• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eggplant

Sencha

I just ate my last garden eggplant last night! After reading all these recipes guess I'll have to go and actually buy one. I usually just brown slices in butter with a bit of salt and pepper. My son and I are the only eggplant eaters in the family, love it when he comes to visit!

I was just given a gift of beautiful mizunasu. does anyone know what the best way to enjoy mizunasu is? I have had them lightly pickled as an appetizer at sushi restaurants and was amazed at the flavor of raw eggplant. I had never had raw eggplant before that time and now I am a total convert. What is the technique for pickling them like that? How else can I enjoy these mizunasu (I have a big box of them)?

Lucky guy. I've never had them. I learned about them only recently from a TV show called Tabegoro Manma. They are best eaten raw or as light pickles. I think Helen has something to say about how to pickle them right.

I found one recipe for カルパッチョ

http://recipe.gnavi.co.jp/recipe/2761.html

(Japanese only)

Enjoy! :biggrin:

I also adore eggplant. A lot of Filipino dishes include eggplant in the recipe. My faves include:

Grilled eggplant with fresh tomato wedges and sliced onions with shrimp paste vinagrette.

Grilled eggplant torta - grilled eggplant with meat stuffing mixed with egg and then fried

Eggplant and Squash salad - Boiled eggplant and squash mixed with raw garlic, pounded into a paste with some vinegar mixed in.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos