• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Next Celebrity Chef

Grub

From what I've read, no one could vote via the website-- oops. (Which of course begs the question of how much voting there really was. Good thing we're the only ones watching, otherwise they'd have a big, American Idol-style scandal on their hands.) I decided a few weeks ago that I'd be most interested in watching Hans, but that Dan and Steve would be my second choice-- Deborah's "charm" is like nails on a chalkboard to me, so I'm please she didn't prevail. I'll at least give Dan and Steve's show a chance; my guess is that it'll at least be entertaining, if not enlightening.

Edited by sakana (log)

I thought it was sadly affirming that when the group was narrowed from 4 to 3, it was Susannah who was eliminated and not Deborah.

I was no fan of the robotic and low-fat-obsessed Susannah but at least she knew how to cook. Yet, out of 10,000 supposed applicants, Deborah -- someone who didn't even know how long to cook a pork chop -- made it to the final 2. :blink:

Congrats to Dan & Steve, though. I find their schtick somewhat tiresome -- and they weren't my favorites -- but at least they appear to know something about food.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Just beaming in to say I couldn't vote either. I finally gave up about half way through. My daughter (who knows everything) says there wasn't really any voting anyway - that everything was predetermined. Who knows?

I was also rooting for Hans, but given the choice between Deborah and Dan and Steve, I'm glad it came out the way it did. Won't it be weird to see them actually doing a show in September?

Maggie

I think they chose Deborah so Dan and Steve would win, hands down...Deborah was a complete ding-dong and had nothing to really contribute to the network (honestly, I wasn't all that crazy about Dan and Steve anyway: there schtick is going to get very tired very fast...why do all the shows have to have some kookoo in a studio kitchen??)

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

I was able to vote on the website - I'd logged in well before the show started, though. It was kind of silly, actually - each person was allowed 10 votes! What the heck?

I liked Hans the best too, but really - he has nobody to blame but himself. He totally choked on the market basket challenge.

I never liked Susannah, but she should have made it to the final three over Deborah. I'm so glad she didn't win.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Those two dudes were probably one of the better choices, I guess -- it all depends on how their on-screen prescence and chemistry/shtick holds up.

I didn't see all the episodes, but Deborah barely registered on the radar as far as I'm concerned -- just a generic, black woman -- kinda like Hans just being a white guy; no schtick or "angle." (Or was Hans the frizzy-haired goofy dude?)

but if I hear Susannah tell us one more time about how she's lost weight and that is why she should win, I think I might snap.

OMG - Thank you!! Every single time they showed her, the title under name either said that she lost X amount of weight, & she ALWAYS had to mention that she lost weight whenever she said anything. And my husband was the one who actually said that she looked like Rachel Ray without the annoying mannerisms & without talking out of the side of her mouth. We both really liked Hans & I was sad to see him go because he was enjoyable. Harmony was the the token "hot chick" but she did come back nicely after they screwed her up in the cake decoratiing how to. Deborah didn't bother me, but I think people didn't vote for her perhaps because she is a celebrity chef & an actress & people really didn't want to see her get her own show. Michael was too annoying & I was happy when he got cut. We both liked Eric too but whenever he froze we were like, "No, no, don't freeze, c'mon dude, pull it together". I enjoyed the show (Tivo'd it so I wouldn't miss it) & I think all in all it was very entertaining. It will be interesting to see how Dan & Steve's show goes!

Rock is dead. Long live paper & scissors!

Gifted Gourmet--  Same here, I never got to vote!!!  The Web site never clicked in, kept coming up as busy.

Because the same thing happened to so many of us here at eG, do you suppose that there never was a way to vote in reality? looks like Maggie B had it right when she said:

Just beaming in to say I couldn't vote either. I finally gave up about half way through. My daughter (who knows everything) says there wasn't really any voting anyway - that everything was predetermined
From what I've read, no one could vote via the website-- oops. (Which of course begs the question of how much voting there really was.
and same with sakana, it appears ... :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Does anyone really care who won?

Food Network ceased to be about food a long time ago...most of their "chefs" are IMHO one-note (dare I say) hacks that know very little about food, but a lot about self-promotion.

The good ones on the network are (by and large) gone (or are going, in the case of a couple who the network decided not to renew contracts for).

Yes, I watched a couple of episodes of this program, but I was completely aghast at what the Food Network had chosen as potential next "stars."

I'm with a few of the other posters on this thread...why can't there be serious shows geared towards real foodies. We aren't a small audience.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Amy

I haven't read this entire thread yet, but I've watched all but the last episode (I already read the results), and was puzzled by some of their eliminations.

I agree the informative quality of Food Network has gone way downhill in lieu of banal feature shows about festivals, quick, mindless review-type shows, and Rachel Ray (gag). This show taught me how difficult it is to both convey personality and cooking ability simultaneously, while being filmed.

The winning couple were naturals and technically solid, and I imagine the panel liked their niche. I don't know how Deborah made it as far as she did; her personality seemed utterly contrived and her intent less than noble.

I think they cut the best of the bunch in Hans. He seemed straightforward, honest and concerned first and foremost with food. Some of the rest were almost cartoon characters.

That's awesome.  Good for them.  They both seem like good, talented people.  I'm glad to see that the fact that they were gay was not a hinderance.  Let's hope that it's a sign.

On the contrary, I would think it was almost an asset in the view of the judges and the network. Demographics, demographics, demographics.

I would have cut Deborah first among the finalists. Harmony was beautiful and seemed a really sweet person, but she froze before the camera more than anyone else. She had to go. Eric's food was wretched; did anyone see the "recipe" for his "kissing cousins"? Cook rice, cook veggies, cook lobster, shrimp and scallops. Pour melted butter over all.

Just my two cents - I've eaten the Hearty Boys' food a number of times, and it has been excellent.... I'm glad they won.  I hope they'll still be available for catering contracts!

Ian

I'll bet their prices just went up :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Sara Moulton's contract wasn't renewed...and while I certainly don't know for sure, Jacques Torres is off the air as of this week, so I'm not sure what's going on there.  I hope to ask him next week at the World Pastry Forum.

Amy

I have seen Sara Moulton speak two different times in New Orleans over the last 18 months ( I wrote about it somewhere around here) and I can tell you that she, for sure, knew that she was getting the axe. She made so many comments that indirectly alluded to her situation and to the changes at the FN that you would have to have been deaf not to hear what she was saying. It's a shame. She cooks. She's smart. She's funny. She's something close to a real human.

But, she has another gig, not including the cookbook writing part of her life, so I doubt she will miss a meal.

Shame about that though.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I have to agree that food network has just plummeted over the years. This show is a prime example of why I turn the channel to Fine Living or Discovery. I really would not watch a show hosted by any of these guys. Personally I do not know them but what they have to say and cook reminds me of Rachel Ray (who I would sleep with..lol) and that is not saying much. There are a smattering of pretty ok programs like the show showing struggling restaurant newbies trying to open a new place or the hilarious Iron Chef America but overrall they need an overhaul. They need a show featuring chefs doing primitive hunting with primitive weapons hunting their meals and preparing them. If they die in the process the ratings go through the roof. I would love to see Lagasse wrestle an alligator and BAM..get eaten!

Although I'm happy enough with my cooking skills (mind you, I always hope to improve them), I'll readily admit that my knowledge is nowhere good enough to properly evaluate the ability of any of the Food Network chefs...

Thus, to me, they don't appear to be one-note hacks, but I completely accept that to many eGulleteers, they may appear to be so. Don't get me wrong -- I don't think they are super-chefs, and I think (or hope) that I would appreciate it, and enjoy it, if they did hire someone with better skills and knowledge.

But having said that, I agree with the earlier post about Julia Childs not considering herself a Chef. Being the best chef doesn't make you the best teacher.

I completely share everyone's dislike of the "The secrets of ..." shows, the "So-and-so uncovered/unwrapped" and Rachel Ray -- especially the $40 a day series. I don't give a damn how a fucking Twinkie is made. I wish they'd stick to cooking, and edumacating people...

What they don't need are these ridiculous "rating" shows. That Top 5 host is perhaps the worst TV personality I've ever seen. They also don't need high-end cuisine. I liked Ming Tsai, for instance, but he was way too focused on fois gras and such.

I've been really into the book Nourishing Traditions, which is produced by the Weston Price Foundation, and I'd love to see show along those lines. Traditional whole foods, lacto-fermented vegetables and beverages, etc.

Jacques Torres is creative but his show is useless you have the time and equipment to turn out chocolate champagne bottles and statues. Pawwwwluh Dee-yun is over the top. The catering woman in the Hamptons ... who cares about those people?