• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Umami

godito

I know where to find it and I was once explained why it is the fifth taste... but I can't explain it. I read the interview with Ferran Adrià and he pretty much said the same thing (which made me feel better) He actually asked if somebody could explain it to him. That's exactly what I want. I've been working on an article that describes the differences between tastes and flavors (or just plain sensations like spicy hot), but I jusst can't find the words to describe umami. Can any of my fellow egulleters help me out?

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

I could be wrong but:

A food that has the quality of umami is savory. Maybe this doesn't help.....

Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

My understanding is that it's almost as much sensation or texture as flavor. "Savory" is the nearest I can come to it. Kind a full mouth-feel, or a flavor that fills in the gaps between the other major flavors.

Jeffery Steingarten's article "Why Doesn't Everybody in China Have a Headache?" in It Must've Been Something I Ate is a good exploration of umami and its role in MSG.

Meaty/mushroomy.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

have you actually tasted pure msg?

its not nice (confused it for sugar when i was a kid)

but wouldn't the best example of umami be dashi stock?

konbu and bonito flakes?

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

I've been working on an article that describes the differences between tastes and flavors (or just plain sensations like spicy hot), but I just can't find the words to describe umami. Can any of my fellow egulleters help me out?

I would be really interested in reading this article when it's published. Could you possibly post a link to it when your mission is accomplished?

The way it was described to me in culinary school was that Umami is richness without fat.

It was discovered by Kikunae Ikeda, a chemistry professor at the Imperial University of Tokyo in 1906 (I think). The name for it comes from the Japanese adjective umai, meaning delicious.

You can find umami in soy sauce and balsamic vinegar.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Godito, I just learned that everything has a society!

Happy reading and good luck.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I've been working on an article that describes the differences between tastes and flavors (or just plain sensations like spicy hot), but I just can't find the words to describe umami. Can any of my fellow egulleters help me out?

I would be really interested in reading this article when it's published. Could you possibly post a link to it when your mission is accomplished?

I'd be glad to post a linkto it, but i?m writing it in spanish....

Godito, I just learned that everything has a society!

Happy reading and good luck.

Thank's Really Nice. I will now start reading and see what I find :cool:

Follow me @chefcgarcia

My Blog, en Español

Umami is "meat taste without meat". That je ne sais quoi taste sensation one feels/gets when eating any animal protein, certain vegetable products like fermented soy, seaweed, etc.

To paraphrase Lao Tsu;

Search for it, you will not find

Feel for it, you can't touch.

Smell, it has no scent.

IT IS.

So, umami is elusive then? Despite the advice not to seek it, am I to understand that if we choose to follow this folly, msg could help to ignite this spiritual high? Would the pheromone hit from truffles be considered a good example of umami?

As a matter of interest, do many of you use msg in your cooking?

So, umami is elusive then?  Despite the advice not to seek it, am I to understand that if we choose to follow this folly, msg could help to ignite this spiritual high? Would the pheromone hit from truffles be considered a good example of umami?

As a matter of interest, do many of you use msg in your cooking?

I have used it, but haven't used it lately and have never used it regularly. I have a recipe for a knockout salad dressing that includes Accent. I've also added msg to roast chicken, long before I discovered the joys of paprika chicken. I'm pretty sure my favorite store-roasted chickens have msg added, or at least used to have it.

As to whether I 'experienced' umami - well, I know I liked the flavor and couldn't describe it. At the time I'd never heard of umami, so who knows? Maybe I'll try it again. I still have a lot of Accent in that jar.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I know that Umami is found in, say, mushrooms (shiitakes have high Umami). I also know that it "opens" your mouth.... that roundness that was already mentioned. And I've been reading the posts and the links. I'm learning a lot and enjoying it. But I still don't understand what makes it a taste and not just a sensation (like the one you get from chilli peppers). I guess, in my article, I can just mention it and don't describe it with much detail. Just talk about what I know..... :raz:

Follow me @chefcgarcia

My Blog, en Español

Found in parmesan and grana cheeses, mushrooms, on kelp and so on.

I don't use rendered MSG but use ingredients that I know naturally contain it.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM