• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Live crawfish?

I assume you mean to cook? Never seen them here, and too bad as they do make the BEST stock! They have fresh crayfish on the menu at Ousi Bistro up at 14th and Granville and I was just there for a "Crayfish Festival" I think it went for 10 days-2 weeks or so and seemed to have about 8 crayfish dishes. We had a dish that sounded like that German dessert, Claffoutie (sp?) but can't recall what it was other then it was excellent, and had a crawfish boil that was amazing (though should have worn something old and black when eating that!) I wonder if they would give me the shells to make stock with, hmmm

.....We had a dish that sounded like that German dessert, Claffoutie (sp?) but can't recall what it was other then it was excellent, and had a crawfish boil that was amazing (though should have worn something old and black when eating that!)

I wonder if you mean crawfish ÉTOUFFÉE linky

Something I've always wanted to try :biggrin: so perhaps I'll have to cruise past Ouisi to see if they still have it on the menu. Thanks for the heads up!

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Wow. I was thinking of posting this exact question. After having fresh crawfish for the first time Portland, I could easily become addicted. Unfortunately, I have never seen fresh live ones available here. Only frozen ones at various fish markets, which is a shame. The large pot of freshly steamed crawfish that was delivered to our table a few weeks ago was outstanding. They were so good that I devised a way to get the meat out of the shells with one hand and subjected myself to the agony of pulling them apart with both hands. Damn they were good. :wub:

Locally Crayfish are easily available to 'those in the know'. :biggrin:

Well that's helpful :blink::laugh:

Or... are you perhaps letting us know that you can hook us up if we're looking for the good stuff? :wink::wink:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I'll give Seven Seas a call.

My first taste was in '95 (mid Feb) in Corpus Christi, table for 1 with 5lbs of crawfish all to myself. My 2nd and last taste were purchased live from Pike Place Market (late 90's) and brought them back up to cook the next day.

The last time I was at Seven Seas, they only had frozen ones which looked like they had been frozen for quite some time.

If you give the 7 Seas - 4th store a call and talk to Paul or Diana they will hook you up probably within a day or two. They are awesome :biggrin:

edited to add: No frozen crayfish right now, but im not sure how long the fresh season will last, so you should grab them while you can.

Edited by Macha (log)

Fish is the only food that is considered spoiled once it smells like what it is. - P. J. O'Rourke

Perhaps not what you're looking for, but the live local spot prawns are still rolling in at The Lobster Man on Granville island. They're almost crawfish! I would think they might even be better...anyone compared?

Actually, yes. I had fresh spot prawns about 4 days before I went to Portland and had fresh crawfish. There is absolutely no comparison. The meat is denser and rich, almost like lobster, but quite earthy. Plus, you've got the added enjoyment of getting through the really tough shells to get to the meat and the claws were lots of fun for two crawfish beginners. (One with only her left hand too :laugh: )