• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Next Celebrity Chef

Grub

It's funny...I work at a four star resort in Phoenix (although am returning to my beloved NYC next week--YEAH!) . At lunch today we were chatting about various FN "stars" and it seems that almost all industry professionals (that I have talked to on the subject) have the same reactions to almost every "chef" on the network, with the exception of Sara Moulton. It seems that about half love her, and half don't. I am among those that love her. I don't really learn anything from her (only because I cook for a living), but find her to be personable, real, informative and just really nice. (One of my favorite episodes was the one she went fishing with her brother.)

As for Jacques Torres, I HAVE learned from him. I grant you that unless you're experienced in pastry many of his techniques are wicked advanced for the average cook. I made some custom gelatin molds based upon his champagne mold episode. Let me tell you...he makes things look SO easy...but that is why he is so good.

After one of the judges made the comment that Eric Warren’s potato salad could be the best they have ever had, I tried the recipe and it’s damned good, actually. Sure it’s your basic potato salad recipe and probably the first time I have ever made potato salad using a recipe, but it was very good.

Much in the way I never refer to a recipe for deviled eggs, I thought my improvised potato salad was pretty good with it’s potatoes, dollop of mayo, a little mustard, salt, pepper… But Eric really dropped some science on my ass when he hit those potatoes with 2 ½ cups of mayonnaise.

Wow! What was I thinking? At the most maybe I would put in a half cup of mayo or so… but never, ever 2 ½ delicious cups worth!

I must agree with that judge; Eric’s potato salad could be the best potato salad I have ever had.

Thanks Eric!

White Truffle Girl---

If you get a chance to speak with Jacques Torres, please let him know there is a woman somewhere in CT that fantasizes about covering him with melted chocolate and licking it off... Being a newspaper reporter, I have to protect my sources so I can't reveal the name of that woman.... :rolleyes:

And yeah, there is no way I could ever make what Jacques made....but I liked his show because it was like watching a master artist paint.

Back to topic...

I think Dan & Steve can cook. And I think they can probably teach me a thing or two. And they are fun.

In general though, I have little to no use for the FN these days. It just doesn't sing my song...and I am on the NOT liking Sara Moulton side of the griddle. It's mostly a personality thing...she strikes me as condescending and I was never wowed by stuff she made. That said, I don't like the new Iron Chef either. It's all about food, whereas the original series, which I loved, had much more drama and pathos.

Also, since when was Gordon Elliott annointed the great judge of talent? I did not enjoy watching him critique the contestants. He strikes me as a buffoon and a shameless hawker of Campbell's soup. He used to be on a show...what was it... A Current Affair, I think. He was shrill then, and that's still his schtick. I like Marc Summers, used to love Double Dare, but hate Unwrapped.

I look forward to watching ABourdain on travel.

Over and out,

T

• 2 months later...

So, after it's all said and done, the winners apparently get a 6-episode (mini) series which debuts this Sunday at the highly-watched hour of 8:30 a.m. CT. I'm not sure but I believe that's actually fewer episodes than the series which determined the winners. And it's not exactly a prime-time slot either. Anyone else get the feeling that the Hearty Boys are going to have a 6-episode "career" in television?

From today's Chicago Sun-Times:

. . . Six episodes are planned so far and, depending on audience popularity, might lead to many more.

Tune in

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 2 months later...

I just came upon this follow-up on Steve and Dan from Anna Johnson at the Associated Press, which appeared in the November 27 edition of the Chicago Sun-Times:

. . . Bob Tuschman, Food Network's senior vice president of programming and production, said the network has been "amazed" at the positive response they've received regarding "Party Line."

"When you're watching them, you feel like you're in the kitchen with them having a cup of coffee," Tuschman said. "People can smell a phony, and these guys are the real deal. Their fun is totally genuine, and it comes through on TV." . . .

Food Network stars show hard work equals success

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com