• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gourmet Warehouse

I was speaking to Caren McSherry this morning, she was preparing to move her Gourmet Warehouse to a new location at the end of June.

If you haven't shopped there, it's amazing!

Her new location will be at Hastings and Clarke, still on the East side to keep prices down. She mentioned she was going to have a sale at the old location on Pandora (Hastings and Victoria) about 2 weeks before she moved and said she would let me know. I will pass that date, as well as the new address on to you e-gulleters. Her products, selection and prices are great. Fleur de Sel at half the price of other locations, great pepper, all sorts of goodies! That's where I do my Christmas shopping!

Cate

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

I was speaking to Caren McSherry this morning, she was preparing to move her Gourmet Warehouse to a new location at the end of June.

If you haven't shopped there, it's amazing!

Her new location will be at Hastings and Clarke, still on the East side to keep prices down.  She mentioned she was going to have a sale at the old location on Pandora (Hastings and Victoria) about 2 weeks before she moved and said she would let me know. I will pass that date, as well as the new address on to you e-gulleters. Her products, selection and prices are great. Fleur de Sel at half the price of other locations, great pepper, all sorts of goodies! That's where I do my Christmas shopping!

Cate

Still no internet/mail order shopping though :hmmm: .

Am I the only person in Vancouver who finds that place underwhelming?

A carefully contrived bit of retailing disguised as a 'warehouse'?

For my money there are dozens of places where larger quantities of the same items are on sale cheaper.

The Olive Oil I bought was decent deal but not outstanding-I fail to see what the fuss is about.

I suppose it must titillate people who "don't shop on price' to pretend they're saving a few dollars.

Dollar store ceramics don't a bargain make.

No, you are not alone. I tend to agree with you. There are some good prices, but lots of stuff is priced like westside retail.

Cheers,

Anne

Cate - thanks for mentioning the move. I live in Mission and only get there every few months. It would have been dissappointing to go all the way in and not find it. Please do let us know when the sale is on as soon as you know. I'll try to plan a trip in.

Sam and barolo - Where do you recommend shopping for similar food items to what Caren carries? Since I don't get into town much I don't have the luxury of shopping around. Your recommendations would be welcome.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Sam and barolo - Where do you recommend shopping for similar food items to what Caren carries? Since I don't get into town much I don't have the luxury of shopping around. Your recommendations would be welcome.

I was just about to say the same thing. The thing I like best about Gourmet Warehouse is not they they carry these items (which I know I can find elsewhere, probably cheaper) but that they're all in one place. Kinda like the Home Depot of foodie-stuff.

Personally, I don't shop there all that often. But if I'm in a pinch, and I need something ASAP, it's likely my first stop.

A.

A carefully contrived bit of retailing disguised as a 'warehouse'?

For my money there are dozens of places where larger quantities of the same items are on sale cheaper.

The Olive Oil I bought was decent deal but not outstanding-I fail to see what the fuss is about.

I suppose it must titillate people who "don't shop on price' to pretend they're saving a few dollars.

Dollar store ceramics don't a bargain make.

Totally agree with you on this. Plus, parking is usually terrible. I find prices no different or more than my local West side stores. Plus, I enjoy looking around at various stores rather than do the one stop shopping, particularly the ethnic stores.

Anything Oriental-Sunrise Market 300 Powell Street , China Cereals and Oils 126 Gore Avenue or T&T Supermarket , 181 Keefer St .

Olive Oil-Parthenon 3080 W. Broadway.

Cheapo Ceramics-Daiso or any dollar store of note.

I was away and missed this question but maybe it's time to bring this thread to the top of page so we can find out if the sale is on yet. I checked the Gourmet Warehouse website but there's nothing there on the move or a sale.

As for your question, CanadianBakin', I'm afraid I do shop around, so I can't suggest one place to go as an alternative. I live in the West End and tend to stick close to home for shopping for the most part but I have a huge selection of food places to check out and there's always stuff on sale. I also go Parthenon and T&T downtown for cheap prices as Sam suggests. I just bought a bag of savory at Parthenon for 47 cents! and it was very fresh and aromatic.

For dishes, pots and pans etc - the Bay and Sears often have good stuff on sale, Cookworks has sales regularly, Ming Wo has sales regularly, Winners is worth checking out.

I'm not suggesting that I never shop at Gourmet Warehouse or that you shouldn't, only that the prices don't seem reliably low to me. In another thread recently choux reported finding Valrhona chocolate cheaper at Whole Foods than at Gourmet Warehouse - Whole Foods is hardly known for its low prices.

It sounds like the convenience of having everything in one place is important to you given that you are in Mission and not in a position to shop around, so Gourmet Warehouse is a good option for you. However, I think it would be worth posting questions on this site for recommendations on where to source specific products. There's lots of resourceful shoppers here.

Cheers,

Anne