucky in London to have a store in the heart of the west end, in Old compton st Soho, where you can choose from dozens of unusual brands of vodka, rum and others. But they really do have the pick of the rums; Barbancourt, Ron Zacapa plus obscure brands such as Les trois riviers.

One of my favourites is Rhum J.M from Macouba, Martinique, especially their vintage.

Also Zacapa centenario 23 years old is an incredible rhum, of course nothing like an old Clement.

It seems we have the same sort of taste. You wil probably like Demerara as well.

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

I'm also looking for a liquor store that recognizes that rum is more than Bacardi and Captian Morgan. In the mean time keep your eye out for Barbancourt 5 star, Barcelo Anejo, Pampero Anniversario and Santa Teresa 1796. All of these rums are coming to your area as well as some good rums from Martinique.

One place I've found many of my favorite rums is at: www.hitimewine.net

Check them out. With the exception of Admiral Rodney, English Harbour and Havana Club they seem to have most of the rest.... :smile:

BTW: This is my first post/reply as I am a new member.