• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Right Now

If you were craving a really fresh meal, ie. where you would believe the chef actually went into the garden this morning, where would you go right now? Beyond the places that ensure evrything is 'freshest quality no.1 ingredients blahblah'.

I'm looking for a restaurant to go to in the next few days and my criteria is freshness (in Vancouver). I know it is only june but there is still plenty growing. Recommendations? Money is secured for one night only (within reason).

And as a side/related question...to those who regularly grow their own food, which restaurants consistently satisfy?

thank you,

3WC

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

If you were craving a really fresh meal, ie. where you would believe the chef actually went into the garden this morning, where would you go right now? Beyond the places that ensure evrything is 'freshest quality no.1 ingredients blahblah'.

I'm looking for a restaurant to go to in the next few days and my criteria is freshness (in Vancouver). I know it is only june but there is still plenty growing. Recommendations?  Money is secured for one night only (within reason). 

And as a side/related question...to those who regularly grow their own food, which restaurants consistently satisfy?

thank you,

3WC

forgive my ignorance here but , correct me if im wrong you are trying to find a restaurant that serves fresh food ? the freshest ?

is this `80`s hip hop speak ?

Or is it freshest as opposed to stalest ? or even rottenest ? the least decaying menu ?

Or not frozen / dried / canned / powdered ?

you are a funny spice .

and i`m very intrigued now , honestly i am .

tt

^ Now, now TFA, you are being purposely difficult aren't you? :biggrin:

3WC makes it clear what he is looking for in his post here:

...would believe the chef actually went into the garden this morning,...
here:
I know it is only june but there is still plenty growing
and here:
...to those who regularly grow their own food, which restaurants consistently satisfy?

He's obviously looking for a restaurant that is using "fresh" from the garden ingredients that are in-season right now.

As to recommendations, while I have yet to eat dinner at Aphrodite's Organic Cafe, their direct link to organic produce may satisfy your quest 3WC. Also Bishop's, if I am not mistaken, use only/mostly seasonal produce as well.

P.S. just found this thread which may be of interest (even though it was started in April) as well: Vancouver restaurants, seeking fresh, local, seasonal...

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

honestly 3wc, that's a tough one.

Aphrodite's does come to mind. Some of their food is well handled and their produce are and taste fresh.

At the peak of summer, places like Blue Water and West use a lot of local organic produce, and that translates onto the plate.

Unfortunately to my knowledge, no ethnic restaurant here is ingredient driven.

Maybe you'll have to ferry your ass across to the island to witness effort & pride at serving local ingredients!

Eddy M., Chef & Owner

Se.ed Artisan Foods, Vancouver BC

Follow Se.ed's growth at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fromseedtofood/

• 4 weeks later...
If you were craving a really fresh meal, ie. where you would believe the chef actually went into the garden this morning, where would you go right now?

yeah, it is pretentious to quote myself... but it is July now, any new recommendations?

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

besides a restaurant, i dream of a vancouver grocery store that only sold local products. seasonal produce, cheese, meats, jams, everything BC. there would have to be a non-local section for essentials like olive oil and such. could it work? anyone seen a store like that in their travels?

a subtopic of this could be "which chef's have you seen shopping at the farmers markets?"

I know Aurora does.

I saw Allan from Aphrodite last week buying fruit for his pies.

Alistair Durie

Elysian Coffee

For REALLY fresh, how about a meal from the Outstanding in the Field organization? They'll be at the farm out at UBC on August 14th (DETAILS HERE) ... and David Hawksworth is cooking. He mentioned something about some Saskatchewan Morrels that had arrived today ... called them Prairie Truffles :shock: Hopefully those will see their way onto the plate on the 14th.

A.

I just got back from a guided tour of UBC farm, and Gavin mentioned that Provence's w10th location has a special farm menu in August based around ingredients they pick up at the UBC farm. He also says that the farm provides Sage Bistro with some of their produce. I haven't eaten at Sage, but am curious to know if anyone's been there recently.

Zuke

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West