• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Next Celebrity Chef

Grub

Didn't see a thread on this (searched the first four pages), so figured I'd create one...

Anyone seen this thing? Food Network showed the first two episodes last weekend, and it was quite interesting, and entertaining.

The first show was mostly just a selection process. They'd show tapes submitted by three vaguely similar candidates -- perky/happy types, offbeat/unusual/jokesters, couples, etc -- and then pick one of them. The final candidate was picked through an Internet selection process.

The show's website on Food Network

The more colorful characters were: Dan & Steve the gay couple. Southpark has a black kid named Token -- I guess we've become enlightened enough to have progressed beyond such racial silliness, so now, every reality show has a token gay couple... But aside from that minor irritation, they came across as very likeable, and were entertaining without becoming a minstrel show-type performance.

Eric the "self-taught" cook seemed like a weak contestant compared to the rest, seeing that most of them were "properly" educated -- but when he got started in front of the camera, the dude just completely lit up. Unfortunately, in the segment when they threw the contestants some curveballs, he completely froze.

Harmony seemed like a stereotypical, silly, beautiful blonde -- especially when she completely screwed up her first contest. But she seemed to get her stuff together later on, and showed off a really wacky, fun personality.

Talking about wacky personalities, there's Michael... The definite clown of the group.

The last one that I really took notice of, was Susannah. She's like Rachael Ray without the annoying bits.

The show also showed a number of tapes that didn't make it for a variety of reasons. Some of these were hilarious.

In one of them, two women were merrily cooking away, and happened to be distracted at just the wrong moment: when a brat strolled into the kitchen and walked in front of the camera while making headbanging gestures -- they never noticed the kid.

Another showed a "chef" beating a piece of meat with a freakin' baseball bat. I mean, Joe Pesci beating it, putting his entire body into it -- WHAM WHAM WHAM! Man, that'd make a great cooking show.

Then there was "Broccoli Man" -- a looney with a giant broccoli floret on his head, screaming that he was Broccoli Man. Good grief.

And what is up with the blonde chicks hair? Harmony I think her name is. She looks more like Heidi with those pig tails. Are we supposed to take her seriously? She is older than 14, right?

By the way, Thanks Grub for starting this thread. I've been looking for days and couldn't find one. I was under the assumption that the Food Network was so hated that we were boycotting a thread on this show and that we were only allowed to discuss the others, being Hell's Kitchen and Cooking Under Fire.

I only saw the first show...and predicted that the blond with the braids would soon be "voted off the island" or "86ed" or whatever. Has anyone been eliminated yet?

Maggie

So far only the high school cooking teacher/wrestling coach has been voted off.

I like this show so far. It's probably the most "positive" reality show on right now. For example, people aren't voted off, each judge picks people to stay. If you aren't picked, then you go home (no catchphrase for being eliminated).

I'm looking forward to Batali boot camp next week, although I have no idea what that would possibly involve...marching in clogs?

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

Thanks jesteinf...I see I could have found that out by looking at the website. Anyway, I'm votin' for Eric, early and often, if possible. And I agree that it's cool to vote for those you want to keep. instead of kicking people out.

Maggie

I can't understand why the winner,(or any of them for that matter) would be called "Chefs". At best they are JUST COOKS. After they train and lead a team, navigate food and labor costs, adhere to sanitation codes, schedualing, P&L statements, etc..... then they can be called a chef. These folks are just cooks.

Not a bad show. I was surprised I liked it. But it was very educational learning what it's like to get a show at FN. For example, looking at the early Mario takes, you have to wonder how he made it, but he did.

That said, I hate to sound like an old fogie, but in the olden days it seems like cooking was the top priority for the Food Network...now it's selling the sizzle and personality of the chef/cook.

Kinda reminds me of Fight Club. "The first rule of the Food Network is no one talks about the food."

But in all, I found the show educational as heck.

By the way, I listened to Gordon Elliot on Rocco DiSpirito's show today and he is going to be filling in for the show's host Marc Summers for at least one episode. He said Marc suffered a personal tragedy... (I know Marc suffers from OCD, but that doesn't seem the likely reason)

Anyone know what happened?

I can't understand why the winner,(or any of them for that matter) would be called "Chefs". At best they are JUST COOKS. .

And some can't even be called cooks! (Sadly, too, I know several chefs who really haven't earned their stripes, either.)

What I'd like to see, is the Food Network "Chefs" like Ms. Ray and Ms. Lawson, who are paid to stand in front of a stove on camera and chatter away, actually have to work BOTH, in order to keep their "TV Chef' status. Just one service, watching Rachel Ray working next to a certain cook I know ... now that would be entertainment!

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I really don't want to defend Food Network...but

Nigella Lawson's not on the Food Network, she's on Style. Actually most of these contestants are cooks/chefs. Much more qualified than the Hell's Kitchen contestants.

A pretty lame bunch overall, but I guess I'd have to vote for Harmony, the foot model from New York,

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_nf_vo...6_32081,00.html

because she has really a nice pair of ....

.... FEET!

Yeah! Of course. Nice feet.

SB (afterall, she's a foot model) :wacko:

Result of clicking on your link:

Not Found

The requested object does not exist on this server. The link you followed is either outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it. Please inform the site administrator of the referring page.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

A pretty lame bunch overall, but I guess I'd have to vote for Harmony, the foot model from New York,

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_nf_vo...6_32081,00.html

because she has really a nice pair of ....

.... FEET!

Yeah! Of course. Nice feet.

SB (afterall, she's a foot model) :wacko:

Result of clicking on your link:

Not Found

The requested object does not exist on this server. The link you followed is either outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it. Please inform the site administrator of the referring page.

Click here.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Not a bad show.  I was surprised I liked it.  But it was very educational learning what it's like to get a show at FN.  For example, looking at the early Mario takes, you have to wonder how he made it, but he did.

That said, I hate to sound like an old fogie, but in the olden days it seems like cooking was the top priority for the Food Network...now it's selling the sizzle and personality of the chef/cook.

Kinda reminds me of Fight Club.  "The first rule of the Food Network is no one talks about the food."

But in all, I found the show educational as heck.

By the way, I listened to Gordon Elliot on Rocco DiSpirito's show today and he is going to be filling in for the show's host Marc Summers for at least one episode. He said Marc suffered a personal tragedy...  (I know Marc suffers from OCD, but that doesn't seem the likely reason)

Anyone know what happened?

I had lunch with Marc last week for an article and he didnt mention anything....not that I asked, he seemed fine to me....maybe it was just a conflict....who knows, but he was really positive about the show....

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

I stumbled across this show last Sunday (6/4) and watched it. I was surprised to find I enjoyed it as much as I did. Now I know all the sad reasons why they push these non-foodies on the tube.

Yes, I felt the exact same way... Susannah looks just like Rachel Ray. They made it a point to emphasize they are looking for someone fresh and new... so I was curious why she made it beyond the initial cuts since her twin has so much air time she's in the Emeril/Bobby Flay realm.

My favorite is Hans. Unlike what the executives desire for their programming, I want to see someone who knows their stuff... not some schmuck who just looks good after hair and make-up. I suppose that's why this is the first Food Network show I've seen from beginning to end since Ming Tsai left.

Speaking of Susannah, I got up today and was surfing the Sunday morning line-up and guess who I saw?!?! Susannah! Yes, she was on some show called Calorie Commando on the Food Network. It looked like an older show because her hair was shorter. Anyway, she wasn't actually hosting the show, but rather sitting and asking questions like others have done on Molto Mario. I found this rather telling because this was the same spot I've seen several others in (i.e. Rocco DiSpirito, Aaron Sanchez) before they had their own hosting gigs on Food Network. It's making me wonder now if she is someone they've done work with in the past and has an unfair advantage over the others.

Edited by bao (log)

Bao, you make some interesting points. Hans clearly made the most inventive and delicious looking egg recipe--frittata soup. (At least I think most would agree with that.) Yet he was in the bottom two and almost cut. I think the food should matter. For just one elimination round I'd like to see each contestant use the same ingredients and be judged on the dish they make from it....without scoring them on their abilities to read the teleprompter and give folksy homilies at the same time. :cool:

Speaking of Susannah, I got up today and was surfing the Sunday morning line-up and guess who I saw?!?!  Susannah!  Yes, she was on some show called Calorie Commando on the Food Network...

Whoa! Call me naive and/or paranoid, but that seems kinda messed up seeing that she's passed off as just another random candidate in the competition... Has the food network started hiring creative talent from Monday night wrestling or something now?

I'm not sure if the contestants are "non-foodies" -- although I'm not sure what it takes to qualify a person as a "foodie." I don't know if I would, or could, call myself a foodie -- but I'm quite sure these contestants are all far better cooks than me...

Having said that, I don't think a great chef necessarily makes a great cooking show personality/teacher? It kinda depends on what your goal is -- if it's just pure entertainment you want, it's cool to watch Martin Yan carve the Taj Mahal out of a turnip in half a second, with a cleaver -- but if you want to inspire people to cook something, having someone who isn't so insanely talented could be less intimidating, you know?

I'm not sure if the contestants are "non-foodies" -- although I'm not sure what it takes to qualify a person as a "foodie."

Bad choice of words on my part. I believe a cooking show should show viewers "how" to cook. For one to have confidence in a candidate to the point of assigning them a leadership position leads one to believe they are superior in their skills and knowledge in that field. The best instructors are those who attended culinary school and know the "correct" way of doing something. A great example of this is the PBS broadcasts of Johnson & Wales. I really enjoy these and feel as though I am a student without the travel, tuition and supply costs. No worries that someone is passing off their bad habits, incorrect information, or improper culinary terms in exchange for another notch in their acting career.

Having said that, I don't think a great chef necessarily makes a great cooking show personality/teacher? --but if you want to inspire people to cook something, having someone who isn't so insanely talented could be less intimidating, you know?

Very true.

Edited by bao (log)

I'm pleased that in last night's episode the correct person was eliminated. I know she's hot, but Harmony needed to be gone. I'm getting worried about my favorite Eric, though, he's looking weaker. I agree that Hans is very strong.

And yes, Susannah does look a lot like Rachel Ray.

People have told me that I could have my own cooking show. This production has been helpful to me in demonstrating what really has to happen to be successful...and even though I maybe "could" do it, I really don't want to, and like Harmony, I feel like I'd be in way over my head. So for that reason, it's very informative, and I have a new respect for those who are successful at this. I realize they may not all be classically trained culinary artists, but they have a unique set of skills that makes their cooking programs educational and entertaining.

Maggie

I'm pleased that in last night's episode the correct person was eliminated. I know she's hot, but Harmony needed to be gone.

I agree. I honestly think the only reason she even made it past the submission tape stage was the "hot" factor. She came across horribly to me and had that tight-lipped fake smile that just made me go "ew". She didn't seem to have a clue how to interact or even look at the camera (but I guess eye contact is an unnecessary skill for a Foot Model...)

I like Eric too, and I hope he can learn to loosen up in front of the camera.

Otherwise I'm rooting for the couple...I enjoy their interactions and it seems like they actually have some decent cooking ideas, if not incredibly wild and different.

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |