• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sparkling Shiraz

Badiane

Okay, I'm not a wine person, so I'm not even going to pretend I know what I am talking about, but I would like to get ahold of some sparkling Shiraz for a party I am having. Of course the liquor outlet here only sells either Baby Duck, the best of Quails Gate and the odd bottle of Calona Red, so a trip to the city will be in order.

Can someone tell me where I might find a sparkling Shiraz, and perhaps recommend a not over the top price wise type to try out?

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

In the late '90s, the E & E Black Pepper Shiraz was makin' the rounds.  I haven't seen it in a while but you may want to follow it up...

k

Certainly endorse that recommendation. This was the first sparkling shiraz I tried. It was recommended to me by Dave Osbaldiston at the Richmond Hills wine store in south-western Calgary.

I have not been to the store in years but at the time it was reputed to have the best selection of Australian wines in the country. I was told the Ambassador from "Oz" dropped in when visiting C-Town.

Dave, who used to live in Australia and worked at the Best's/Great Western winery recommended it to me as a "sparkling wine to go with a steak". I have a couple bottles of the '91 vintage left. It is terrific. It pours out purple and foamy and you intinctively think, "Baby Duck" only to taste it and low and behold it is a "serious" wine with all that leather, coffee, and various other notes. Brilliant with barbequed ribs!

The Knapstein [sp?] "Chainsaw" bottling of sparkling shiraz is also quite good.

If you are looking for sparkling Shiraz try the private wine shops (Liberty or Marquis). I'm a big fan of the Fox Creek Sparkling Shiraz it is drier and more concentrated than most available in the BCLDB. Serve them chilled and paired up with anyting on the "barbie". I've been a big fan for these vinous gems for a number of years.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

At the risk of offending our new Aussie friend just above, I don't have a recommendation, but I do have a prediction; You'll not rush out to buy a second bottle of sparkling shiraz.

Keith! have you ever tried a really good bottle of sparkling Shiraz? These wines can be amazing and so culturally and vinously different from anything else produced in the wine world. Try a few more... I've been in this business for a long time and don't throw stones at anything different. Fire up the bbq and I'll bring over a bottle :biggrin:

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG