• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Organic Produce/Meats in the Triangle

Other than Whole Foods and Southern Season, are there any other places to purchase organic products (specifically vegies)? What about "you-pick" farms? How's the farmer's market in Raleigh doing along the organic lines (heirloom tomatoes and the like?) Yeah, I know I'm from Northern California (and therefore exceedingly spoiled), but every trip back to the Tarheel state, I'm surprised by the options available. And guaranteed the folks/family won't know, not exactly their thing :huh: We'll be there all next week, and I know I'll need to cook...

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.

Not sure how much Southern Season has in the way of OG. Your best sources will be at the Durham (Sat am) and Carborro Farmer's Mkts (Sat am and Wed pm). I haven't been to the Raleigh Farmer's Market in some time but was very unimpressed last I went. Weaver St. Market in Carborro is a good source and an Earth Fare is opening up in Chapel Hill soon.

That's where I would look.

Where is Durham's farmer's market?  Anyone have an address?

The Durham market is on, I believe, Foster St. It's on the same street as the old ballpark a few blocks closer to downtown. I actually prefer it to the Saturday Carborro mkt because the parking is better, it's less crowded, it's closer to my home, and I can bring my dogs. Carborro is maybe just a tad better in terms of product, but perhaps not enough to warrant the hassle.

The Raleigh Farmer's Market has fresh hormone free/antibiotic free beef, poultry,rabbit and lamb every day now. Rose Hill Farms from Pittsboro (or Carrbor, I always get those two confused!) has been there every day lately. Their prices are much better than Whole Foods and the product that I have tried so far is great. Very fresh. Bought a butterflied chicken the other day and put on the grill and it was incredible.

On weekends, I have also seen one or two organic veggie tables, usually near the La Farm bread and goat cheese vendors. Today (a Tuesday) there was a fresh cheese vendor (cow's milk) there. We tried the Farmer's cheese, which was very fresh. The man working the table, who said he was the cheesemaker's brother, said that they are trying to get up to speed for being in Raleigh every day, in addition to Carrboro Wed-Sun.

The Raleigh Farmer's Market has fresh hormone free/antibiotic free beef, poultry,rabbit and lamb every day now. Rose Hill Farms from Pittsboro (or Carrbor, I always get those two confused!) has been there every day lately. Their prices are much better than Whole Foods and the product that I have tried so far is great. Very fresh. Bought a butterflied chicken the other day and put on the grill and it was incredible.

On weekends, I have also seen one or two organic veggie tables, usually near the La Farm bread and goat cheese vendors. Today (a Tuesday) there was a fresh cheese vendor (cow's milk) there. We tried the Farmer's cheese, which was very fresh. The man working the table, who said he was the cheesemaker's brother, said that they are trying to get up to speed for being in Raleigh every day, in addition to Carrboro Wed-Sun.

Well, we were in Raleigh last week (from California) visiting the folks and we went to the Raleigh FM's on Sunday - I saw the cheese vendors and the meat (chicken/rabbit) vendor - very pleasantly surprised - looks as though the quality and selection is slowly increasing!

i will concur with the last two posts, i bought a whole duck(6$) last week, it was frozen, but still very very tasty! when will we see some heirloom tomatoes in raleigh? it doesnt seem like the public knows enough about them for the specialty farmers to bring them out. they are more or less saved for the high end restaurants, im guessing.

The complexity of flavor is a token of durable appreciation. Each Time you taste it, each time it's a different story, but each time it's not so different." Paul Verlaine

when will we see some heirloom tomatoes in raleigh? it doesnt seem like the public knows enough about them for the specialty farmers to bring them out. they are more or less saved for the high end restaurants, im guessing.

It's still a bit early for heirloom tomatoes regardless of where you are. Whole Foods has them, but I can assure you they're coming from somewhere south like Mexico. Tomatoes that pop this early are almost always hybrids bred specifically for early season harvest.

I could be wrong because my seasonal timing was primarily learned in the SF Bay Area where we never saw outdoor grown tomatoes until early July. That said, the only tomatoes I'm getting out of my back yard right now are cherries.

I just got back from 4 days in Chapel Hill and and the pleasure of shopping at both Southern Season (they are having an inventor reduction sale now btw) and the Weaver Street market. I absolutely loved both.

Though I was living in the dorms at UNC and therefore not buying to cook immediately, I was extremely impressed by the offerings at Weaver market. Great selection of cheeses and meats. I know I saw beautiful, organic chickens.

I hit the Carborro market Wednesday afternoon, but I either showed up too early (right around 3 PM when they open) or it is too early in the season for the vendors to have much to sell. I didn't have a chance to go back later to see if offerings improved.

I also noticed that the restaurant adjacent to Weaver, Panzanella, will feature a "Local Produce" dinner soon - would have loved to try that.

I bought several cheeses from the celebrity dairy that I am looking forward to eating.

I wish we had a Weaver market in Charlotte!

when will we see some heirloom tomatoes in raleigh? it doesnt seem like the public knows enough about them for the specialty farmers to bring them out. they are more or less saved for the high end restaurants, im guessing.

It's still a bit early for heirloom tomatoes regardless of where you are. Whole Foods has them, but I can assure you they're coming from somewhere south like Mexico. Tomatoes that pop this early are almost always hybrids bred specifically for early season harvest.

I could be wrong because my seasonal timing was primarily learned in the SF Bay Area where we never saw outdoor grown tomatoes until early July. That said, the only tomatoes I'm getting out of my back yard right now are cherries.

The toms in my garden are only starting to get color. July and August are prime tomato time, but now is a great time to find sources for slab bacon.

Last year, there was a farm stand on Creedmoor that carrier Cherokee Purple and several other wonderful heirlooms.

Was that Creedmor Road? If so, where? We're going back to Raleigh in July - and I'd be eager to find it....

Was that Creedmor Road?  If so, where?  We're going back to Raleigh in July - and I'd be eager to find it....

Yep. It was on Creedmoor on the east side. Between Millbrook and Strickland - that's a few miles, I know, but it should be there. I just can't remember where exactly.

It's Lyon Farms and it is between Lynn rd. and Strickland on Creedmoor. They also have a spot at the Durham Farmers Market. I picked up some Purple Cherokees last Saturday.

Was that Creedmor Road?  If so, where?  We're going back to Raleigh in July - and I'd be eager to find it....

Yep. It was on Creedmoor on the east side. Between Millbrook and Strickland - that's a few miles, I know, but it should be there. I just can't remember where exactly.