• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Name that Tune

The new album from the Beastir Boyz (as discussed on another topic) is great. Any music rocks during prep, during service we have to have silence, and clean-up is usually hip-hop.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

NPR, especially Fresh Air. Though if it is Prairie Home Companion, I gotta sit down and take it in. :biggrin: For a related thread, click here.

Edited by afn33282 (log)
Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

The Dead. Maybe a disc with one of their 20-minute versions of "Not Fade Away" or "Scarlet/Fire" or something equally loud and rhythmic and chaotic and complex. Especially when all four burners, the oven and the ice cream maker are all going, and something needs to be chopped.

Admittedly, it annoys the guests. (and especially my wife, who like Nellie Mackay these days).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I usually go with something like Thievery Corporation or Gotan Project. But in the professional kitchen it's usually Salsa or romantic tunes. Except in this one place which doesn't exist any more, but the cooks were mostly born again christians and they had a few christian hip hop CDs

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

I cook in silence.  I loathe the radio, or any other distraction to what I am doing.  Used to drive me mental at work.  We took turns picking the tunes.  I was not a popular girl on 'Silent Saturdays' as I used to call them  :biggrin:

couldn't agree more. i'm the exact same. at work i prefer to not listen to any music. but i won't make a fuss if the other staff want t olisten to music. the norm is rock and roll. the only time i like listening to music at work is after the shift when we're cleaning

bork bork bork

I like to cook to loads of different stuff .

one lp that never fails to amuse me during service is " Wire - chairs missing "

not only is it a good ol` thought provoking punk, but it also has some irony attached,

as it keeps me wishing for a night where the chairs do go missing and general chaos ensues.

there also seems to be a lot of bands with foody names ie

:-

" lamb "

"half man - half biscuit "

" funki porcini "

" sugar cubes "

"Cap'n Crunch and the Cereal Killers" ( ok that ones a bit obscure )

"ice T "

"meat beat manifesto "

"the beat "

" the jam "

any one think of any more? cos my heads just caved in .

tt

any one think of any more? cos my heads just caved in .

String Cheese Incident

Meatloaf

Fish (ok, that's pushing it)

And now that you mentioned Sugar Cubes, About a year ago I was cooking with Bjork a whole lot.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español