• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bard on the Beach

*Deborah*

I have some thoughts (Adesso, Joie mentioned the Ordinary Café) but wanted more Gulleters' input, please! My parents and I are attending BOTB on Thursday and need to eat somewhere beforehand, not too fancy (plus I think we're going to West on Friday). My dad is allergic to shellfish, but otherwise we're only picky re: not too trendy or loud, and somewhere relatively close by would be a good thing.

What say you?

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Well closest would be the Smoking Dog and Epic, neither of which I've tried. :smile:

Tangerine too "trendy"? (It is not really trendy, but the room is an effort in "hip".)

With a car or a will to walk you could of course open the possibilities of GI, South Granville, and beyond. But I am telling you things you already know.

ETA: I now recall something about one of your parents' mobility on foot so that's probably ruling out walking.

Edited by BCinBC (log)

My mum is less-than-perfectly mobile, so I fear we will be stuck with a car regardless. But I would like to go someplace new (to us), and I'm just inviting thoughts since I seldom eat in that neighbourhood, and I'm not 100% sure what's around.

:smile:

Wow, what a memory! :laugh: exactly.

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Please support The Dog, Deborah. Just before his death, Jean-Claude had completed its sale to his son Martin and his partner Jean. I'm sure that they would be especially happy for your patronage right now and there are some very good value choices available (the table d'hôte is c. $20; the pastas and crêpes are excellent) as well as the more expensive côte de boeuf or pepper steak.

J.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

How about Annapurna on 4th and Burrard if your folks like Indian, or Incendio on 5th and Burrard?

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Sorry, guess we were all posting at the same time- I withdraw my earlier suggestions and endorse the Smoking Dog : )

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I see all the Bard plays every year and whenever I can I have a light dinner before hand. Granville Island is very close by and might be nice for the parents if they aren't familiar with it. There is also a place a very good Japanese place west of Burrard on 2nd and 3rd. Maybe someone knows the name. There used to be a tapas place on the corner of Cornwall and Cypress, but I think it changed ownership.

Paul B

Not exactly fine dining ... but good food all the same ... "J" and I are going to pick up a picnic from Provence Marinaside and then (weather permitting) dine outside before Bard next week.

The only questions remaining is: do we wait for Hamlet on the 30th or go with "As You Like It" on the 24th? Decisions decisions ....

A.

In my very subjective opinion;

Come On people, Vera's Burger Shack is a natural :biggrin: , Who wouldn't want a big burger full of flavour shots (esp roasted garlic) :shock: before they enjoy bard .

But seriously, smoking dog, if its a nice night go early, sit on the patio and enjoy. Adesso and tangerine are good options but a little farther away.

If you want sushi octopus garden is good as well.

Edited by gerald (log)

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage