• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rain...Ouch

Has anyone else seen the add for Rain (the Wallingfor sushi restaurant) that shows the staff giving the bird, and the text commenting on Nancy Leson's review of their restaurant? I've been to Rain twice and her review was right on the mark. I found it to be, in general, better than any other sushi in the neighborhood (except maybe Chinoise on a good day), but very expensive and limited to, I think, whatever fish was on sale that week. The last time I went I was a friend who is deathly allergic to shellfish and of the 20 rolls on the menu, only two was without shrimp, which sucks for him, but I was in shrimp heaven.

Restraunts always get at least one bad review (I think the Weekly gave them a good one) but I thought this add was pretty tasteless and think I'm going to send Rain a note saying so, and then take my business down the street.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Has anyone else seen the add for Rain (the Wallingfor sushi restaurant) that shows the staff giving the bird, and the text commenting on Nancy Leson's review of their restaurant?

Wow, giving in to temptation; never a good idea..at least not in public.

Not that I would ever consider such a crude response, but is there an argument to be made that if critics can dish it out, shouldn't they be able to take it? :hmmm:

Edited by olivina (log)

link to Rain review

In the review, she notes greasy tempura, "off" tasting edamame, oddly conceived dishes, and sloppy service. Seems she's right about the attitude, if that's their response.

"Not that I would ever consider such a crude response, but is there an argument to be made that if critics can dish it out, shouldn't they be able to take it?"

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like it's more about the Restaurant not being able to take it, not the reviewer...

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

link to Rain review

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like it's more about the Restaurant not being able to take it, not the reviewer...

You are right lala, I was incorrectly assuming that Nancy might be upset by Rain's ad. I have no doubt that she will handle this with grace.

I don't condone Rain's nasty ad. I was just thinking of writers, movie makers or restaurants (never me, of course) who have been panned and have considered retribution. Just for the sake of argument and because I am a trouble maker.

link to Rain review

You are right lala, I was incorrectly assuming that Nancy might be upset by Rain's ad. I have no doubt that she will handle this with grace.

I don't condone Rain's nasty ad. I was just thinking of writers, movie makers or restaurants (never me, of course) who have been panned and have considered retribution. Just for the sake of argument and because I am a trouble maker.

***Is the ad available online anywhere? I can't believe people could be so TACKY!!! Go Nancy! ....call 'em as you see 'em !

I don't think Nancy's review is the equivalent of flipping someone the bird.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I'd love to see the ad, too... anyone?

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”