• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York Times Bergen County Top 6

dodge621

according to an ad in today's Record for Donnatelo Ristorante in Fort Lee it says

that the NY Times has chosen Donatello as one of the top 6 Restaurants in Bergen County

- anyone seen this article or can verify this

- anyone been to this place

- what are the top 5?

If that is true I am a bit shocked. Our office is on the same block and we never ever see any patrons in this restaurant, lunch or dinner. In fact we walked by at 8:45 this evening and there was not a soul in the restaurant. We often ask each other how can they possibly remain open (at least 6 months or longer) without doing any business. I have not been there because three different people told me not to waste my time and money. Wow. Maybe they meant to say bottom 6. Talk about false advertising.

Hank

I was quite certain as well it was phony advertising as it says on p.36 of  the Go section of yesterday's Record

that the New York Times has chosen it as one of Bergen Cty.'s top 6 restaurants

- when they failed to include a date of this review or ranking it was quite clear they were playing games

The Times is very sensitive about the use of its name in advertising. I may give them a call on Tuesday and see if there is any such list.

I don't recall a Times review of Donatello. I wonder if they did rate it acceptably, and tey only reviewed six, if that counts?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Sounds like false advertising to me. Does anyone know if this is illegal?  If anyone calls the NY Times or the restaurant please let us know what you found out.

I find it very annoying.  

The other thing that many restaurants do (including friends) is to translate the NY Times Jersy edition ratings into stars and then use those translated ratings in their advertising.

Ex.  Joes Greasy Spoon is given a Good by Corcoran in the Sunday edition.

The next days ad reads:

"Awarded Two Stars by the New York Times"

Grrrrr

Nick

another example of this type of thing was when scalini fedeli opened up their nyc branch.  in the ad for the nyc place, they used their NJ zagat rating, making it seems like the nyc place got that rating, and also boasted "voted the top italian in the state", leaving the perceptive reader asking "by whom?"

For what it is worth, Donatello's Italian Rest. in Fort Lee has never been reviewed by the NY Times in their NJ section or any where else. Their ad is just a ploy to get some poor suckers to come to their restaurant. Maybe someone should let them know that this only drives people away, and if they want customers let them serve some edible and interesting dishes.

Hank

Tommy, in answer to your most legitimate question I first called the restaurant, asked for the owner and asked him when the review ran in the NY Times. He told me that he did not remember when they reviewed his restaurant nor did he have a copy of the supposed review. (I am most sure that a review attesting a restaurant to being one of the top 6 in NJ would be in the window the same second it came out). I next went on the the NJ Times web sight dining section and could find no review for Donatello's in Fort Lee for the past year. I believe that I did my homework before claiming that the ad was a fraud. I certainly hope that you agree.

Hank

I received the following message from David Corcoran from The New York Times.

"Donatello has never been reviewed in the Times. Nor do we

publish a Top 10 or Top Anything list. Feel free to quote me on the eGullet site.

cheers, David"

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE