• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tarte Tatin: Merged topics

March when I will be in Paris is not the best season for apples, but if there is any chance of finding a good tarte tatin, I will have to do my research.

I have recollections of three tt, none outstanding. The Groupe Flo Bakery near Bastille regularly made them in two sizes. While ok in a pinch, it was not outstanding. A small neighborhood bakery near the Centre Pompidou (on a side street off Rambuteau, parallel to rue Beubourg, made a better version, but it was only on certain days of the week. Years earlier I tracked down an antique-looking patisserie on the Left Bank, near Blvd. Saint Germain, but I can't recall the name or precise location.

Any suggestions out there?

March when I will be in Paris is not the best season for apples, but if there is any chance of finding a good tarte tatin, I will have to do my research. 

Any suggestions out there?

Millet on the Rue St-Dominique always manages to scrape up some apples when I threw myself on their mercy out of season. (They think me a bit eccentric asking out of season, but hey.)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

While the Pages Jaunes photo does not jog my memory of the yesteryear shop I had in mind, Millet on 103 Rue St. Dominique might be worth a try.  I assumed you had to special order it.

Yes I call the day before and plead with Madame who shouts down the stairs to ask if it's possible (it always is).

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

We have yet to encounter a decent Tarte Tatin (like my husband can make) in a restaurant in France. (or the US) --We, also, keep searching!

Tarte Tatin (like Cassoulet) is one of those dishes best made at home-unless one wishes to provoke endless discussions.

Especially as people have a tendency to use puff pastry, which is not acceptable.

:rolleyes:

Edited to add the puff pastry line

Edited by TarteTatin (log)

Philly Francophiles

I haven't found a good one either. Mine is the best I have tasted, and I use the premade Pate Fieullette (sp?) Pur Beurre for the pastry! Still better than anything I have tasted!

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

I had an extraordinarily good tarte Tatin at Jean-Paul Hevin's tea salon (above his chocolate shop) on the rue St. Honoré. Also the one at Berthillon is pretty good, especially if you're a non-purist and get it with a scoop of their caramel, or vanilla ice cream...or both!

Good suggestions. I will be staying not too far from both. If the tart is served hot, I prefer ice cream to creme chantilly or the other alternatives.