• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brewpubs in Parts of California, Nevada, & Arizona

Susan in FL

I might be asking the impossible. Later this month I'm flying west to California with one of my sons, where we will visit my other son, and rent a car and go on a roadtrip. This isn't my usual travel style... no upscale stops this time, mostly roadfood. I am thinking that brewpubs would qualify, though, as they are more often affordably priced than other types of restaurants I enjoy. And of course I love beer.

Can you tell me about any brewpubs that won't be too far off our path? Please keep in mind that I've never been in CA, so I don't know what to picture in my mind about this itinerary. My son planned this. This is our tentative route: Start at LAX (but I don't want to spend too much time in the horrible city traffic I've heard so much about); Venice Beach/Santa Monica; up Route 1, Malibu; continue on Route 1 to Salinas and/or San Jose; east to Yosemite National Park; Lemoore, where my son is stationed; Death Valley; Las Vegas; Utah/Zion National Park; Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, and Arches National Parks; Grand Canyon; Interstate 40 and some others to San Diego; probably a couple days in the San Diego area, and then back to LA to fly home.

Thank you for any suggestions of how to include beer in this old woman's "Roadtrip With 20-somethings."

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

If you haven't already done so, I would check the Directory at Beeradvocate.com

It is filled with recommendations on brewpubs.

Will do, and of course Pubcrawler. :smile: Meanwhile, if there are any personal recommendations from eG-ers, I'll surely appreciate it.

Thanks, Brent.

Check the beer tours at Ratebeer.com:

San Diego

Orange County (south of L.A.)

Los Angeles

Las Vegas

Main Places Page

From experience I can tell you that the single best beer stop in So Cal. is Pizza Port Solana Beach.

I have not been to central/northern Cal. but the places section on RateBeer ought to help.

As for Utah, it is a rather poor place for beer. There are a few breweries in the state, most, if not all, in and around Salt Lake City.

If you make it down to Phoenix make sure to go to Papago Brewing.

My site, it is crappy.

http://www.nothoo.com

Check the beer tours at Ratebeer.com:

San Diego

Orange County (south of L.A.)

Los Angeles

Las Vegas

Main Places Page

From experience I can tell you that the single best beer stop in So Cal. is Pizza Port Solana Beach.

I have not been to central/northern Cal. but the places section on RateBeer ought to help.

As for Utah, it is a rather poor place for beer. There are a few breweries in the state, most, if not all, in and around Salt Lake City.

If you make it down to Phoenix make sure to go to Papago Brewing.

Thank you. This is all going into our research & intinerary development!

That kind of looks like a "death route" for good beer.

If you were going further north there would be options. Once you get east of Yosemite (on your route) you're going to see little if any good beer options.

fanatic...

• 3 weeks later...